Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New version 1.x is unusably slow (ios 7, iphone 5)

Solved!

New version 1.x is unusably slow (ios 7, iphone 5)

Update 4/24: New build 1.1.0.2549 seems to be available on the app store with an apology in the app description... I'm still testing it out but many users here report the problem is solved.

Update 4/20: User named Matt Suda (mod?) has posted in this thread to expect an app update this week. No official word.

Update 4/07-ish: Spotify support says they are aware of the problem and "looking into it."

Spotify just upgraded itself to the newest 1.0 version on my iPhone 5 (iOS 7.1). The update renders the app unusably slow. After using it for several hours I had to revert back to the Apple Music app. Things I noticed:

- After augmenting a playlist (deleting a track, for example), the app is unresponsive for ~5 second.

- Clicking "Share" from the new popup menu renders the app unresponsive for ~5 seconds, and then executes several actions all at once.

- The (REV, PLAY, FWD) controls from the lock screen are unresponsive after the first command. Tracks take about 5-10 seconds to switch, and if I keep pressing FWD, for example, the requests seem to be queued, executing over the next minute at random times.

- Scrolling becomes slow / unresponsive. I must wait 5-10 seconds for scrolling in any list to be re-enabled.

Usability-wise I am unimpressed with the new search / discovery feature. I found it difficult to view all albums by a particular artist. I have to search, then scroll down to Albums, and then click on Albums to view all of them. Maybe there were more albums listed in the previous version?

Anyone else having these issues? The app is basically unusable at this stage, so I'm using the built in Apple Music app. Tempted to unsubscribe until the issue is resolved.

253 Replies
Marked as solution

New update version 1.1 is now out!
MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Just got it, the Shuffle button on the "Songs" tab is weird!

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

"Fixed - We've banished some crashes" - #sigh# - doesn't fill me with a whole load of confidence. And not even an acknowledgement that the app has been running like cr@p for weeks!

hm… an annoying wait, true…

However, it says on top that they apologize… as for a more detailed explenation on what they did to fix the errors, if they have that is… - I'm not sure it's custumary to include exactly WHAT they did.

Hope it's back in business now - haven't opened it in weeks…

still, life goes on… 🙂

The lag has been fixed (finally). However, I'm still not getting album artwork on much the songs I play. 

The new update fixing the lag is working great. Thank you for helping getting it fixed All our complaints worked!

Works great with the new update. Thank you very much!
What lies beneath the surface, that dark and twisted grin?
A mind so full of evil, and soulless heart within.

Yupi ! I can confirm, it's okey now, but... Since update to 1 version Spotify don't show album covers songs that are synchronised via local files 😞 This is of course less annoying than slow performance during changing songs 😉

Album art for local files should be fixed in a future update.
MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Great, good to know they're working on that.

I have to say it works fluid again, no lag anymore on my iPod 4. Another thing I noticed in this update is that I can skip forward and backwards songs by swiping on the minimized bar on the bottom, something that didn't work on the big update but worked on older versions. So, that's another good thing. No more struggle and huge distractions while using the iPod in my car.

Just a quesion: Is there any way to scroll faster (to the bottom of the list) on the iOS based app? On Android I can access any part of the list quickly by using the sidebar, apart from scrolling. Thanks.

Since i upgrade to Spotify 1.0.0.3251 on my iPhone 4 the app is impractical, lost of friction. We should get our money back, just April. 

If next month doesn´t get better i´ll downgrade to the free version.  

And I want April money back.

Marked as solution

You should now be able to update to v1.1 @Marieto2 from the App Store which brings some improvements.

Peter

so. it means it wont get better on my iphone? it worked fine until i updated...

Sorry typo should say "now" 😉

Peter

Version 1.1xxxxx is much better. Just one thing I've noticed though is that 10 seconds before the end of a track it says it's playing the next track...

"SPOT" ON my friend!

This new update is an absolute train wreck and I agree using a community versus an actual support team is totally bogus. I too have the same problems; the app is much worse than desktop but still both are worthless. By the way I'm a long time premium subscriber.

Speaking on the app itself I echo the following complaints;

1). App takes centuries to open/close, playlists need to sync or are not all visible.

2). App is unresponsive and seems to finally catch up delivering every command at once.

3). Track times have "numeric convulsions" catching up half way through the song.

4). The track playing half the time is not the track displayed.

5). In radio we call it a sec tone. The tone tells the song to segue at the predetermined mark into the next song. You can't segue anymore & when it attempts to do so it either crashes & closes or it will go back to the aforementioned #2.

6). Force closure happens when Spotify wants to update & kicks you out or because you haven't gone back online in weeks they have to like all the other big brothers force close you out of the app so they can "see what you're listening to & clicking on." Can't you just wait until the end of the 30 day cycle?

7) I'm here to listen to music not necessarily connect & follow people & sign up for more apps withing apps within apps & I can care less about being trendy & making everything a social experience & looking like Google, Facebook or Twitter.

8). Too many press this swipe that to get from point A to point B. What is this? Android?

Did I mention I'm a long time premium subscriber.

Hey,

I'm not sure if I should open a new discussion for my issue, so here it is: I cannot play songs in "Extreme" music quality anymore, I mean they stop every few seconds to load. This is when I use 3G only.

Before yesterday's update I was able to play only in "Normal" quality, but now "High" seems to be possible as well.

With Spotify's previous version, I mean before the major update I was able to play in "Extreme" quality without problems, again over 3G...for as long as I've been using Spotify on my phone I've been listening in the highest quality possible so this should not be related to my 3G speed.

Could it be that the app is heavier now?

Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks! 

The lastest build solved absolutely nothing, it is still the same slow bugged crap. Im also thinking about unsubscribing if this **bleep** doesnt get solved fast. May is my limit.

And please cut the fanboy/employee propaganda to a minimum (you know who you are, spamming useless "advice" everywhere around for cheap uneducated points), its been there for a month or so and NOTHING has been fixed. Very sad, really...

Hm, so far the update runs pretty smooth on my iPhone 4. However i haven't tried to provoke any bugs yet.

No massive lag, or sound issues like before, after this last update though. Weird how some have the same problems while others don't.

I can confirm, works like a charm now on 4s. Tried to provoke bugs but I didn't make it 🙂

Suggested posts