Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify app starts automatically on Apple Watch

Solved!

Spotify app starts automatically on Apple Watch

Hello,

I use Spotify app on my Apple Watch and every time I start listening to music on Spotify on my iPhone, the Spotify app on my Apple watch starts automatically and appears on the main screen.

Is there an option to disable this functionality?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @MorKanner 

On your iPhone or watch go to Watch Settings ---> General ---> Wake Screen ---> and turn off the "Auto-launch Audio Apps" toggle.  This will make it so Spotify and other audio apps won't open up just because you are using them on your iPhone.

Then scroll all the way to the bottom of the "Wake Screen" settings and under "Apps" go to "Spotify". Make sure the "Return to App" toggle is turned off. When this is on, if you open Spotify on your watch, it will keep opening again after you close it out next time your watch display wakes up. Turning this off solves that.

After you do that, the built in Now Playing screen will still want to show up so go back to the list of apps and go to "Now Playing" and make sure the "Return to App" toggle is also turned off there.

I have done this in my settings and Spotify or the built in Now Playing screen won't show up on my watch when listening to music on my iPhone. To get to the Now Playing screen on the watch you just tap the now playing icon at the top and you can go to the now playing screen. There should be an option to jump to the Spotify app from there. You can also open the Spotify app from your watch's app screen.

I hope this information helps!

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

Hey @MorKanner 

On your iPhone or watch go to Watch Settings ---> General ---> Wake Screen ---> and turn off the "Auto-launch Audio Apps" toggle.  This will make it so Spotify and other audio apps won't open up just because you are using them on your iPhone.

Then scroll all the way to the bottom of the "Wake Screen" settings and under "Apps" go to "Spotify". Make sure the "Return to App" toggle is turned off. When this is on, if you open Spotify on your watch, it will keep opening again after you close it out next time your watch display wakes up. Turning this off solves that.

After you do that, the built in Now Playing screen will still want to show up so go back to the list of apps and go to "Now Playing" and make sure the "Return to App" toggle is also turned off there.

I have done this in my settings and Spotify or the built in Now Playing screen won't show up on my watch when listening to music on my iPhone. To get to the Now Playing screen on the watch you just tap the now playing icon at the top and you can go to the now playing screen. There should be an option to jump to the Spotify app from there. You can also open the Spotify app from your watch's app screen.

I hope this information helps!

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts