Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify 1.7.0 crashing on sync

Solved!

Spotify 1.7.0 crashing on sync

Just added some new local files to my starred playlist yesterday, and app was crashing when I tried to sync (about 12 songs?)

Then today the same was happening, reinstalled the app, synced all the spotify tracks fine, then tried to sync the local files (approx 150), it made it until the last 60 before crashing. Since then it syncs a couple at a time, before crashing up until the last ~45, and now it crashes immediately upon opening the app. 

Any ideas/help would be appreciated!

280 Replies

I've already reinstalled the app thrice in 2 days 😞 so annoying to sync offline songs each time

My details:

IPHONE MODEL: 5

IOS7.1.2

SPOTIFY VERSION: 1.7.0

APPROX CRASH FREQUENCY: seconds after launching

JAILBROKEN: No

I have cancelled my subscription to Spotify Premium due to the problems with the iOS mobile app following the update of 9/10/2014, ver. 1.7.0.2390. The app repeatedly crashes within a few seconds of startup. I consulted the forum community and apparently there are numerous customers with the same issue. I tried deleting then reinstalling the app several times, only to have the same result during re-sync, crashes each time. Why has Spotify not officially addressed this situation? How about an acknowledgment and a time frame for a solution? It is a shame, because before this situation, I really enjoyed the Premium service. However, Spotify's lack of support/service demonstrates to me that Spotify does not care about their customers. Spotify's "help" section just leaves it to the users to solve their own problems. There is no contact info, online support or even a phone number, only an email address when you cancel your subscription. Even if Spotify manages to fix the app, I will not return because your miserable customer service borders on arrogance, taking your customers for granted and assuming they will continue to pay for a service that doesn't work. I will give my $9.99 to one of your competitors and see if they can do better.

Description
The Spotify app crashes within 5 seconds of launching. It was working fine (even after updating) . Dont really know where it went wrong. Was using Spotify on my PC last night and no problems, and its still running fine on my PC. My App is just crashing!!

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. First I did this

I first closed and then reopened the app

2. Then I did that

Then when that didn't work I turned my phone off and then back on

3. I also did this

When that didn't work I did a soft reset

4. then this

When that didn't work, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app

5. then this

After reinstalling the app, it worked normally for a little while. There were no crashes and I was able to sync around 200 tracks (I had 500 more to go though). But then I changed the settings to my normal preferences: Crossfade at 10.5 seconds, entered my Last.fm details, and changed the music quality to Extreme for both streaming and syncing, and that's when the crashes started again.

6. and finally, this

I again uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Immediately it began crashing at launch every time I tried to use it.

What I expected to happen

I expected the app to work as normal, without crashing

What actually happened

The crashes didn't stop

My iPad/iPhone model

iPhone 5s

Device’s Operating System

Is your device jailbroken?

Nope

Approximately how many playlists do you have?

About 15

My mobile Spotify version

My provider
Telia

//Jesper

so after uninstalling and reinstalling I was able to load my lists of songs from the spotify library. However, when I started loading my big list of local file songs, it began to crash about 1/3 of the way through. I would keep re-starting, it would load 20-50 tracks and then die. Then when I would re-start again it would re-load a bunch of songs that it alread loaded before plus a few new ones, then die. I identified about 20 tracks that it kept trying to re-load over and over and removed them from my playlist. Then it just got completely stuck trying to load the same 10 new tracks over and over. With the iOS app open, I unselected the playlist in the desktop app and then re-selected it. Since then, it has been loading tracks steadily without crashing.

Contacted spotify told them the problem, told them I reinstalled it, there reply included delete the app install again. Then clear the spotify cache. My reply was there is no cache stop speaking rubbish. We have been waiting 2 yrs for a cache button, check the forums that have this problem reported yrs ago.
Speak to your devolpers and get it sorted.
Useless..

after loading about 150 tracks, it started to get stuck and crash again. Once again unchecked and re-checked the playlist in the desktop app and that got it unstuck again.

it's not pretty, but seems to work for me for now

I finally got all my local files loaded back up and now it is back to crashing immediately when I try to bring up the playlist I want to play. It seems like it just has a real hard time with local files, don't know why, wasn't an issue before this update. It was about a 2 day process to re-install and get all my files back and I find myself in the exact same situation as when I started. 

I'm having the exact same issue.  I keep having to reopen the app and sync like 5 files at a time before each crash.

The issue was fixed after I reinstalled the app.

Also having this problem on my iphone 5. I was on firmware 7.1 and I updated to 7.1.2 to see if it'd make a difference, but nothing changed. I would really appreciate some help with this issue. I have a feeling it's due to the new update, and if so they need to release a fix soon.

Hello everyone. Staff here. 

We've merged a couple of threads together to provide better updates on this issue. We're obviously having some issues with the 1.7.0. update. We're looking into this as we speak.

In the meantime, we know that a simple reinstall fixes the issue for some folks. If you haven't already tried Meredith's suggestions earlier in this thread, please try our reinstallation instructions for iOS. If a reinstall doesn't work, hang in there and we'll be back with an update shortly.

Good, because if u are on the other side of the world on vacation, reinstalling the app ain't a option.

Description:
Spotify app keeps crashing 2 seconds after opening it.

1. First I did this:
I reinstalled the app. This helped but after closing spotify in multitasking, problem started again.

2. Then I did that:
I rebooted my phone several times. Same problem like 1.

What I expected to happen:
After reinstallation and rebooting, I expected the crashing to stop.

What actually happened:
At first it works, but after closing Spotify in multitasking, the problem starts again.

My iPad/iPhone model:
iPhone 5

Device’s Operating System:
iOS 7.1.1

No

Approximately how many playlists do you have?
About 20. Only about 7 synced offline.

My mobile Spotify version:

My provider and country:
Swisscom, Switzerland

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for posting your details here and helping us in this investigation. 

The team is busy at work and hopefully we'll have news of a fix for you soon. Thanks again guys!

Could you please provide an ETA to your premium subscribers? The fact that I am paying for a broken app needs to be addressed by customer service. Will Spotify offer a refund for the application's down time? 

Same problem as reported by others on iPhone 5s. Updated app crashes on both iPhone and iPad.

I've re-installed (yes, painful) and still not working. Please advise on solution.

Description

App crashes within a few seconds of launching. Sometimes I can play a song for a moment, sometimes I can start a search, always crashes quickly. Both my iPhone and iPad are affected.

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. First I open the app

2. Then it crashes

3. I restarted the phone, same result

4. I did a clean reinstallation, same result

What I expected to happen

The app to play music, not crash

What actually happened

The app crashes

My iPad/iPhone model

iPhone 5s, version 7.1.2

iPad 2, iOS 7.1.2

No

Approximately how many playlists do you have? over 100

Please also include how many, more or less, of those playlists are synced for offline use: 15-20

My mobile Spotify version

My provider and country

AT&T USA

This has also been effecting me since upgrading last week! I removed the app losing all my sync data to try and fix and now am having to go through the painful process of resyncing my songs which is taking forever cause the app keeps crashing.

This really is an awful issue to release into a production enviroment with paying customers and as it seems to be across the entire user base for this device I expect a full refund for this months service if its not fixed by the end of the week!

How do customers get a refund for the amount of time the service/subscription was not working?

Netflix automatically credits your account when they have a technical issue.

I suspect Spotifys policy is to remain silent until the problem is fixed then they assume consumers will forget that their service didnt work for a week.

Screen Shot.jpg

I'm not sure as the service has always worked well for me since I signed for the £9,99 plan however I will be emailing somone from customer service or finding a phone number that works so I can talk to someone if they don't fix the issue soon!

Last resort will be to cancel my sub and go use another service. 😞

Suggested posts