Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Resuming song after several days not possible

Resuming song after several days not possible

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

iPhone 6

Operating System

iOS 12.0 

My Question or Issue

Whenever I do not use the app for a few days, it forgets the song and playlist that was playing before. The player controls are simply not there any more.

That is extremely annoying, especially when I want to play music in the car – it would be completely impossible to navigate to that song/playlist again while driving, even if I could remember what song I was playing.

Is that a bug, or intentional?

7 Replies

Hey @fbitterlich, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Spotify has taken the decision to remove this feature as it had a very low engagement rate.

You can check more in this thread.

Hope it helps 🙂

Something weird is going on here. My question was not about "Touch Preview" (not sure what that is), but somehow the forum (or a moderator?) replaced the subject of my post with "Restore touch preview".

My question is about the player; when I pause the player in th emiddle of a song on a playlist, and come back a few hours later, I can press "Play" again and it continues where I stopped it. However, if I don't use the app for two days or so, there is no "Play" button any more, so I can't continue where I left off.

IMG_7444.jpg

Hey @fbitterlich,

That's ok 🙂

Could you attach a screenshot of how it does look after 2 days of not using Spotify?

Thanks!

Here you go... it's just the "Start" screen, without the player control.

IMG_7448.PNG

Hey @fbitterlich.

Thanks for getting back to us.

The information that you are looking for, is stored in the cache. It depends per device and how much resources it has available, how long this information stays available.

You can always open the Play History to see what you were listening to last. But don't do this while driving. Start your music before you take off, or find a safe spot where you can stop your car. More information about the Play History here.

Let us know if you have further questions. Happy listening 🙂

Well, that's disappointing. It amounts to "sorry, if you didn't remember to prepare for listening before you started driving, tough luck." It makes the app pretty much unusable for me while driving, and I listen to Spotify only while driving.

If that information is stored (only) in a volatile cache, then this is a bad application design. It's not like an iPhone with dozens of gigabytes of free space does not have the "resources" to store this. 

Hey @fbitterlich.

Thanks for your feedback. We understand your frustration.

Unfortunately this is normal behaviour. The best thing to do is make sure your Spotify is set up before you start driving.

Hope that helps!

Suggested posts