Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Ads

Spotify Ads

I am using the free version of Spotify, on my iPhone, and I hear more ads for Spotify than I do for other companies. How are artists going to get paid ad revenue when most of the commercials are from spotify itself and i've read many artists complain that spotify doesn't pay enough in royalties

6 Replies

Hello!

Artists don't get paid by the number of ads played.

They get paid  by the amount of their songs played.

When a user plays a minimum of 30 seconds a song from an artist, they get payed 1 royalty.

It is totally up to the artist to stream their music on Spotify.

Hope this clears out some questions & helps! ♫

This was a post by DasPeter
If my post helped you to fix your problem  -  Accept as Solution
If you liked my post - Give it a Like

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
PM me here

But isn't Spotify, in part, using ad revenue to pay the artists? I would think the more ad revenue that Spotify generates, the more the artists will end up getting paid

where do you think the money comes from to pay them, based on the number of plays, genius?

Yes, artists get paid by the amount of songs being played on Spotify.

The money they get payed with comes mostly from the income of the Premium subscriptions.

Keep in mind that people not get Premium just to get rid of ads, they get more features with that subscription, like offline listening, better audio quality, Connect and many more.

Spotify has a system in which the Premium depends on the ads of the Free subscription.

When people don't want ads and want to use the other feautures, they start paying for Premium monthly and artists get payed, as I said before, by the amount of their music being played.

Hope this clears out some questions. ♫

PM me here

it sounds like Spotify gave you a free subscription in exchange for working for them

I'm part of the Rock Star Program.

You can read about it here.

PM me here

Suggested posts