Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify dropping connection with Sonos - iPhone / iPad

Spotify dropping connection with Sonos - iPhone / iPad

Plan

Family Premium

Country

Canada

Device

(iPhone 6, iPhone 8, iPad 2)

Operating System

(latest iOS)

My Question or Issue

Starting last week after years of use, Spotify cannot keep the connection to the Sonos app.   It drops after a few seconds.  Have unplugged and plugged back in router and all Sonos devices.  Have cleared cache on Sonos app.  Have restarted phones.  Have uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify app.   Still have same issue.   Our wifi is fine, everything else on Wifi works 100% ok.   Also, if we use the Sonos app directly it plays music fine with no dropped connection.   What is up with the Spotify app.  Very frustrating.    Please don't tell me it is our wifi because everyting else works fine.   Thanks.

20 Replies

I am having the exact same

problem! Playback/sync/connection drops off with Sonos speakers! Sonos have run diagnostics and say the App is at fault. It’s reporting that I’m reaching my streaming limit! This is happening since the latest iOS app update 

Thanks for the reply.

When you say "Sonos have run diagnostics and say the App is at fault

Do they mean the Spotify app or the Sonos app is at fault?  

Spotify app

Hey @Scott1074 and @user-removed,

Thanks for reporting this in the Community.

We think that this should be fixed now according to this and this thread. Could you let us know if you're still experiencing this?

Take care 🙂

Same issue with iPhone XR, iOS12.4.1, last version of spotify App

Most of the times Spotify app does not recognise Sonos Speaker.

Sonos App works Ok.

with PC, Android and other iPhone everything works as expected.

Any clue how to solve it?

Thanks

Update: other iPhone, also as some trouble. Seams an iOS issue!....

Hi, after nearly 3 years use I'm now experiencing the same problem. When I click on "go to the solution" I'm unable to find what it is I need to do.

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem with the connection between Spotify and Sonos. Are there any other solutions? 

I am experiencing the same problem I think. Music cuts out for a few seconds and then cuts back in. Works fine when playing directly in Sonos. Spotify also works fine on my iPhone when not streaming to Sonos.

has anyone found a solution to this issue?

I have the issue on my iPhone and iPad.  Only solution i have found is to restart one of them, then Sonos gets recognized again on the device you restarted as well as the other device. Ridiculous.  Have to do it once a day.

Same problem here after 3 yrs of enjoying Spotify. It seems to not like Sonos. Will discontinue annual sub if no corrective measure taken. Sorry, Spotify, after so many reports of same problem, one would think you step up to the plate and fix it PERMANENTLY 😕🤔

Yes me too. Loses Sonos speaker several x a week. Very frustrating. I too will switch shortly if not resolved. Ridiculous amount of time to reconnect/solve only to happen next day.

Hello @Gigigirl7,

Are your Spotify and Sonos apps updated to the latest version? You might be experiencing issues, if you're on an older version - More info on that here.

If the issue persists after you've made sure that both apps are up-to-date, we'd recommend going through the following troubleshooting steps:

• Unlink your Spotify account from the Sonos app.
  • Try a clean reinstall.
  • Make sure your devices are connected to the same WiFi network.
  • If you haven't yet, try restarting your router.
  • Try reducing wireless interference. Check out this Sonos Support page for more info.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi there,
A while ago when playing playlists, music dropped from my Sonos or songs skipped to the next one. I have recently taken out a trial on Apple Music, and played some Apple playlists to see if music cut out there as well, since I initially believed the issue was our wifi. But I have to say that on Apple playlists the music just plays fine without any cutting out or skipping. I have already reduced download speed but no change. Still doing it. Anything else I can do? Would appreciate some advice since I would like to keep Spotify. Thanks, Tim

Hey @TSvR,

Thank you for posting in the Community!

Please take a look at the reply from @Xenia and let us know if the issue persists after going through the abovementioned steps 🙂
We'd also like to ask you to tell us more about the issue you're experiencing. When does the connection drop and when are songs getting skipped through? Does it happen after a specific activity or is it random?

We'll be on the lookout for your response.
Many thanks!

VasilModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Vasil,

Thanks for sharing that post with me. I have not done those steps yet. To be honest it is a bit annoying having to do that but will try. In answer to your question - it is random. Usually it happens a few seconds after starting the music on the Sonos speaker but it then recovers and works fine for 10-20 mins before it drops off again but also recovers. Although sometimes it stops entirely. All the best, Tim

I have experienced this issue for a long time, have followed the threads and tried the various fixes suggested but none have worked. It does go through spells of a week or two when I think it’s fixed but then always reoccurs, very frustrating!

Was worth a try but unfortunately not working as some others have stated already. This is getting increasingly frustrating. Particularly with playlists on Apple and Youtube playing flawlessly. @Spotify - you really have to do something about this pls. Not sure how longer this can be borne. @vasil

See reply below.

Suggested posts