Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify causing severe battery drain on iPhone 6S running iOS 10

Solved!

Spotify causing severe battery drain on iPhone 6S running iOS 10

This was an issue on iOS 9 and still seems to be happening on iOS 10. Spotify is using 3x more battery than any other app and accounts for about 50% of all battery usage. This never used to be an issue, and I don't understand what it could possibly be doing that is so resource-hungry. Most of my listening is via saved songs on my offline playlist, so it isn't a mobile data issue.

Anyone know how to resolve this? A music player should not be impacting device battery life like this.

Edit Oct 11 2016: Adding a screenshot since this doesn't seem to be getting any traction with Spotify. I unplugged 4 hours ago and my battery is at 13%. And 46% of my battery has been used by Spotify over the last 24 hours.

unnamed.jpg
191 Replies

Same here, it´s unacceptable. It just dumps my whole battery within two hours, even in offline/and or airplane mode. ITS INSANE 😞

Got the same issue. Only listening to offline songs drains it like crazy. Almost 1% per minute. Gonna switch to Apple Music if this stays.
IMG_1943.PNG

Hey guys. I posted about this problem about a week ago, where I also had the problem. I've since solved it by factory restoring my iPhone 7 and setting it up as a new phone. Restoring from iCloud backup will NOT solve the issue!

I've only tested with streaming, whereas I was playing from offline playlists when I had the issue, so the problem could still be attributed to that. I will conduct further testing, but i'm pretty sure that restoring will fix this! I get around 6-7 hours more battery life a day now, which is how it should be.

Attatched are comprison pictures showing the improvement!
IMG_0065.PNG
IMG_0023.PNG

Cool, let us know what you uncover when you test streaming. Worth trying for everyone in here, but as a counterpoint, I have a 6S and had to factory restore for other reasons over the last few weeks, and haven't noticed an improvement in Spotify's battery usage.

I think you misunderstood, I am now streaming. When I had the issue I was playing offline. Are you having issues with offline or streaming?

Ooh you're right, I mistyped. I meant when you test playing from saved offline library.

Me too 😕  Killing my battery with same incredibly high percentage as others have psoted.  Also, this is from downloaded music, not streaming.

I almost bought an android, because of this. I first thought, my phone was done. I am using an iPhone 6. When not using spotify it works okay - not like on  the first day, but hey - it's 2 years old.

But the battery drain is a pain. doesn't make any difference if I use it online, online streaming, or offline. At the moment a battery pack is solving the issue for me. But having to recharge the phone three times a day can't be what they had in mind, when introducing Spotify.

Further more: Offline is NOT AN OPTION, after getting me hooked on the mixtapes! That feature is SO AWESOME, and I really love spotify. But if this continues, I might have to rethink.

Throwing my hat in to the conversation too.

IPhone 5s - Over 50% of battery used on Spotify. Power doesn't make it to the end of the day now. 

Would love to see a fix for this asap!

Greg

My iphone5c is using 80% battery and it is draining like water. Spotify needs to fix it ASAP!

This is no solution!!!  The issue exists when I listen to downloaded music.  Who chose this as a soultion????

Not sure who did it but I just fixed it. That is clearly not the issue.

**bleep**... Spotify just updated last night... (iPhone freshly unplugged and at 100% battery) I've been using Spotify offline for over 15 minutes and it hasn't drained any percentages off yet!?!?!?  Maybe they have finally caught on to whatever change in ios10 made the app constantly drain?  Anyone else able to confirm this?

EDIT - Well, it's been ~2.25 hours of offline music play (with a 5 min speaker phone call) and I'm at 83%.  Much better than it's been - usually I'm at the gym for 1.5 hours and it's a 45% drain.  I hope this continues... 

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out too and get back to the group!

YOU HAVE TOO MANY SONGS ON OFFLINE

Hey guys, if you can, try updating to iOS 10.2 beta, it made my battery a lot better on iPhone 6s Plus.

I'm on 10.2 and just updated the Spotify app. I'll test tonight and report back. Thanks all!

Battery drain is about the same for me unfortunately. Went from 100% to 28% during an hour in the gym and an hour making dinner.

Well, what I did is, I had really bad battery life on iOS 10 and 10.1. They tested my battery and it was fine. So I knew it was software fault. Beta iOS 10.2 was out this week so I:

- did a backup of my phone to iCloud that was on iOS 10.1

- restored my phone to a clean 10.1 version

- restored the backup from iCloud

- downloaded beta profile, so I could get beta update

- downloaded 10.2 beta 1 and installed it

Now my iPhone finally has battery life like it used to have on iOS 9. It's not that good but it's far better than on iOS 10.1. Hope this helps.

Same here, it started around 4 weeks ago. Please fix asap, I now stop using Spotify from time to time when battery is below 50%.

Suggested posts