Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify causing severe battery drain on iPhone 6S running iOS 10

Solved!

Spotify causing severe battery drain on iPhone 6S running iOS 10

This was an issue on iOS 9 and still seems to be happening on iOS 10. Spotify is using 3x more battery than any other app and accounts for about 50% of all battery usage. This never used to be an issue, and I don't understand what it could possibly be doing that is so resource-hungry. Most of my listening is via saved songs on my offline playlist, so it isn't a mobile data issue.

Anyone know how to resolve this? A music player should not be impacting device battery life like this.

Edit Oct 11 2016: Adding a screenshot since this doesn't seem to be getting any traction with Spotify. I unplugged 4 hours ago and my battery is at 13%. And 46% of my battery has been used by Spotify over the last 24 hours.

unnamed.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I'm the original poster, and no longer have any battery drain issues with Spotify on iOS (iOS 11/iPhone X). Marking this one as solved. I think a new thread should be created if others are experiencing new/different battery drain issues.

View solution in original post

191 Replies

Maybe you're just using the app a lot. Or it's downloading new songs for offline use.

this actually depends on if you use your celluar network to listen to music if you do that then it's almost totally normal it for drain that much battery because then you are streaming music not just a music player! A helpful tip for you if you don't wanna have this problem is to download the playlist to your phone and listen in offline mode instead!

Hope this helped you!
Please click on the solved button if it did and leave a like!
Best Regards Riddekah!

I specifically said in my original post that I am not using mobile data.

I also experience an excessive battery drain since updating to IOS 10 and to the latest version of Spotify. Before this was definetely not like this.
This is also the case if I just listen to offline music!

Me as well.

I'm using spotify for saved playlists and the battery drain is ridiculous. 

Same here. Nothing seems to help.

I am also getting severe battery drain since upgrading to iOS 10. I listen to offline playlists but by midday my battery has gone down to 20%! Definitely didn't used to do this...

It started to drain my battery since the iOS10 upgrade that came with Spotify UI change.
iPhone 5S

IMG_0584.PNG

I agree, something needs to be done about this. I only listen to music offline that's downloaded to my iPhone 5s, turn offline mode on, have lower power mode on, and still my battery gets completely drained after 2-3 hours of listening to music through out the day. I don't even use my phone that much except for Spotify. Ever since I updated to iOS 10, my battery drains faster than iOS 9. There needs to be a way to reduce power consumption. This is ridiculous!

This is happening for me as well. I just woke up this morning and checked the battery status for the past. Spotify is running in the background like crazy. I have saved playlist as well.

On iOS 10 and have Spotify 6.5.0
IMG_6635.PNG
IMG_6634.PNG

Now up to 62% battery usage over the past 24 hours. Beyond ridiculous.

unnamed.jpg

Same situation here.
After the IOS 10 upgrade on my iPhone 6, I have doubled, at least, the battery usage.
Only using offline playlists in the background.

Same here. 5S though

Same for me as well (iOS10, 6s, all updates, no mobile sync, nothing to sync left)

On my home wifi, 15 minutes playback = 15% of battery on moderate volume, ios 10, iphone 7

This is happening to me too on the iPhone 7 running iOS 10.0.2. Playing only offline playlists, sync over cellular turned off. Drains around 15-20% battery on my 30 minute subway ride. This is too much!
IMG_0065.PNG

Exact same problem for me too, Spotify has the most battery use (40%) on my 6s (running 10.0.2), even with BAR and push notifications disabled, in ADDITION to offline mode, with only moderate use. Hope they fix it soon because this is a joke.

My iPhone 6s plus uses much more energy becasuse of Spotify, 1 hour cardio training (streamed music YES, BECAUSE OF SPOTIFY IS A STREAMING SERVICE) -> -20 percent of battery 😞 I hate this...

I'm having the exact same problem.  It never used to drain my battery much at all, but ever since iOS 10 my battery has been dying midday with a moderate amount of listening. 

Displaying IMG_1518.PNG

Suggested posts