Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps crashing on iOS

Spotify keeps crashing on iOS

So everytime I’ve gone to listen to music the app starts crashing forcing me to unlock my phone and reopen the app its so annoying and I’m over it can you please please please fix Spotify it’s also been draining my battery to quite a bit and I’m really annoyed it’s happened ever since I’ve updated to iOS 14

22 Replies

Hey @Ethan_Tyler, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a clean reinstall of the app following these steps.

If you're still having trouble, let me know what device this happens on, as well as the current software version.

Let me know how this goes!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Good day

I’ve just tried out the methods you suggested however I still am experiencing issues with the app crashing and stopping in the middle of songs.

I own an iPhone 7 On the latest iOS version 14.2 and I’ve asked a few people if they are experiencing the same problem and I’m the only one that is having this problem as far as I am aware.

I hope you guys can do something to solve this ongoing problem as I it’s an annoying ongoing problem and I love listening to my music so if you guys can do anything to sort out the issue I am gratefully for that if not I think you guys at Spotify for your effort and helping me out.

Kind regards

Ethan Berglund

I have the same issue on IPhone 7+ iOS 14.2
Please help us!!!
Thanks

I have the same issue on a new iPhone 11.

please help

Hi folks, 

Thanks for reaching out about this.

@Ethan_Tyler, @Cesar87, sorry for the delayed reply. Could you let us know if the issue is still happening?

@Taken, just to check, can you let us know if while you're using the Spotify app you've noticed any unusual battery draining? If so, you can add your vote on this Ongoing issue.  

On another note, we suggest that you make sure the OS of your device is up-to-date. It's also well worth trying it with a different connection to check if it makes the difference.    

Additionally, could you confirm that your phone's battery saving options are disabled?    

Cheers - keep us posted!

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I have had a similar problem for about two months; the app keeps crashing in the middle of songs and brings me back to a few seconds in when I reopen the app. The only difference is that my battery does not drain. I have tried multiple quick resets and clean restarts and the problem persists. I am using an iPhone XS on the latest iOS (iOS 14.3). If you have any solutions I'll take them gladly.

Hey @fanhasnofriends

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community, and welcome 🙂

Would you mind letting us know if the app is crashing when you're using it or when it's running in the background?

Also, does this happen when you log into your account using a different device?

Keep us posted!

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Evening 

I have the exact same issue

spotify plays fine on my car bluetooth, my Alexa. However when you attempt to play anything including downloaded music or podcasts. On either the phone or Bluetooth headphones it switches off after less than a minute. 

the app is up to date, iOS is up to date, I have tried the various fixes listed over the year ie clean install, deleting safari cache etc also solves the problem for a short period of time then it all continues. 

from reading threads this appears to be an issue which has been running for quite sometime. 

I am beginning to think that the only solution is to switch providers as this does not appear to be getting rectified.  

Hi @Sparkymtg

Thanks for reaching out about this. We'll do our best to help you sort this out.

Just to confirm, have you noticed battery draining on your device?

Also, could you ask a friend or a family member to log into their personal account using your device to see if they can replicate this issue?

Let us know how it goes.

NovyModerator

Thanks for the reply.

There is no battery drain.

My partner has tried logging in on her iPhone to my account and has the same issues.

This only appears to have started occurring since moving to an iPhone 11.

Hi again @Sparkymtg

Thanks for your reply!

Would you mind letting us know if it also happens when you log into your account using her iPhone?

In case it works with no issues, let us know the exact OS version and model of this device, along with the Spotify version it's currently running. 

We'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

NovyModerator

Hi just checked it does the same, on my partners phone.

We both have iphone 11’s

iOS version is 14.3

And

Spotify version 8.5.93.494

Hey @Sparkymtg,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

Just to double check- does the issue occur when a friend or a family member tries logging in to their account on your device? That way we can check if it's an account-related issue.

If everything is running smoothly, it's a good idea to head here and create a new account. Then you can give these steps a go and transfer your music so you can enjoy your favorite jams on the other account as well.

Keep us in the loop! We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Thanks for the reply from reading this you are advising to close the account and create a new one!

I am the main account holder for family membership. So this means I will have to reset everyone’s access etc again is that correct??

Hey @Sparkymtg,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

That's correct. If the issue doesn't persist when testing this with another friend or family member's account, you can start afresh with a new account. Once you do that, you will need to subscribe again to Premium for Family and send a new invite so they can join your new plan. Keep in mind however that members can only switch Family plans once a year.

On another note, it looks like there's a newer version of the app currently available. Before you try testing things with a new account, we'd recommend performing one last clean reinstall by following the steps here.

If you're still having troubles after that and you'd prefer not to start afresh with a new account, you can always click here and reach out to our support teams so that they can take a look backstage for you. 

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Ver Moderator

The app only crashes when it's running in the background, usually when my phone is turned off and I'm not using it for anything else. And it only crashes when I use this account on my phone, not on any other device.

It's probably a problem with the device because I tried using another account to listen to Spotify on my phone and the same problem occurred. I recall the problem starting once I got a new phone, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Hi the last suggestion bu the moderator of deleting the cache and then reinstalling from scratch appears to have fixed the problem at the current time.

Doesn’t appear to be an issue with the phone as I have tried it with the account on two other peoples phones and it was doing exactly the same thing.

With a bit of luck it does appear to be fixed at present

Hey folks,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

@Sparkymtg Glad to hear it worked out and the reinstall of the app helped.

@fanhasnofriends In case you're using any battery optimization or power saving apps, we'd suggest you deactivate them for Spotify. It's also a good idea to check if Spotify has the permissions to run in the background.

Keep us in the loop! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator

Turning off low power mode and turning on background app refresh worked, thank you!

Suggested posts