Germany

Device

iPhone 6s

Operating System

iOs 13.2.3 

Output Device

Kenwood KTM BT204 (Car Radio)

My Question or Issue

So my Spotify app keeps shutting itself off when i am listening to music in my car. I enter my car, start the motor, the radio connects to my phone, spotify starts and music is playing.

After 10-60 seconds, the connection failes because the spotify app is shut down/put in standby mode. I have to get my phone out (illegal in Germany and a risk during high traffic), unlock it, open the app, push play, then it works fine until I shut down the motor/cut the connection to my phone.

Funnily, this error does not occur all the time, it happens on 8 out of 10 times. Sometimes it works fine, most of the times it does not.

It has to be an issue of Spotify, as Apple Music does work all the time and without ANY problems.

Here´s what I did:
-Delete and renew the connection between the car radio and my iPhone

-Clean reinstall of Spotify on my phone

-Setting soundquality from Automatic to High

-Deleted connected devices (there was my old Android phone listed)

-Updated the firmware of my car radio

Fun fact: When i use an USB cable, it works fine too, but it ruins my phone battery when being plugged in only for a few minutes. I intentionally bought a car radio that is able to handle Spotify, so that I don´t have to use a cable.
I can use a headphone cable, but the sound quality is really *insertcurseword*.

I wonder if there is any way to stop apps on iOs from being set into StandBy mode, by now I couldn´t find a way to solve this.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Bakery, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Could you try using Sign Out Everywhere and Remove Offline devices from your Spotify account page to see if that helps?

Thanks 🙂

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @Bakery, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Could you try using Sign Out Everywhere and Remove Offline devices from your Spotify account page to see if that helps?

Thanks 🙂

I in fact did remove all the unused offline devices (there was my old Android phone still listed), but I just logged off everywhere. Haven´t seen this possibility before.
I will watch the issue for a few days and will come back to post an answer.

Funny thing is, that meanwhile the error doesn´t happen all the time any more. In the settings of iOs, I activated "Allow Background Data" for Spotify, and this seemed to help, at least a bit. The error still happens from time to time.
I´ll reply here in a few days when I can be certain if logging off everywhere helped or not.
Thanks! 🙂

Take your time!

I'll be right here 🙂

Great success! No disconnections any more, it all works fine as it´s supposed to do.

But I´m interested in WHY "logging off from all devices" solved the problem. I can´t figure out the connection between being logged in on all devices and the Bluetoothconnection to my car radio.... If you would explain to me, I would be rally grateful.
Anyway, thanks for the help 🙂

I am having something close to the same issues. My phone will shut the app down and then restart the song multiple times before I just have to skip it to get it to move on to the next song (using up my skips). I thought it was just my phone but my computer has started to randomly pause my music as well. I have all apple products so maybe the glitch is in there. I love spotify but I wont deal with this if it continues.

Well, I don´t think that this is closely related to the problem I had, but you might want to try this. The solution mentioned above helped just temporarily, but here´s what finally solved the issue for me.
First, you scroll down to "Sign Off Everywhere".
Then check the tab "Apps" and delete all connected apps that you do not use. In my case, I deleted everything except the PS4 app.
After that, you will have to log in on all your devices.
I can not guarantee that this will help in your case, but maybe it´s worth the try.
Good luck, let me know if it helped.

Suggested posts