Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local Files Issue / Syncing Issue

Local Files Issue / Syncing Issue

I must that the iOS app for Spotiy seems to bring up more issues, then it fixes with every update.

I now have 'local files' on my iPhone, that are greyed out. This means I can't listen to them. On my Mac I've deleted all local files, but the syncing does not go to the Iphone, there the local files remain and remain unplayable. 

If I want to resync the local files, the Mac Application is just pending and I have been pending for more then an hour. Nothings happening.

Then there is the issue that when you do sync, the app doesn't prevent the iPhone form locking and gives an error message that the connection is lost. This means that I'm required to change settings everytime in iOS or keep tapping the screen so the syncing will not be interupted.

The main solution to all my problems is reinstalling the app (EVERY SINGLE TIME), but I have quite a few playlists that I want to have available offline, wich means that it takes up to 30 minutes to sync everything. I have to do this on a weekly basis.

Also I'm suprised to see many "new features" in the iOS app, magically dissapear in a new update. I've arranged my whole library with the new function of "Album Seperation", so I deleted all single playlists... and *POOF* with the next update album seperation within the Artist Menu is gone, without any warning... 

I short: The iOS app is really getting on my nerves and I expect a little more when paying good money.

3 Replies

There is a current bug in the iOS app that causes some local files with (parenthesis, commas, dashes, etc.) to keep uncyncing.

This bug might be what is causing you to have problems. The current work around is to reinstall the app and resync the local files.

The developers are currently investigating this bug. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

The reason the app doesn't sync in the background is because of the API limits that Apple has. Also, I think there are restrictions to having the app not lock the screen. That is why you have to keep the app open and turn off auto-lock on your iPhone.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I am experiencing the exact same problem as the OP.

And it is with *ALL* of my own local files as sync'ed to the iPhone from my files on my Mac.  Nothing to do with special characters in the names of the files.

Do I really have to remove Spotify from my phone, install it again, and then re-sync *everything* back to Spotify? including my own local files? and everything else that has been copied locally from spotify for Offline Use??  14GB of music total!!!

That is a major PITA, makes me want to explore Spotify's competitors....

When can we get a fix for this please? 

I have been having issues with local files for months now. It seems random tracks unsync themselves over time. Initially I was able to resolve this annoying issue by connecting to wifi and resyncing with Spotify open on my Mac. Then certain tracks just stopped syncing at all. I removed the tracks from my computer and then readded them and this worked in the beginning but this stopped being effective as well. Then what happened was that a good 40% of my local file library just didn't show in the "Local Files" playlist. I ended up having to remove those local files altogether from Spotify and just get on without them, but I have needed them in a few instances so decided to try one more time a couple of months ago. Unfortunately now only 800ish songs show in the "Songs" section of Local Files when I have 45K+ songs in my library. When I actually click on "Local Files" it says I have 45,0000 songs but does not display a single one of them, in fact this causes Spotify to crash and I have to 'Force Quit' in order to get it to close or open again. I contacted Spotify "Help" and was told that they were aware of issues with the 'Local Files" function and were working on resolving this, but that was months ago and so far there has been no resolve. I am trialling Apple Music at the moment as at least I have full access to my entire iTunes library now, but much prefer the general Spotify user experience, but there are 500 local files that I would like to access on Spotify but can't. It would be a shame for me to have to terminate my Spotify account as I want to keep using it but this issue seems to be forcing me to go to Apple Music. I have troubleshot (?) all the various recommended processes and have had no success at all. It would be truly brilliant if Spotify could just resolve this one issue so that I didn't end my relationship with them.

Suggested posts