Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

My spotify apps stop playing in background but there is no option in iOS to fix this.

My spotify apps stop playing in background but there is no option in iOS to fix this.

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

ipad mini 3 and iphone 10

Operating System

iOS

My Question or Issue

Cannot play music when my phone sleeps anymore. Or when i close the spotify application on my ipad. I do not see the ability to change this in the settings.

12 Replies

I have a very similar issue, when using the Bluetooth or car play, after a few second or minutes, the music stops.

I tried everything, deleted and reinstalled the app, login out of all my Spotify accounts/devices, even did a full restore of my iPhone. I am a die hard Spotify user but makes me want to go to another platform...

I have no issue when I am using podcasts, Bandcamp or even SoundCloud apps.

thanks!

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

Could you also try using the Sign Out Everywhere option in your Spotify account page?

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

Hi Loxer,

Thank you for your suggestions!

I already tried to restart my device, delete and reinstall the Spotify app, and even restored my phone from scratch. My Spotify is still not working properly when playing music, cutting out after a minute or so. No issue with Podcast, Soundcloud, Bandcamp or Apple Music....

Spotify version: 8.5.79.1024

iOS version 14.0.1

Thank you, 
Corentin

Hey @Nexialisme,

Thanks for getting back to us and for all the troubleshooting done so far.

When apps stop playing in the background this is usually due to power saving settings. Do you happen do have any battery optimization apps active? If so, could you make sure that Spotify is added as an exception or stop them altogether and let us know if that makes a difference?

It would be also really helpful if you could log in to another account on your device and let us know if the same issue comes up. If you don't have the option to use a friend or family members you can create one here

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi @Mihail

Thank you for the suggestions. I just tried with another account and the same issue happened. 

Also, I don't have any battery optimization app, and background app refresh is opted-in. 

Not sure what else to do 😕 

Best,

Corentin 

Hey @Nexialisme,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Just to make sure that we're on the same page - this issue comes up only when you use CarPlay or connect via Bluetooth, right?

Have you checked for updates for Car Play app? It might be also a good idea to remove the app completely and installing it anew.

Could you also share if the app stops when connecting only to specific devices via Bluetooth (and their make and model) or in general?

Keep us posted, we'll be keeping an eye out for your reply.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Mihail,

I just tried and the app stops playing even when not connected to CarPlay or any Bluetooth.

If I keep the Spotify app opened and let it play,  it's playing correctly. The issue only happens when the app is playing in the background. 

Also, it doesn't have any effect if I play a song that is stored on local vs streaming. 

Thanks so much!

I just tried another time to delete and reinstall the Spotify app and it seems that the new version (8.5.80.1178) solves the issue.

Thank you for all the support Mihail!

This exact same issue seems to have come back in version 8.6.54.1230

might be related to the global ios setting that allows apps to request user feedback and reviews. I am testing it now to see if this setting has an impact on spotify stability.

changing the global ios setting seems to have resolved the problem.

Hi there @AlpacaChan,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

It's really nice of you to share your solution with the other users. We're glad to see that everything works as it should for you.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care 🙂

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts