Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

My local files from desktop won't download on iphone

My local files from desktop won't download on iphone

I have been setting up local files for a while but now all of a sudden i added a new one and then added it to a separate playlist and it won't download despite that playlist having downloaded the others.

I tried to undownload then redownload the playlist and all that did is result in me losing half the downloads on iphone. I also uninstalled and reinstalled spotify on both devices only for nothing to happen and me to lose all of the local files on iphone.
7 Replies

Hi there @d3c,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community.

Sorry to hear that you're having such issues with the local files on your iPhone.

I'd recommend going through the troubleshooting steps listed in this Article. Most often a network restriction can cause this to happen, so the best thing to do is to create a new playlist with local files, connect both your computer and phone to another network (it can be a mobile hotspot from your phone) and try synching the files again.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello!!
So i tried what you recommended as well as what is in the post and unfortunately nothing came of it. The fixes didn't seem to work at all with it and i tried them multiple times.

Hey there @d3c,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry to hear that the troubleshooting from the article didn't help.

Can you let us know what types of files you're using and how they were obtained?

Looking forward to your reply.

AlexModerator

Hey!

The files are mp3 and there isn't really one specific place I got them. Couple of different places so nowhere specific sorry if that doesn't help

Hi there @d3c,

Thanks for the reply.

Spotify supports only local files obtained from legal sources, so we can't guarantee that music downloaded from unofficial sites and online converters will work as expected.

Apart from that, what you can try is to make sure that the file names don't contain any special symbols like: ?,',*,&,% etc. or any letters outside of the standard English alphabet. This could be causing the files to not be read by the app.

Hope this helps.

AlexModerator

Hey! 

I checked the files and none of them appear to have these symbols. The files are from legal sources as far as i am aware and i make sure not to download files from illegal sources due to security concerns. 

The files did use to work. It's not like they never worked just that they no longer work on Iphone, but again they have always worked on desktop.

Hey @d3c,

Thanks for the reply.

It is important to make sure, that the are not DRM protected, as this will most certainly cause issues when trying to import them as local files. 

Could you also try syncing the files using a different account on a different iPhone? How did that go?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Suggested posts