Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify App says I'm listening on one speaker when I'm already listening to a group

Spotify App says I'm listening on one speaker when I'm already listening to a group

Plan

Premium (though same issue exists with free plan)

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 8, Google Home Mini, Built-in Chromecast, and Chromecast Audios

Operating System

iOS 13.3.1

My Question or Issue

For years I have had my Google Home account linked to various free/premium Spotify accounts. I also have multiple "speaker groups" set up through Google Home. Whenever I would cast to such a group, there would be no problem, but a weird quirk: If I opened the Spotify app on my iPhone, it would say that I was listening on just one of the speakers, when it was clear I was correctly listening to multiple speakers in a group. For example, the app would say I was listening on "Dining Room" and not the "Main Speakers" group that "Dining Room" was just part of. (Side note: using the "Media" menu in Google Home would show that I was listening to the group, not just one speaker.) However, if I tried changing songs or volume through the app, it would correctly make those changes to the entire group, even if it appeared it was being done on just the one speaker.

I never found a solution to the above, but considered it mostly a non-issue. However, for the past week or so, I have noticed that if tell a Google Home device to play music to a speaker group, the GH will announce that it's starting a cast to the group (as it should), and if I open the Spotify app afterward to change the group's volume or change the song, it will again say that I'm listening on just one speaker, but it now will pause the playback almost immediately after opening. I can manually restart the cast to the group, but this is an annoying step I've never had to do before.

I should point out that this latest issue seems to be happening only when I am casting to a group that has a mix of Google Home devices and Chromecast Audio devices. (I haven't spent time confirming this, though.) And, again, this is a new phenomenon. Casting never used to stop upon opening the Spotify app like it is now.

3 Replies

I have this exact issue, I can say that the computer app understands it is playing on the group, but not sure how to fix it within the app

Me too! But judging from the low number of complaints, it seems they're in no hurry to fix this.

Hey folks,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here.

We recommend that you first remove all speakers and groups from the Google Home app and afterwards unlink your Spotify account. Proceed with clean reinstall of both the GH and Spotify apps. 

This should reset the connection between the apps and speakers and remove any malfunctioning files from previous installations. In most cases this resolves issues like the ones you're experiencing.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.  

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts