Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

SPOTIFY fix this PROBLEM!

SPOTIFY fix this PROBLEM!

This is my attempt to get through to Spotify about what I think is the #1 problem with it.  We all know it and dislike it.  Yes it is CACHE.  Cmon Spotify.  Do I really need to uninstall the app and reinstall it whenever I use up all my space?  What is so hard about 1) create playlist 2) sync playlist 3) it takes ups memory 4) uncheck/un-sync playlist and the memory is returned to device.   I have to re-sync my 500 song playlists and un-install/re-install Spotify app everytime I use up my measly 6 GB of space on my device?  Are you serious?  I am un-installing/re-installing the app,  re-syncing about twice a week as a result of this.  FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!!!!

12 Replies

Thanks for the feedback.

Thats pretty strange. 500 songs worth of cache shouldn't come close to filling up 6GB of space.  Nor should you need to reinstall twice a week as a result of newly downloaded playlists. It could use up a larger amount of space depending on the quality.

What quality are you syncing in?

Do you have any other programs or files which are using up the space? 

It is nice that someone form Spotify responds.  Please see Clear Cache Button Needed!! for details.  You misread. I said playlistS.  No, it is not one 500 song playlist.  It goes like this.  I have several playlist that I synch which all combined total the max amount of memory on my ipod.  That is fine.  I accept that I use up that much space.  What I DO NOT accept,  well,  I have to accept it because Spotify will not fix what seems like an easy problem that many people encounter, is the fact that once I max out my memory on my device I can not simply clear the cache or unclick a playlist I have synched and recover that memory onto my device so I can synch a different playlist.

Spotifys solution is to make me uninstall the app,  reinstall the app,  then synch the playlistS all over again.

Let me uncheck a playlist,  recover the memory that was taken up from the playlist and allocate that memory to a different playlist. What is so hard about this.

Rory please read the above mentioned forum topic if you are unaware of this really annoying problem Spotify has.

Nope. We hear you loud and clear and we've passed this along. I simply read your previous message a bit too quickly. 

Are there any previously existing ideas you'd like us to merge to? It seems to be this "clear cache button needed" thread could use to be changed into an Idea Exchange post. 

Thanks for the reply Rorey.  At least someone at Spotify replies to these posts.

The problem Rorey is the "clear cache button"  is not an idea.  It is well beyond an idea.  It has been WAY too long since this problem,  not idea,  was brought to light if you see the date of the original post.

The solution of uninstalling the app,  reinstalling the app,  re-synching songs is archaic for the year 2012.  Cmon.  your competitors have figured it out and other have pointed out that it is possible from a technological standpoint.  So why is Spotify dragging its knuckles on this?  Please let me know.

Rorey

The way this works in every other music and podcast app is as follow.

1. When you choose to offline sync a playlist/song it takes up the required storage space on your device.

2. Once you choose to uncheck the offline sync for the playlist/song, the space it had taken up on the device is freed up.

This way users can choose what's offline synced without having to worry about the space that no longer desired playlists/songs take up.

This is the most elegant solution as a "clear cache" feature would be confusing as it may clear all playlists/songs you had offline synced which is rarely what a user wants to do.

Just make it so that when a previously offline synced song/playlist is no longer marked as offline synced, the storage on the device gets freed up.

Both instacast and rdio work this way, as well as any other app that allows similar offline syncing.

Thanks! I would return as a paid customer if this was fixed.

Thank you. Somebody is answering here.

The general feeling is tha spotify is using too much space.

When?

- Cache. That should be adjustable.

- Offline list. When we say a list to *not* being available offline, the space does not appear to reduce.

- Bitrate/quality change. I changed it. Spotify asked if I wanted to resync. I said yes and it started to resync. But... it only increase space, as if it were not liberating space from old/not-to-be-used low-quality data.

In some cases it maybe you are liberating space, and there is a delay in iOS, but this is a sensible issue. Most people has iphones with 16gb.

What annoy people the most is when cache+whatever on spotify leave only like 200 mb.

The   "clear cache button needed" thread is probably the most comented here in "iOS".

When I try to download it it says Spotify installer has stopped working

Bump

Fix this it's a terrible issue

Cmon, give us a reply from the guys working on the actual programming and the app.

We know they have known about this for well over one, if it's not two or three years. So why the goddamn slowpoke?

fix this joke of an issue please

I am getting so sick of having t6o delete and reinstall spotify every time I start running out of space.  When you change a playlist from offline to online, the space shouldf be freed.  This is not a feature people are requesting to be added- this is a bug people are requesting to be fixed, to no avail.  You (Spotify ios developers) certainly know how do take up space when users change playlists to offline- you really can't figure out how to free the space when it's no longer offline?  Why don't you take this seroiusly as a real problem wiht the app? 

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

I logged out of Spotify to reset the app. Now when I log in on my iPhone it says "Login failed. You've already created an account with this email." I reset my password 4 times already. It's fustrating. It only lets me go on the internet not on any other device.
image.png

Suggested posts