Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Settings has disappeared

Settings has disappeared

• None of the below information is required. However, the more you provide the easier it will be for us to try and help.

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

iPhone 8 Plus

Operating System

iOS 10

My Question or Issue

The settings menu (cog) has vanished. I uninstalled and reinstalled which brought it back for a while (maybe a day) but now it has disappeared again.

15 Replies

Hey @BillyGoat, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Can you let me know what device you're using, as well as the software version? Also, attach a screenshot of what you're seeing so I can take a look.

Thanks!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I'm using an iPhone 8 Plus and operating system is iOS 13.7

Here's a screenshot.  As you can see, there is not settings cog.  My wife still has the cog on her iPhone 7 Plus.

Thanks.

Spotify.jpg

Hey @BillyGoat,

Thanks for the screenshot and information!

You mentioned that you were on iOS 13.7. Your iPhone could be updated to the latest version by going to Settings > General > Software Update to see if that makes a difference. 

Also, can you let me know what iOS version is installed on your wife's iPhone? And could you try another, more thorough clean reinstall of the app following these steps?

Let me know how this goes!

Billy-JSpotify Star

My wife is using the latest iOS. I have now installed the latest iOS and the gear came back for a while but now it’s gone. 

For a clean reinstall I need to click on the gear and clear the cache. How?  The gear isn’t present. 

I have exactly the same problem with iPhone XR and iOS 14 problem. So annoying. Just tried yet another fresh install. Cog came back. I setup everything as I like it again. I then quit the app, launched it again and cog missing again! 😡😡😡

It's really annoying, I agree.  Looks like I will have to leave Spotify and go back to... well... I don't know!  What happens when a company has a monopoly and are not serving their customers?  I also don't understand why this is only affecting you and me.

Hey @BillyGoat, and @Poggs38

I'm currently taking a look at this and will get back to you as soon as possible. 

Thanks for your patience in advance!

Billy-JSpotify Star

Ok, thank you. I managed to remove the cache via an option under ‘library’ and followed the procedure you recommended. 

So far the settings gear has remained in place for around 12 hours. I would like to see it remain for a few days before declaring this solved because it has disappeared before. 

In the meantime, thank you for your assistance. 

This only started after my 30 day free trial, which also coincided with IOS 14 update. Last time I reinstalled, I clicked the clear Cache button, closed and relaunched the app. The cog then disappeared again. It’s really frustrating, as you have to download all the music again, plus I can’t alter the EQ settings. 

Agreed.  I've lost count of how many times I have needed to download all my music again.  Terrible.  However, so far, following the clean reinstall, the cog has remained.  Fingers crossed.

I just did another fresh install. Cog came back. Logged out, then back in. Cog disappeared from Home Screen.
What I have just realised is that the settings (cog screen) are now accessed from my profile picture (top right hand corner)on my library screen. Hopefully, that is problem resolved. I obviously missed that change in app update.

Regards Dave

Hi Dave

I haven't attempted logging out yet, and do not want to after hearing that the cog vanished again!  I had the same thing - the profile picture led me to settings - but I am not sure everything was there.  Can you access the equaliser and everything else?

Cheers,

Stu.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here!   

It seems that for some users the Spotify app for the latest iOS update has changed the location of the settings-cog and it can now be accessed via taping on the profile picture. We’re always testing possible improvements and new features, so you might see something on the app your friend doesn’t, or get a brand-new feature for only a temporary period. Click here to learn more about Spotify tests.

If the setting menu is also not to be found there, then we recommend performing a clean reinstall, so that all corrupted app files get removed, if there are any. Just start off from step number 2.

Hope you find this useful. Let us know how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

We've just had this happen (settings cog vanish) on my wife's Android phone (ver8.7.48.1062), and the 'work-around' described gets us to the settings....  On my own phone (same app version) the settings cog is still visible - presume it's a screen resolution thing that is 'culling' the buttons?

This is a terrible design - hiding something so critical is just rude! Please either restore it or provide an option to force it back for those of us who need it. (I use it constantly to configure EQ settings depending on what I'm using to listen.)

"We’re always testing possible improvements and new features, so you might see something on the app your friend doesn’t, or get a brand-new feature for only a temporary period. " I didn't sign up for any sort of Beta or preview program - not interested in being anyone's guinea pig. Please provide a way to OPT-OUT of all such changes. Including new "features" I'm not interested in. I'm perfectly happy with it AS-IS and don't need or want it to change - that's NEVER a good thing. 

Suggested posts