Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Running in Background When Not Playing Music

Solved!

Spotify Running in Background When Not Playing Music

I've had an issue with the Spotify app on my iPad for a while now where if I pause a track, Spotify will continue to keep my iPad awake indefinitely. I can verify this by looking at the usage time in the battery usage menu, and then seeing Spotify with background activity listed underneath it as the #1 power user.

This issue has gotten worse with the latest updates. I'm thinking it was probably made worse with the 2.5.0 or 2.6.0 update. It used to be it would only have the battery drain issue if I paused the music, but it would be okay if Spotify was allowed to finish the playlist it was on. Now it seems to stay running in the background 100% of the time after music stops playing. When I press the home button on my iPad and see some album artwork for some music I was listening to the previous day, I know that the battery is going to be heavily drained. The only way to prevent the battery drain is to manually close the app through the recent apps menu.

iPad Air 2 running iOS 8.2. Spotify 2.7.0.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there and welcome to the community,

Could you try doing a full reinstallation of the app, including removing your local cache/data files.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi there and welcome to the community,

Could you try doing a full reinstallation of the app, including removing your local cache/data files.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

I just reinstalled the app. I played the last song on a playlist and before it ended I put my iPad on the home screen and then locked it. Now that it's finished, on the lock screen, I can see the Spotify controls and the album art for the first song on that playlist. This is what usually happens when it keeps the iPad awake. Of course maybe there's a time out that will happen so I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

UPDATE: Thanks! It seems to have worked. The Spotify widget on the lock screen times out properly now. It's a bit strange, because I've already reinstalled the Spotify app 3 or 4 times in the last 5 months for other issues.

Suggested posts