Premium

Country

Australia

Device

IOS, IPhone 6

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

When trying to use the local files feature I am able to download the songs and put them on playlists but when I go to play one of the songs on my phone it will pop up at the bottom and then disappear and not play anything. On the laptop it works fine and I am able to play the local file songs.

3 Replies

Hi @tommelmore,

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We're happy to help.

Even though some other file types might work, these are the ones that the feature is designed to work with:

• .mp3
  • .m4p (unless it contains video)
  • .mp4 (if QuickTime is installed on your computer)
  • .m4a (unless it’s an Apple lossless file; ALAC or ALE)

To sync local files from one device to another, you must be actively logged in to both devices with Spotify open and on the same network

Local files can be turned on/off in the Settings menu.

Also - Make sure that the file isn't DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected Note: If you have iTunes, you can check for DRM protected tracks by following these steps.

We also suggest that you try the following:

• Add some songs from our catalogue to the playlist as well as the local file/s and make sure they have ‘Show unavailable songs in playlists’ turned on in Settings

• Play some music on the device that has the local files to see if it shows via Connect on the other device

• Make sure the router supports the Bonjour protocol. If the router is made after 2005, it will likely have this protocol. The best way to handle this is to check the router make/model and Google it

Another useful step in is to change the source folder of the local files on the pc. The steps are: Uninstall Spotify on both devices > create a new folder somewhere else on the pc and move the local files there > install Spotify again > remove any potential source folders and add the new one > download the playlist again.

Keep us posted. We're always one reply away.

Cheers!

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Everything is very open with a clear description of the issues. It was truly informative. Your website is very helpful. Many thanks for sharing!

Thank you. Your example didn't work for me but I managed to fix it, which was basically the same thing!

Suggested posts