Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sound Distorted

Sound Distorted

Hey everyone.

I'm having an issue where music is distorted in Spotify. It seems like it's being boosted somehow. Whatever the case, it is independent of which headphones I use and it is unique to Spotify. I'm about ready to try reinstalling but I don't want to lose my offline stuff if I can help it.

I'm on an iPhone 6, iOS 8.0.2, and Spotify for iOS v1.8.0.2444.

EDIT:

Some impromptu testing revealed that messing with the EQ causes things to change in subtle ways. Even if it's off. I will try reinstalling it.

EDIT:

Well, I wasn't able to reproduce the problem today, but I did find out that the new bluetooth headphones I was using have a bass boost setting which, lo and behold, fixed the distortion once turned off. I did experience some distortion in another pair of headphones at one point a few days ago, but I suspect this was more a fluke than anything.

2 Replies

I'm new using this service but I found it a bit distorted, it seem Spotify sound engineers have taken the gain level too much high maybe to sound louder than everything but louder is not allways better.

As an amateur in sound I can say that is distorting because it sounds too high making cliping levels.

Turn down 2 decibels to fix this.

Thanks

For some songs there is noticiable clipping happening. I'm using a Sont PHA-1A DAC. There is no way to adjust the volume except on the DAC and even on low levels some songs seem to clip when there is a lot of bass. I've tried both streaming and downloading and on maximum quality. When I connect my DAC to my Windows 7 laptop the problem is not there if I turn down the PC volume (it lets me on PC)

There should be some sort of gain control on the iphone software. Can it be sorted out please?

Suggested posts