Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone XS, iOS  12.1.4

Spotify Version

My Question or Issue

When Spotify is playing, a lot of the time it does not let my phone screen go to sleep. This even happens if my phone screen is off and I get a notification - the screen then stays on, while on the lock screen. This is not ideal when my phone is in my pocket and it stays awake without my knowledge.

I cleared out all apps, turned off the phone, turned it back on, and opened Spotify directly. I played a song through the phone speaker (no Bluetooth) and the issue persisted. The issue does not happen when no music is playing.

I had no issues with Spotify on Android before I got an iPhone. Really confused about why the iOS app is so buggy.

12 Replies

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? Sorry if this may sound a bit repeptitive but if that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app by following these steps.

Could you also try the Remove Offline Devices from your Spotify account page?

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

I stated I restarted the phone and posted all version/OS info in OP.

Hey @grazamatazm

Thanks for contributing in this thread 🙂

I had the same issue but after a second reinstall it got resolved for me.

Have a nice day.

@Loxer I uninstalled and reinstalled, then I uninstalled again, restarted the phone and reinstalled. That seems to have done it as of now.

Thanks for the help!

Welp, this issue has started back up again. I've uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled, to no avail. Spotify is even keeping my phone screen awake on the lock screen. This does not happen when Spotify is not running.

I'm getting frustrated because, again, my phone wakes up in my pocket and stays awake and my battery drains and things get pressed.

Spotify version 8.4.96.934

iOS 12.1.4, iPhone XS

Go to Settings > Playback > Canvas. Make sure its disabled.

I had the same issue and this seemed to fix it for me.

Yes! This worked for me!

I’be been having this issue as well. I usually end up calling people in my favorites list every time I go for a mountain bike ride. Very annoying. 

The canvas setting change seems to solve the problem. 

I had disabled both Canvas and Behind the Lyrics and was still occasionally having the issue. That said, it seems to have been resolved with the latest update (I'm hoping). Fingers crossed!

I was having the same problem. Very annoying as it drains your battery very easily since the lock screen will stay aake as soon as you get a notification. 

After disabling Canvas mode as mentioned above, the issue seems to have been resolved. For reference, I'm using an iPhone X running os12.2.

Also have the same issue... tried all the troublshooting and still keeps my scren awake, sometimes randomly, and sometimes briefly.... About to cancel and switch back over to Apple Music. 

You're the real MVP totally solved the issue. Thanks you!

I followed all the steps above and I'm still having this issue. I wish they would fix this on the next updates because it's really draining my battery and it's just very annoying.

I uninstalled the app and reinstalled. I turned off Canvas. I followed the troubleshootting steps (clear app data > uninstall app > turn off phone > turn on phone > install app) and the issue stopped for a while but it's back now, even after several updates.

I don't know what to do!!!

Suggested posts