Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Searching and trying to play a song in my playlists when connected to Amazon Echo Show 5

Solved!

Searching and trying to play a song in my playlists when connected to Amazon Echo Show 5

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

iPhone XS Max 

Operating System

iOS 14.2

My Question or Issue

After searching for a song in my playlists, when connected to my Amazon echo devices using the “Listening On” feature, if and when I try to select that song to play, nothing happens. This requires me to put it in queue and then press skip to next song in order to play the song I’d like to play right now. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Due to being busy I wasn't able to contact the support channels, however I am pleased to announce that I have since updated Spotify to version 8.6.10.575 and that issue no longer exists. Thanks again everyone for all your correspondence. 

View solution in original post

23 Replies

Hi there @Neville999

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community, and welcome 🙂

Would you mind letting us know if you notice anything new after a clean reinstall? This is often an overlooked step, but it can be helpful for clearing any damaged files that might be causing this issue. It will also get you the latest app version. 

If this doesn't do the trick, could you let us know if the same thing happens when you use a different connection?

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks for your prompt response as well as your greetings!

Having performed a clean reinstall, the issue still persisted when it came to streaming music off my Amazon Echo Devices via the internet (Cellular/WiFi). However, when it came to connecting and playing music via Bluetooth on the same devices, it worked just fine as such. Hope this info helps in narrowing it down. 😄

Hi again @Neville999

Thanks for getting back to us. 

In this case, we'd recommend making sure that your Echo device is running it's latest firmware version. 

You can also try reinstalling the Alexa app to see if it makes any difference.

Keep us posted!

NovyModerator

I haven’t really found a way to update it on the Echo devices as such. I’ve searched online too and the only things that ever do come up is signing into Spotify on the Amazon Alexa app and that’s about it. There isn’t an App Store or such. Any ideas as to how to update the firmware? 

Hi again @Neville999,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Alexa devices receive software updates automatically over WiFi. You can see the current software version of your Echo device on the Alexa app > Settings. You can also see the current software version that your Echo device should be running here.

Another thing you can try is:

1. Unlink your Spotify and Alexa accounts. Find how here.

2. Turn your Echo speaker off.

3. Restart your router by unplugging it from power for at least 15 seconds.

4. Log out from your Spotify account, restart your phone, and log back in.

5. Turn on your Echo speaker and link your accounts again.

Also, make sure you're running the latest version of the apps. You can check that in the App Store.

Let us know how it plays out.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Sincerest apologies for my delayed response. I have checked the software versions of both my Echo devices and they are up to date. However, the issue still persists. Kindly advise. 

Hey there @Neville999,

Thank you for your reply.

Can you confirm if you if you have set Spotify as the default in the Alexa app? If not, can you follow these steps:

1. In the Alexa app, tap the menu in the top-left.
  2. Tap Settings, then Music & Podcasts.
  3. Tap Choose default music services.
  4. Select Spotify and tap DONE.

If that doesn't do the trick, can you log in with another account - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persist?

It would also be great if you can let us know which version of the app you have?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Thanks for your quick response Jeremy. Spotify has always been my default music service on all my Echo Devices. Unfortunately I am studying abroad and am currently in Canada, and as a result I can't quite test that with other family members. In due time, I will try using a friend's Spotify account instead but it might not be soon due to current restrictions. Will notify when I do. 

My current Spotify version on my phone is: 8.6.2.1041 

Hope this helps. 

Hey again @Neville999,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you let us know if this occur on one specific device or multiple devices?

Also - can you create a free account and see if the issue persist?

Keep us posted 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator

This issue occurs on my Echo Show 5 and my Echo Flex as well. I created a free account and even on that account the issue still persists. 

Hey @Neville999

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Just to confirm, could you test this with a WiFi connection that's different from the one you're using? Do you notice anything new?

Let us know how it goes. 

NovyModerator

Just used a different WiFi connection instead of the default one, didn't change anything. 

Hi @Neville999

Thanks for the info. 

If possible, could you try connecting to the speakers using a different mobile device?

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator

I don't have another phone to try it with, however I did try it with Spotify on Windows (my computer) and the issue persists here too. 

Hi again @Neville999

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

Would you mind sending over a video where we can take a closer look at the issue?

You can attach it to your next response to us by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also send us a link to the video, but make sure to exclude any personal info from it. 

We'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

NovyModerator

I am giving this link below which should show the screen recording of the issue as such. 

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtMMjQZmhV8Xgc0ckTisoxi-Jm74Gg?e=f5ztVt

In the video the audio can't be heard because its a screen recording and the music is playing off my Echo Show 5. Furthermore when you see the filtered song within the playlist darken it means I'm clicking it. I first try to play Reminder by The Weeknd having searched it within my Liked Songs playlist whilst another song is playing, and that fails. So I put it on queue and then skip to the next song. The same procedure is then shown for Pressure by Martin Garrix. Let me know if you have any further queries. 

Thanks for your sincere dedication to this issue. 

Neville

Hey @Neville999,

Thank you for your reply and for the screen recording.

This is odd, indeed. Does this only happen with your own playlists or on albums as well?  Also, can you select and play a track directly from search?

As Alexa does have region restriction it might be the reason something odd is happening with the connection of the two accounts while being abroad. Are you planning on going back to the UK anytime soon?

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

Hello Jeremy,

It is specific to playlists only. Any playlists I have put into my library as such has this issue. Albums and picking a track directly from the search work just fine. 

And no, I don't think I'll be coming back within the near foreseeable future given that my degree is still ongoing. 

Hi there @Neville999,

Thanks for bearing with us.

Make sure that both your Alexa and Spotify accounts are registered in the same country, as this may cause trouble if they aren't.

Also, keep us in the loop on how it goes as soon as you can try using a different account.

We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

Suggested posts