Premium

Country

UK

Device

Iphone 12 Pro

Operating System

iOS 16

My Question or Issue

Since updating to iOS 16 a few days ago I have had problems with the Spotify app taking over and not allowing separate volume control of my AV receiver / speakers.

The AV receiver is a Pioneer VSX-934 though I don't think this is important as this didn't happen previous to the iOS 16 release / Spotify update.

When you connect to the AV receiver through the Spotify app to play music, you can control the volume of the AV receiver on the phone which is fine although the increments of volume isn't ideal. Trouble is if you try adjusting the volume of the AV receiver using it's own remote or volume nob, Spotify resets it back to what it had in the app and the volume ends up jumping around all over the place.

This didn't happen previous to iOS 16 / Spotify update a few days ago so something has changed there. Remote control volume and the Spotify app were playing nicely together before this and allowed each other to control the volume as and when, neither overriding one or another.

Any suggestions or anyone else get this? Presume the app is needing an update to fix this.

51 Replies

Same problem with a Samsung Q950A Soundbar and iPhone with iOS 16

Also tried this with a friends Sonos One and it does the same thing, very annoying. Does anyone from Spotify actually take any notice of these posts though?!

Hey there,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

We can relay your experiences to the tech team. For that to happen we need the brand/model and operating system versions of the devices included in the issue together with the version of the Spotify app you're using. A video recording of the experience would be very helpful as well.

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Same thing happens to me, first thing I noticed after upgrading to iOS 16.

iPhone 14 mini on iOS version 16.0
Spotify version 8.7.66.438
Device is Lyngdorf TDAI-1120, SW version 2.0.0

Hello, myself and my wife (both ip12 users) are having exactly the same issue. After updating to ios16 we cannot change the volume using receiver controls, only by iPhone buttons. Yamaha receiver. Only occurs while using Spotify connect

So many volume related issues with new IOS. When is Spotify picking it up? I’m canceling my subscription.

Hey folks, 

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

@vlad3r, thanks for all the info you've sent so far. 

@corran11, @RB2424, we'd like to investigate this further. To do so, would you mind sending us the info @Dian asked for previously?

We'll be waiting for your replies. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Sure, I attached a video. The device on the left is the iPhone 14 with Spotify running.

You can see me changing the volume of the amp on the software remote app (on the iPad on the right), and also with the physical button. Every time the Spotify app resets the volume to -30 (or in general, to a multiple of 5).

This only happens as long as Spotify is running, if I close the app I can freely change the volume again.

My problem is exactly as demonstrated by Vlad so not much point me adding a video to show the same thing. 
iPhone is 12 pro, iOS 16.0.2 and latest version of Spotify. 

exaclty the same here, iphone 13 pro (16.0.2) with android tv cast. If needed i can post exact build numbers, however this seems to be related to ios updated version more than build of AVR or tv. Please fix this asap it is really annoying.

Happy to share any more needed info

same here with android tv and ios 16.0.2 if needed i can post exact versions

As per video of vlad3r, looks exactly the same in my case

Hey folks,

Thanks for your replies and for the info shared.

We've gone ahead and passed the info on to our tech folks. We really appreciate the time you took to report to us on this. Rest assured this is being investigated. We recommend subscribing to this thread, so you can be up to date on relevant news about this; we'll be posting them here.

If anything else comes up, the Community will always be here for you.

Take care!

AlejaRModerator

Also the exact same problem!

Spotify connect forces audio volume increments in 5 steps!

Iphone 14 Pro

IOS 16.0.2

Spotify 8.7.68.568

Samsung Soundbar Q80R

@D_N_L , thanks for the info and your report.

We've passed this on to the team investigating the issue. 

Cheers 🙂

AlexModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Also happening to me. It’s infuriating. iOS 16 iPhone 12 mini onkyo tx-8150

Hi, after looking at a few similar posts, I toggled Devices Lock Screen off (in the app: Settings - Devices - Devices Lock Screen OFF) then a while and a bit of use later, toggled Show Local Devices Only off (in the app: Settings - Devices - Show Local Devices Only OFF). Then a short while and a bit of use later, toggled Devices Lock Screen back on again. This completely fixed it though I can’t really explain which step did it. It wasn’t the first step alone as posted elsewhere as when in the app it was still messing about with the volume on its own. Good luck!

Premium - iPhone 12 Mini - iOS 16.0.2 - Onkyo TX8150

Exact same here iphone 12 mini, ios 16.02, spotify app 8.7.68.568 and Samsung Soundbar Q800A. Spotify app takes over volume level and iterates only in steps of 5 points, which is way to rough. Closing the Spotify app allows for fine grained volume levels setting through SmartThings app

Yes, you definitely got something here adrianpmurphy! I just toggled “Show only local devices” to “On” and then it was fixed with Spotify app still in background. Before this, the spotify app had to be closed to gain control on volume settings. On re-opening, the spotify app unfortunately directly switched to the nearest volume level in the range of 5-10-15… but hey, the setting indeed impacts the apps behavior on volume levels…

Suggested posts