Free

Country

US

Device

iPhone SE 2020

Operating System

iOS 14.3

My Question or Issue

So my issue is that Spotify will no longer run continuously on my phone. When the screen turns off Spotify will only continue to play for about 2-15 minutes and then the app closes. The music does not just pause, the app is actually closed.

In months past I could go on long car rides or bike rides and Spotify would continue to play in the background for 3 hours straight with no issue. I cannot say when the issue started but sometime in the last several weeks.

I've been reading the other threads here on the Community to try their suggestions to troubleshoot. I have logged out and back in; I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app both many times.  I have done a clean reinstall where you go into Spotify's app settings to delete cache, offload the app, then delete the app, turn the phone off and back on and then reinstall the app. Nothing has worked. The only thing I have not tried is to create a different account. But who wants to try this nonsense when you have years of data and songs linked to this account. Super frustrating.

Are there any other steps I can try? Thanks

12 Replies

I should also mention that this is not something that happens every once in a while but rather every single time if my memory serves me right.

And actually it happens even when the screen is on too.

Hey there @user-removed,

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We're sorry to hear about this. 

Can you try the following:

1 - Low Power Mode (Settings -> Battery -> Low Power Mode) needs to be off .

2 - Background App Refresh (Settings -> General-> Background App Refresh needs to be ON for Spotify.

If that doesn't do the trick - can you try with another internet connection to see if anything changes?

Also - can you log in with another account - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persist?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

The issue seems to have resolved. I am not sure how, only that it happened sometime after I created my post. I’ll come back to post here if the issue pops up again. Thanks

Hi again @user-removed!

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

We're happy to know that everything is working as usual. We'll be right here whenever you need us again.

Have a good one 🙂 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Well that didn’t last long. Suddenly after a week of normal constant usage, Spotify mysteriously continues to force close. No changes were made.  Beyond ridiculous. 

Well it seems that background app refresh was off for Spotify. I thought for sure it was on already but I’ve deleted and reinstalled the app so many times now that perhaps it was turned off. Hopefully this will help. 

low power mode was off. Thanks for the suggestions

Well the problem still arises even with background refresh on. Spotify force closes sometime less than 60 seconds after I open it up and hit play. I do not have an alternate or friends/relative account I can use. I am about ready to give. This is beyond frustrating. Between the blaring loud ads and the force closures this is a terrible application. 

Hey there @user-removed,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

We're aware of some issues with the app crashing on iOS. We recommend adding your +Vote to this Ongoing Issue. You can also Subscribe to it to be on top of any new updates we share about it.

If you have any questions, give us a shout.

Cheers.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hi, i have the same problem and i have tried what you said and what he said about “clean reinstall” everything that i’ve seen here in the community and nothing works. Please HELP.

it’s very frustrating 

Hi @camilabradleyrg

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community. 

Would you mind letting us know your device's make, model, OS version and Spotify version so we can take a better look?

We'd also recommend making sure that Spotify is allowed to run in the background. 

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I honestly don’t know what I’ve done to help or hurt the situation. I’ve
done everything listed here an probably more. The force closures will be
going on for a week or two straight and then suddenly out of no where it
stops and Spotify will work fine for a while. And then for no reason at all
suddenly the issue will come back. None of it makes any sense. And if you
search this is not just some new issue but can be dated back several years.

Suggested posts