Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Crashing on iPhone 4S after start

Solved!

Spotify Crashing on iPhone 4S after start

Hello,

I am using spotify with Premium Account for a few months with different devices. Ipad 4 (iOS 7.03) and Windows PC do well. When trying to use it with my iPhone 4S this weekend (iOS 6) it recently crashed when syncing the Single playlist. Thinking about iOS Version conflicts i did the iOS 7.03 update and reinstalled spotify completely (including the Installation of spotify 0.9.08).

Problem still exists, no chance to start the app. It crashes down immediately After the start. When going to flight mode, i am able to start the app and go through the menu. When going online (no matter if a playlist should be synced or not), the app crashes again. Tried reinstall, hard reset of iPhone, sign off/on, sync with PC....Nothing helps.

As i have mentioned, spotify works well on ipad and Windows PC.

Need help, thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey guys!

Problem solved: I received a testaccount from the spotify support. After logging in with this testaccount, it was clear that the described happenings have nothing to do with my iPhone/Windows PC. Everything worked will with the test account - syncing, deleteing, offline/online mode, playlists etc. 

Therefore I decided to delete all playlists on my personal account. After deleting all, I was able to log in with my own account without any problems. I created the playlist, which was synced offline with the iPhone client, completely new, added all songs once again in 10-song packages, synced the packages - and it worked well. After syncing 14 10-song packages whily switching from offline to online mode, the complete playlist was "restored". 

Now, everything works well. I can add, delete, sync and play like I did before! It was hard to rebuild the playlist, but now I'm happy 🙂

View solution in original post

26 Replies

Strange, do you have a large number of playlists or anything? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

HI Peter,

about 10 playlists. The biggest playlist contains 140 titles....I guess that should be no problem. As I have mentioned, everything works well with Windows PC (installed client) and Ipad 4 (iOS 7.0.3). 

Trying out differrent things yesterday on the iPhone I got the impression that it has something to do with the offline mode. After reinstalling the app, spotify starts without any problems. Even logging in is no problem. Yes, actually I can hear my music being in online-mode (with wireless LAN connection) But when I go to "settings" and want to switch to"offline mode" (--> even when no playlist is marked to be offline available), the app crashes down right when touching the offline-mode button. After one first crash, I can no more start and use spotify, it crashes in about 5 seconds when trying to restart the app. 

Can anybody help? Slowley but surely I am getting fed up of this - iPhone is my primary device to use spotify and its premium account services. 

Regards
Sebastian

I have the exact same issue. It's unbelievable for me that there's a bug like this. I have an iPhone 5S with iOS 7.0.3 and the newest Spotify Version. Thinking about going back to Rdio because I listen to music on my mobile device all the time, why should I pay for an option, if I can't use it? A company that big like Spotify shouldn't have problems like this.

@Seb139 If you haven't done so already, could you get in touch with support using the online contact form and someone at Spotify will help get this sorted. If you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, make sure to reply to it directly (even though it is from a no-reply address) to speed things along.

HI jwylot,

tanks for your response. I have mentioned the problem via the contact form as well - waiting for response so far. I will come up over here and post the support's message.

@user-removed You're on the beta programme I believe? Have you tried reinstalling spotify to see if that improves things on your 5S? There have been reports of some issues with spotify on the 5S and I'm sure the spotify guys are working on it.

Great 🙂

@Seb139 wrote:

HI jwylot,

tanks for your response. I have mentioned the problem via the contact form as well - waiting for response so far. I will come up over here and post the support's message.

Yes I've reinstalled it, it helped for a few hours but now I have the same problem as before.

No response from the support team so far. Besides the technical issues, they seem to keep the promise of anwering in 24hours...not! 😞

@Seb139 They should get back to you today. If you haven't hear anything by this evening. please post the case number and I'll try to chase it up.

Ok, but meanwhile I can share the casenumber 😉 

Its: # 01026312

I send them a tweet and they answered. They seem to don't have any plan why we have this problem. At this moment, it works on my iPhone again. Will report if the bug happens again or if it works now.

As much as it sucks to do so a restore of your iPhone might solve the problem.

same is happening to me now all of a sudden. ive never deal with a company that just does not care in the slightest for its product. ive been with Spotify for a year and its been a disaster.

Haven't heard anything thus far from the support. But yesterday I was able to synchronize the one and only playlist, I want to hear offline with my iPhone in three steps. After synchronizing about 90 songs in the first try, it crashed down. Going to flight modus, re-opening the app and restart the synchronization, it went to synchronize another 40 more songs of the playlist. Giving it a third try, the complete playlist of 136 songs got synchronized. (YEHA)!

Anyhow, now I am able to hear the synchronized music in offline mode, but the app is very labile and could crash every minute again...

I don't want to vent one's spleen here, but I am paying 10 EUR a month for this service. This is a legal and paid service, this is business. And we are in 2013, this kind of technology is no innovation of the last 6 months. There is a defined market for legal music streaming today. And Spotify advertises itself as market leader. Are you kidding me? This is not how to deal with early adopters...(are we still?)

I would accept such challenges when talking about beta versions and lead user prototyps. But this is the consumers market.

Come on, Mr. Ek! I praised your idea and your business last week during an e-business lecture at university. What should I tell the students next week?

@Seb139 Sorry my friend, I totally forgot about you 😞 I've escalated this to staff now.

Hi all,

just for informing you: I am in contact with the spotify support, but conversation is in German and not that helpful to fix the problem thus far. We were just talking about the free space and WIFI/3G mode.

As I told you, a few days ago I was able to synchronize the whole playlist and play it in offline mode. On Sunday, I wanted to synchronize another single song within my playlist - and everything crashed again. I am not able to open the app and play any song again...

I am really fed up for the moment. I will let you know when there is any helpful comment from the support team.

Regards

Just for your interest:

The problem is getting worse instead of getting solved. Today I wanted to start my Windows-client and it crashed after getting started, too. I've no chance to do anything, the client closes immediately after getting logged in. Reveiving a test-account from the support, I was able to test on my iPhone and the windows-client if the whole problem is account-based - and it is, obivously. 

When logging in with the testaccount, I can hear the listed music, synchronize to offline mode and all other service. Logging in with my account, windows-client crashes immediately and iPhone 4S app as well. Spotify Web Player works without any problems, Windows-client on my other dekstop PC worked well too, yesterday in the evening. iPhone 4 and iPad 4 do well, too.

Fed up...and still waiting for any help from you and the official support.

Regards

Marked as solution

Hey guys!

Problem solved: I received a testaccount from the spotify support. After logging in with this testaccount, it was clear that the described happenings have nothing to do with my iPhone/Windows PC. Everything worked will with the test account - syncing, deleteing, offline/online mode, playlists etc. 

Therefore I decided to delete all playlists on my personal account. After deleting all, I was able to log in with my own account without any problems. I created the playlist, which was synced offline with the iPhone client, completely new, added all songs once again in 10-song packages, synced the packages - and it worked well. After syncing 14 10-song packages whily switching from offline to online mode, the complete playlist was "restored". 

Now, everything works well. I can add, delete, sync and play like I did before! It was hard to rebuild the playlist, but now I'm happy 🙂

Suggested posts