Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local files disappearing and not downloading correctly

Solved!

Local files disappearing and not downloading correctly

Hi,

I have some songs downloaded onto my local files and added to a playlist. When I download the playlist then un-download it they all grey out and disappear from the local files and I have to re-link the local files in the settings to get them back (related to the below?).

Now while that isn't a huge issue they aren't downloading to my Iphone aswell. I've looked up all the Q & A's on here and nothing has worked. I've checked everything, my firewall, making sure they are on the same internet even hotspotting off my Iphone and attempting to download which the download gets stuck and doesn't do anything, re-installing Spotify on my Iphone and laptop.

I would be grateful if you could help! - Matt

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi Katerina,

Thanks for all the support I really appreciate it! 

I’ve gotten it to work by moving my songs to another folder within the original folder I was using. Not sure why it worked but possibly something to look into?

Anyways, thanks a lot!!

-Matt

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Hey there @DropTheFlop,

Thanks for posting about this here in the Community!

You mention that: 

I have some songs downloaded onto my local files and added to a playlist. When I download the playlist then un-download it they all grey out and disappear from the local files and I have to re-link the local files in the settings to get them back (related to the below?).

Just to confirm, is this happening on a desktop device where your local files are stored?

We'd recommend making sure to follow the steps listed here for each device you're using and then following the steps below to add and access your local files to your iPhone:

i. First, you'll need to make sure your local files are added successfully on your desktop device:

1. Click 
  2. Click Settings
  3. Scroll down to Local Files and switch Show Local Files on. 
  4. Any files in your computer's My Music and Downloads folders are automatically selected. Switch off any sources you don't want Spotify to access. 
  5. Click ADD A SOURCE to select another folder. 
  6. You’ll now find music from that folder in Local Files in the menu on the left.

ii. Once your local songs are imported on your desktop device, you can follow the steps below from your iPhone device. Keep in mind that you'll need to have a Premium subscription for this to work:

1. Add the files to a new playlist in the desktop app:
    1. Click New Playlist in the menu on the left.
    2. Give your playlist a name and click CREATE.
    3. Drag and drop your local files into this playlist.
  2. Log in on your mobile or tablet using the same WiFi network as your desktop app.
  3. On your mobile device, select the playlist containing the local files.
  4. On your mobile device, switch Download on in that playlist.

Further, note that in order for your local files to play on your mobile/iPhone device, the playlist containing them will need to stay downloaded.

Hope this helps clarify things! If you're having troubles, don't hesitate to give us a shout. We'll be happy to lend a hand.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Hi Katerina,

Thank you got replying to me! I’ve followed the steps and when I press the download button/switch it gets stuck on ‘Downloading waiting to download’. Attached is a screenshot of this from my phone. For reference the 3 songs in the playlist are local files which seem to be working but the other songs aren’t which is rather strange. I previously had some other local file songs downloaded which won’t re-download (I un-downloaded them all to try and fix this myself)

I can confirm my phone has enough storage and is on the same WiFi as my laptop. I’m unsure how I can solve this issue, if you need any more information from me please let me know. Apologies for this.

D1BC51BF-3FE9-4273-851B-62095D80BB51.png

Hey again @DropTheFlop,

Thanks for getting back in touch and adding these details, they're very helpful!

Just to confirm, are you on the latest Spotify version available on all your devices? You can follow the steps here to check this on each of your devices.

We'd also recommend checking the following:

• Make sure that all devices here are removed - you might need to reinstall the app after doing so
  • Make sure that your devices are up to speed with the latest OS versions available
  • Restart your router 
  • Your iPhone device isn't routed
  • The local files you're trying to download are supported. There's more info on this here.

You can also try the suggestions provided in this Spotify Answer.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be right here if you need more help.

KaterinaModerator
Marked as solution

Hi Katerina,

Thanks for all the support I really appreciate it! 

I’ve gotten it to work by moving my songs to another folder within the original folder I was using. Not sure why it worked but possibly something to look into?

Anyways, thanks a lot!!

-Matt

Hey there @DropTheFlop,

Glad to hear the steps in the Spotify Answer did the trick!

If there's anything we can help with, don't hesitate to give us a shout. We'll be spotify:track:3XgUjOPSPjqRTSDRMvZqlJ

Have a lovely day and enjoy your tunes 🙂

KaterinaModerator

Did all these steps. Some files work while others don't. Why would this be?

Hey there @DannyJude,

Thank you for your post. We're happy to help you 🙂

Would you mind confirming if you had a look at our support site that was provided by @Katerina to make sure your files are supported? You can find it here.

If that doesn't do the trick, would you mind sending us a screen recording or screenshots? It will help us understand what's going on directly from your end.

Keep us posted. We're always one reply away.

Cheers!

ElenaModerator

Hey, I'm not sure if you guys are still active on here but I've been having some issues for the past few hours regarding my local files, so earlier today I went on my files app to download more songs for my playlist but after loading up the app, my spotify folder was just gone like it straight up disappeared, the downloaded songs are still on my spotify but now I can't download any more songs to my local files. I checked my recently deleted its not there. I had like around 107 downloads in the folder so maybe it could be due to an issue of having too much songs? Idk I have no idea, please let me know if there might be any solutions to this thank you.

Hi @dan183,

Try rebooting your device and the Spotify folder should show up in your Files app. Make sure also that you're following the steps from this article.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Suggested posts