Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlist skips 20-30 seconds into each song

Solved!

Playlist skips 20-30 seconds into each song

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 6 in combination with Windows 10 desktop player

Operating System

iOS 12 / Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I connect my bluetooth headphones to my phone to play music at work since my work computer doesn't have bluetooth.  Then I use the desktop app as a "remote" to control playback through the phone.  I have done this for months.  Today while listening to the "Brain Food" playlist, spotify started skipping 20 to 30 seconds into each song after the previous song was done.  This essentially makes Spotify unusable.  I've never seen this behaviour before.  I'm guessing there is a bug having to do with crossfading, which I have disabled.  If it crossfaded the songs, but then actually failed to blend the songs and just started the second song where it -would- have been 100% that song after crossfade ended.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

It seems to be patched with an extra option in settings.

Go to Settings -> Automix and turn it off. (was under advanced settings on Desktop)

No more annoying crossfades in the Spotify playlists! Yeah!

View solution in original post

30 Replies

Hey @coolbackyard and welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

This is an expected behaviour on some playlists made by Spotify where songs are crossfaded.

However, if you don't like this, I’d suggest starting a new thread in the Community Ideas Exchange.

This’ll allow users, Stars, and Moderators to vote and comment on it 🙂

No, this is not expected behaviour.   It isn't crossfaded.  When one song ends it just skips 20-30 seconds into the next song with zero crossfade.

I suggest you read my comment again.

Hey @coolbackyard,

To clear the things up, in this playlist songs get skipped different sections of time into each other and don't start where they're supposed to when your crossfade option is on or off?

Thanks!

Correct, songs get the first 20-30 seconds of them chopped off.  I have crossfade disabled.

I mentioned a bug with crossfade thinking a spotify developer could see that and know where in the algorithm to start looking for a bug.  It appears that it "thinks" it needs to crossfade the songs, but then just starts the next song where a 20 to 30 second crossfade (which is a huuuge crossfade) would end and just the current song remains playing.

Hey @coolbackyard,

Sorry for the delay 🙂

Could you check this playlist on another device or with another account to see if the same thing happens?

Also, would you mind sharing the link to it?

Please note that as I already mentioned some of playlists made by Spotify have this type of crossfade by default and it's tweaked by Spotify so there's no option to turn that off and this playlist you're listeting to might be one of them.

Thanks 🙂

I've also noticed this issue, for example with the Spotify playlist "Brain Food" skipping the first 10-25 seconds of songs. I've used this playlist for the last few years and never noticed this before. It's also very interesting to me that this ONLY happens on some of these playlists. It's like there was an attempt to crossfade it, but as others mention, it just cuts off the beginnings of songs.

* Platforms:

MacOS  - v1.1.5.153.gf614956d

Android - v8.5.3.716

* Cross-fade disabled

Like I mentioned, the playlist is Spotify's "Brain Food" playlist.

https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/37i9dQZF1DWXLeA8Omikj7?si=vJarbeZeRzeHx3O04VMHrw

As the other commenter corroborated, it only happens with this playlist.

This occurs on both mobile and the desktop app.

I'm encountering this same issue on my iPhone XS Max with the Lo-Fi Beats playlist as well. It will play a song until it's end and then the next song starts playing by skipping the first 20 seconds in and not from the beginning. I just listened to this playlist yesterday and it was NOT having this issue

iOS version 12.2

Spotify version 8.5.2.666

EDIT: I just updated Spotify to version 8.5.3.784 on my phone and the issue persists. Have also encountered the issue when trying it on my Desktop app as well.

I recently started experiencing the same thing in "Lo-Fi Beats". Sometimes it skips 40 seconds into the next song, with some crossfade for approximately 3-5 seconds. Happens both on my Mac and on my Android device. I used to have crossfade set to 1 second, and now I've turned the option completely off, and it still skips way into songs cutting them off.

I've gone through a few songs and they systematically cuts off the intro to the songs, so this does seem to be an intentional feature.

Here's a way to reproduce it:

Open the playlist [Lo-Fi Beats].

Go to this song [chapter], skip to the last few seconds and experience it skipping to 35 seconds into the next song [Proud of You] even if you have crossfade explicitly turned off.

Could we get an option to turn this feature off?

[Lo-Fi Beats] https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/37i9dQZF1DWWQRwui0ExPn?si=6kFzME-GTNmjEViUUOlH7w

[chapter] https://open.spotify.com/track/79e0IMV7d0IgXrKQmCPspS?si=z86ITESORoGhAzIVK3uPlQ

[Proud of You] https://open.spotify.com/track/6mRmaBAb8ysO3pcGDaegL2?si=kXqQHIC7RHWnkKgTDItEng

Same problem, playlist Brain Food and Lo-Fi Beats. Very annoying! and keeps happening randomly for last months and now persists. Happens with crossfading on and off, after restart, reinstall and cleaning of cache in Windows and Android.

Any ETA on a fix?

If I want a crossfade, I will set a crossfade in the settings. Don't decide for me Spotify!

Lo-Fi beats - same problem

Loxer - Did you get your buddies to log in and vote for your answer as the solution?  Pretty pathetic.. 

This issue IS NOT resolved.

Same issue with the Lo-Fi beats playlist. The songs are not getting cross-faded. Happens on desktop and Android phone.

Same problem with "Brain food" playlist, it happens on Desktop and on Android version of the app. Should be deactivated, its really annoying.

Same problem. Let users decide to crossfade or not please.

This is not a bug, I spotted this also and after a google search I found this..

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Partners-Web-Player-etc/Auto-crossfading-in-playlists-how-to-...

In short the reply to another user was:

Thanks for getting in touch!

There is some playlists we have created and mixed together for you. These playlists are auto crossfading and you can't switch this off. You can however drag all songs into one of your own playlists and decide if you'd like to cross fade or not.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

Hi, thanks for your response. I think not one Spotify user wants to not be able to crossfade playlist. I can't imagine what was the logic there. Hope these guys disable (or at least allow users to disable) this feature soon. Very dumb.... (sight...)

Having the same issue. This is way too annoying. Help. PLEASE help.

i'm having the exact same problem with the same playlist, brain food.

Suggested posts