Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Play local music files not on Spotify

Play local music files not on Spotify

I’m sure this has been asked a thousand times, but the Community is not easily navigated.  I’m brand new to Spotify after trying just about every other music streaming service out there.  It seems great except that I can’t listen to Garth Brooks (the boss’ favorite) even though I have his songs on my iPhone, iPad and desktop and local files is activated.  I have quite a few other albums not on Spotify either, so it will be a deal breaker if I can’t listen to my local music on Spotify everywhere.  For example, on Apple Music I can upload all the Garth Brooks onto iTunes and still ask Siri to play it on Apple Music whether I’m home, in the car, in another state etc.   FYI the songs are in a playlist, but are grayed out when I’m not on my home network (even though the songs are physically on my phone and tablet as well). 

What am I missing?

Thank you!

4 Replies

Hi there @Gman69,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community and welcome!

You can import your Local files to Spotify on your desktop app and sync them with your mobile app to listen to them in your phone. To do so, you just need to follow the steps in this article.

To sync local files from one device to another, you must be actively logged in to both devices with Spotify open and on the same network.

Also, make sure that the files aren't DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected. If you have iTunes, you can check for DRM protected tracks by following these steps.

We hope this helps. If you have any questions, we'll be right here.

Cheers 🙂

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Thank you, but that doesn’t tell me how I can listen to those local files outside my network.  Any advice on that?

Hi again @Gman69,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

To be able to listen to your Local files outside your network, you just need to download them to your phone once you've synced your playlist to it by tapping on  .

Let us know how it goes or if you have any further questions.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

you have to tap the download button for the playlist that has the local files in them. And to sync them you have to have spotify open in your laptop that is connected to the same wifi network as your phone.

https://support.spotify.com/us/article/listen-to-local-files/

Suggested posts