Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local file crossfade- glitched as of latest update?

Local file crossfade- glitched as of latest update?

Operating System

iOS 12.5.1

App Version

My Question or Issue

I've been using crossfade with local files for some time and had no issues with it. The recent update to the iOS app has had the unfortunate side effect that now when the local files fade in or out, the audio is choppy and glitched out. Is there some way to fix this? Failing that, is is possible to have crossfade for non-local file tracks but keep it for regular tracks?

19 Replies

Hey there @daoneandonly747

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

First up, it's well worth running a clean reinstall to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. This one is more thorough than the usual one. 

On another note, could you let us know if this is happening on a different device too or only on your phone?

Lastly, it's not possible to have crossfade only for regular tracks. 

Let us know how it goes 🙂

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I am having the same issue! I am a fitness instructor and i teach at different studios with multiple devices: my ipad, my mac and my phone. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app on all devices logged out and back in MULTIPLE TIMES and nothing. Please fix this. Not having crossfade during a fitness class is brutal. Please don’t make me go back to the dark ages and use itunes! 

Hey @_y2i4trz-qfi,

Thanks for getting in touch with us 🙂

It sounds like this could be an account-related issue. Could you try with another account on the same devices to check if anything changes?

Tip: Keep in mind that Spotify is for personal entertainment only and not for commercial use. If you want to stream music in a commercial environment, you can check out our friends at Soundtrack Your Brand.

Keep us in the loop! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you for your reply!

I've now tried a full uninstall and reinstall on my usual device, plus installing it on another iOS device too, but both still suffer from the stuttering audio during the crossfade.

Do you have any further suggestions?

Hi again @daoneandonly747,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Could you try to import/sync your Local Files again using a different Internet connection, such as another WiFi network or a mobile hotspot? Is there any difference?

If possible, could you try using a different account, like a friend's or relative's, and let us know how it works?

Make sure to follow all the steps in this article.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

Same here, newest update made the crossfade for local files to result in a skipping cd sound from either start or end.  Reinstalled both the mobile IOS and desktop apps rigorously with no results.

Hey @r-shermanator,

Thank you for your post in this thread. 

Can you confirm if you followed these steps when you reinstalled the app? This is different from a quick reinstall and could be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Same thing happened to me this week. Since Monday, Local file songs are glitching in the beginning and in the end of each one while using crossfade. If I deactivate the crossfade the glitching stops. 

This problem only happens on my MacBook. 

I tried rebooting my computer, logging out and in again, uninstalling Spotify and then installing it again; also moving my local files folder to another location; but the problem continues.

I hope this problem gets solved soon because I hate playing my playlists without crossfade.

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts.

We suggest that you head over here. You can do the troubleshooting that's provided in there. 

If that doesn't do the trick, leave the information that's being asked for in there so that we can pass it on to the right team.

If you have any questions we're always happy to help.

Take care!

JeremyModerator

My local files were working perfectly fine with crossfade on my iphone and desktop until the latest software update. It was working great this morning on my desktop and then I accepted the new software update and now it’s all messed up. Clean reinstalls will not solve this problem because it’s a bug in the new software. The only solution right now is to download an earlier version of Spotify. 

Hey there @Nomad365,

Thank you for your post in this thread.

We suggest that you have a look at my latest reply in this thread and follow the steps that's provided in it 🙂

If you have any questions we're always one reply away.

Take care!

JeremyModerator

That doesn’t work Jeremy because there’s a bug in the latest update. Please stop wasting our time and take this issue to the software team so they can fix it and put out another update. 

Jeremy, do you have any local files on your devices? If you’ve updated to the latest software version and you use crossfade on them then you’ll see for yourself that they studder and skip

Hey @Nomad365

Thanks for getting back to us. 

We're currently gathering info in order to report this issue to the team in charge. 

We'd recommend adding your +VOTE and giving us the requested info in the Status Update of the thread that @Jeremy previously mentioned. 

If anything else comes up, we'll be right here.

Have a good one.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I don’t know what any if that means....stop wasting all of our time and fix the damn bug already

Hi @Nomad365

Thanks for your reply. 

We understand where you're coming from. However, keep in mind that we still need more info from the users that are experiencing this issue.

Once we have it, we can go ahead and let the right folks know about what's happening. It's important that we gather as much info as we can so this can be looked into as soon as possible.

In the Status Update of the thread we previously mentioned, you'll find which information you'll need to provide in order to report this. You can leave it as a comment in the thread. 

If you have any other questions, just let us know. 

Cheers.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

please go to this thread Novy to gather more information for this issue. We’ve already provided the info that you need. It’s a bug in the lastest software update across all devices/platforms. 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Local-files-playback-issues-with-crossfade-on/idc-p/...

Hey @Nomad365,

Thanks for posting.

We assure you that we regularly monitor all reports users send us in the Ongoing Issue. It would be best to subscribe to the thread, if you haven't already. We'll share any updates on the matter there, as soon as there are any.

Hope this info is useful. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Adding my experiences here. I have the same issue since 2/20/21 when I updated from the latest software available at the time (8.6.2.1041) to my iPhone 11 Plus which is running on the latest iOS. I tried a re-install twice, both times did not fix the problem. I tried clearing my cache, re-synching the files, switching battery optimization mode off, I tried using my old iPhone 7 Plus, downloaded the update, also caused glitching. I was messaging Spotify support on Twitter at this time and they gave me the login info to a test account to see if it happened there. Sure enough, it did. Basically everything they suggested did not work. I'm currently running version 8.6.6.1099 on my main phone which I downloaded today and the issue is still present. Basically, the glitched choppy audio lasts for as long as the crossfade bar is toggled. Mine is toggled to 6 seconds, so if a local file is beginning or ending, the audio will be glitched for 6 seconds.

I'm adding an excerpt of the glitch that I sent to the support staff on Twitter, hopefully it is playable here and hopefully this gets fixed ASAP because this is a MAJOR INCONVENIENCE for paying Premium members.

Suggested posts