Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Is it possible to sync playlists between iphones?

Solved!

Is it possible to sync playlists between iphones?

I had a bunch of local files that I synced to my iPhone a good while back. Everything was good.

Since then though, that computer crashed and the local files were not backed up. No biggie, I still had my music on my phone.

But then I got a new iPhone, and suddenly remembered that my local files were gone, and thus I could not sync the local files from there.

Is it possible to sync between iPhones? I still have the old iPhone available and intact.

Or even if it's possible to sync back to a local file on my new computer, but I'm guessing that could be a method of file sharing so that idea is out the window.

Both phones are jailbroken, so if it's a simple matter of moving hashed files then that could be done, and I am curious to know how to tell which files to copy.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I solved the thing.

Not entirely sure if this is okay to post, admins can please remove the post if its contents are against community policies.

What you need to get to your old mp3 files (that remain unhashed, I might add) back, here's what I did.

My old iPhone 5S that I mention in this thread is jailbroken. Thus I can use iFunbox to access the raw file system, and that's where I found the mp3 files.

Under /var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/[App ID for Spotify (mine was 4AFC699A-F10D-42EB-A5DD-43785BEA67E3)]/Library/Application Support/PersistentCache/Users/[username]-user/LocalSync/ - That is where your mp3 files will be.
They are renamed to a hashed filename, but their metadata with correct tags are still very much intact. The only thing that's changed about the mp3 files are the filenames.

Simply copy the files over to the PC, run an auto renamer (such as TagScanner) to rename them back to their old hypthetical glory, put them in a synced folder on your PC, restart Spotify, get them onto your new device.
Bob's your uncle, or so I hear.

Thanks for the help anyway @kbrooksc, I really appreciate it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hey there @Chokehold!

There are two good options that Apple recommends.

1) iCloud Backup - You'd back up the old phone to iCloud and login on the new phone and restore the old backup to the new one. 

2) You could link them up to iTunes if both phones still work. You'd just need to install iTunes on a computer of your choosing and then backup the old phone. From there, you'd restore the music/entire backup if you want of the old phone to the new phone.

Here's a link to Apple's Support site that details both options - https://support.apple.com/HT201269

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Hi there @kbrooksc!

Thank you for your swift response.

Unfortunately, neither iTunes nor iCloud backups retain the actual locally stored files of the applications.

The backups retain, as far as I'm aware at least, which apps you had on your phone, where they were geographically placed on your dash in relation to each other (groupings and such), and then your Spotify account (that you sign into) holds the playlists and their respective information, after the app has gotten done downloading anew from the app store.

After that, it will search whichever PC is logged onto the same account AND network, and if it matches, local files will be synced.

Backing up and re-syncing your backups is the default process when switching phones altogether and works great, but Spotify was not designed to work this way with syncing between handheld devices, and I speculate it is due to an anti-piracy regulation or some such.

With that said, I will try the iCloud backup method and see if it maybe could hold the key.
I have always had too much to backup to put on iCloud (the free plan is 5GB storage and my photos take up maybe like 10GB alone) and as such only ever used the iTunes method when moving on to a new phone - and the process described above has applied those times.

Thank you again for your response, I will respond back after charging up this old phone and trying the iCloud thing. 🙂

Agreed - Apple actually says that indirectly. Not sure it will work, but it's worth a go regardless!

Marked as solution

I solved the thing.

Not entirely sure if this is okay to post, admins can please remove the post if its contents are against community policies.

What you need to get to your old mp3 files (that remain unhashed, I might add) back, here's what I did.

My old iPhone 5S that I mention in this thread is jailbroken. Thus I can use iFunbox to access the raw file system, and that's where I found the mp3 files.

Under /var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/[App ID for Spotify (mine was 4AFC699A-F10D-42EB-A5DD-43785BEA67E3)]/Library/Application Support/PersistentCache/Users/[username]-user/LocalSync/ - That is where your mp3 files will be.
They are renamed to a hashed filename, but their metadata with correct tags are still very much intact. The only thing that's changed about the mp3 files are the filenames.

Simply copy the files over to the PC, run an auto renamer (such as TagScanner) to rename them back to their old hypthetical glory, put them in a synced folder on your PC, restart Spotify, get them onto your new device.
Bob's your uncle, or so I hear.

Thanks for the help anyway @kbrooksc, I really appreciate it.

Unorthodox for sure. Glad to hear that you found a solution that worked for you!

Suggested posts