Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify is causing my XS to heat up.

Spotify is causing my XS to heat up.

so as far as I can tell with all my apps having background app refresh turned off Spotify almost immediately after I updated now will start to heat up my phone quickly after starting any tracks and then the app crashes approx 3 minutes later.  

i have tried to heat my phone up other ways with games that are graphics intensive but nothing heats it up as fast as the new update does. 

I’ve tried listening on other apps, watched YouTube, Reddit, Twitter all open and none of those heat my phone up. 

even listening to a video or a stream while playing a game doesn’t heat my phone up. 

something Spotify did to the app in this update has completely broken it.  

16 Replies

Hey @muu2, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Let's take a look at this. 

Could you try a clean reinstall of the Spotify app following the steps in this Spotify Answer? After you do the reinstall, allow 24 hours to see if the app causes the iPhone to heat up still. 

Also, make sure that your iOS is updated. You can check for any software updates on your iPhone by going to Settings > General > Software Update. 

Let me know how this goes - I'll also be here if you have any more questions.

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I’ll try this and see what happens as I’ve already reinstalled the app so I’ll tell you if it continues to overheat in 24 hours.

So seems to still happen now it barely makes it 1 minute into the songs.  

I even put an ice pack to see potentially if it was the temperature of the phone causing it and even then the app still crashes. 

Hey @muu2,

Hm, that's odd.

No worries - I'll take a closer look at this and get back to you as soon as possible. 

No need to put an ice pack on your iPhone. Don't do anything that can mess up or damage the iPhone because of the heat issues. 

Thanks for your patience in advance!

Billy-JSpotify Star

Hey @muu2,

Thank you for your patience as I took a closer look at this!

Can you let me know if you have any playlists with local files on your iPhone? If you do, try to remove them to see if that makes a difference. It's also recommended that you perform another clean reinstall afterwards to get rid of any leftover data.

If possible, you can log in to a different account on your iPhone to make sure it's not an issue with the account itself.

Keep me updated.

Billy-JSpotify Star

I do have a couple of playlists with local songs on them but after the reinstall they aren’t on my phone now.

I had tried after the first reinstall without any account and it still had this issue.

Is there any way to move to another version maybe the beta or alpha?

Hey @muu2,

I'd recommend taking a look here if you'd like to know more about or have access to the Alpha and Beta versions.

Additionally, I would like to suggest some steps which will help optimize the battery life of your iPhone: 

• Constantly check for any iOS updates as well as Spotify updates

• Turn off high-drain features such as WiFi, Bluetooth, and hotspots when not needed

• Limit activities which require an internet connection such as having multiple apps running (even in the background), using GPS for long periods, or playing/pausing videos on streaming while using Spotify

• Keep an eye on your screen brightness levels to make sure they’re not unnecessarily high

• Take good care of your battery by - among other things - using the power adapter which came with your phone, preventing the device from overheating, and charging it only for as long as it takes for it to reach full battery capacity

I hope this helps!

Billy-JSpotify Star

What if this problem still continues and you've done all the suggestions? On top of it heating up my phone it pauses after 30 seconds of playing

Hi there @xSpanishJ,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Could you tell us when did this start happening and the exact version of your Spotify app and OS?

Also can you run us through exactly what troubleshooting you've done so far.

Thanks.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

@Alex It started happening around last week. I have iOS 14.2 and Spotify Version 8.5.84 as for troubleshooting I've tried clean uninstall/reinstall, clear cache, sign out everywhere, restart device and reset network settings.

Hey @xSpanishJ,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

Can you check if there are other apps running in the background? It's also important that there is at least 1GB of free memory on your device for optimum performance.

Keep us posted! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator

@Ver No apps running besides Spotify and I have about 30gb left on my phone

Hey there @xSpanishJ,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation

What we recommend is switching off Background app refresh. Go to Settings General Background App Refresh.

We also suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app again.

Keep us posted 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi. My iPhone XS overheats after about 5-7 minutes of listening music in the background. Here is the data for debugging:

Plan: Premium

Region: Russia

Phone model: iPhone XS 256 Gb, iOS 14.2

Networking: AirPlane ON, WIFI OFF, Bluetooth ON, VPN OFF

Capacity: More than 50% of storage are free

Music: Downloaded for offline listening

Background App Refresh: Disabled for Spotify App

Some details: It started recently. Before that, there was no overheating for more than three months

My suggestion: I made all the tips from the topic Spotify-app-make-my-iPhone-hot and Spotify-is-causing-my-XS-to-heat-up . My observation suggests that overheating occurs when the Spotify app is running in the background in parallel with some other application. It seems to me that when the Spotify app is the only one running in the background, there is less or no overheating at all.

Hey @DVNT_SND,

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

This issue has been reported and the team in charge is currently looking into this. We'd recommend you to add your vote for the Ongoing Issue here.   

You can also Subscribe via the three-dots menu in the top right corner next to the title to stay up to date with any relevant updates about this.

If you have any other questions, just let us know! 

ElenaModerator

This is still an issue. Happens to mine and Ive done all the suggested ideas listed. It’s great knowing Spotify can’t fix their app to stop overheating after hours. Mine always happens between the hours of 10-7 when my phone is on DND. 😒

Suggested posts