Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps crashing.

Spotify keeps crashing.

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia

Device

iPhone 8 Plus

Operating System

iOS 14.3

My Question or Issue

The app will not let me even play half a song without crashing. I have logged in and out, updated, uninstalled and reinstalled, and even updated my iOS. It won’t play songs downloaded onto my phone, or stream new ones. It’s just as bad after updating everything, if not worse, as it was before. It started happening probably a week ago and has only gotten progressively worse to the point where I can’t listen to anything. Please god fix it I hate free YouTube music so much

30 Replies

Hey @Croseshe

Help’s here!

If a regular reinstall didn't do the trick you might need to try a clean reinstall as well. This will remove corrupted data from previous installations that could be causing the crash. 

Another thing you can check is if any battery optimization or data cleaning apps/settings run active on your device. Make sure you disable these since such features can often prevent the app from operating at full capacity.

Keep us posted! We'll be here if you have any questions. 

Hi Ivan, my app keeps crashing too....it’s so frustrating!!! It literally stops in the middle of a song and when I open Spotify and press play, the song starts from the beginning again. I’ve tried signing out of everywhere, deleting and reinstalling the app, restarting my iPhone. It crashes frequently!
I have the most current version of iOS and Spotify (I use the free version). I also use an iPhone XS.  I started to notice this bug about a month ago. Prior to this, I had no issues with it. Where do I check for battery optimisation? I don’t believe I have any data cleaning apps either....HELP!

Hey @LJ_S

Welcome to the Community!

If your app still crashes after clean reinstall it's also a good idea to log in to your Spotify account on another device just to check if you observe the same.

If it doesn't occur on a different device, we'd suggest making sure that your original device is up to speed with any software updates available.

To check your power optimization settings have a look at this support page. 

Stay tuned! 

IOS 14.2

Iphone X

Premium

Spotify version 8.5.86.739

My spotify has also been crashing for the past week. It would crash halfway throughout the song, meaning the entire app shuts down and im back to the homepage. When i re enter spotify, the song bar is at 10seconds and if i continue playing the song, it will crash again halfway through. It is the same regardless if im on 4G or on WIFI. 

I have logged out and into the app, updated the app, reinstalled, even done the clean reinstallation and i still face the same problem.

I asked my family member to login their accounts using my phone and spotify worked fine for them. I logged my account into their phone and spotify worked fine too. It seems to me that the problem is using MY account on MY phone. The desktop version of spotify is even worse, it is very laggy and halfway through the song it also crashes. ALL of these problems only started showing this week. No problems prior to this. Please advise me on what to do next as i am very frustrated. 

Hey @zhhengyyi

Thanks for the detailed explanation you provided to us. 

We usually suggest trying out if others' accounts work on your device or if you can use your account successfully on a different device. But in the scenario you describe it seems it'll be easier to create a new Spotify account in order to test if it'd work fine on your own device. 

In case it works with the new account, you can follow the steps in this Spotify Answer next. No worries, if you follow these steps you'll keep all your saved contents and subscription. 

Let us know how it goes.  

Hello! So actually right after i posted last week, i realised that there was a specific playlist that kept crashing everytime i tapped on it. I also had to spend 10 minutes to remove the playlist from my library because it kept causing spotify to crash, so i think the problem really was that. The playlist is 'slowed and reverbed' by Atikah Iskandar which has over 89k likes. Even as i am searching for that playlist now, it still causes my spotify to crashon my phone and on my com. But luckily, ever since i removed it, spotify hasnt crashed. I hope this helps. 

Hi again @zhhengyyi

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

We're happy to hear that the app is now working as usual. 

If you need us again, you know where to find us 🙂

Have a nice day!

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I did a clean reinstall and it worked for about two weeks. Now it’s crashing again, and I’ve also noticed sometimes when I’m on an album, I’m suddenly unable to click on any songs, as when I do nothing happens. Then I have to close the app and reopen it for it to work again. I could kind of deal with that, but I can’t deal with it crashing in under a minute. There’s nothing wrong with my phone, and every other app with sound works. I’m also not listening to music uploaded as podcasts so that they can be slowed and reverb, and I’m also not listening on a really long playlist- it was just an album I searched up myself to stream. Will there be an update soon, because I’ve seen this problem seems to be happening to a lot of people?

Hi @Croseshe

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and for the information you sent. 

Could you let us know if this issue happens across different devices or only on your phone?

On another note, we suggest that you make sure the OS of your device is up-to-date. It's also well worth trying it with a different connection to check if it makes the difference. 

Let us know how it goes 🙂

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi @Ivan
Thanks for your prompt response.
My device had already been updated with the latest software and app updates.
I tried the clean reinstall and it kept crashing after updating the settings on my iPhone. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to test Spotify on a different device however I did create a new account and it doesn’t appear to crash anymore.
Thanks
LJ

On top of the crashing, when I click on albums or playlists sometimes the songs don’t let me click them, like it loads and I press them but nothing happens. I think I mentioned this before but I don’t think I did in as much detail. Please update the app.

Hey there @Croseshe and @LJ_S,

Thank you for your replies in this thread.

@LJ_S - we're really glad to hear that everything works as it should for you again. If anything comes up we're always one reply away 🙂

@Croseshe - can you log in on the device with another account - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persist?

It would also be great if you can let us know which version of the app you have?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

As I have said to both previous people, I updated my Spotify to the newest version weeks ago. And I’ve done that; “My Spotify account worked on my laptop, and also on my mum’s phone. Her account worked on my phone too.” 

I'm having similar issues of Spotify crashing on iOS. I noticed it earlier this fall and thought it was my phone (iPhone 6s). When I went to an iPhone 12, it still kept happening. I feel like it's gotten slightly worse lately. It's not every other song, but it does seem to be occurring more frequently. I've tried a clean reinstall and clearing caches, as suggested in other posts. I've also confirmed I am running the most up-to-date Spotify app. I've not noticed it as much on my other devices (Apple TV and computer), but I don't listen to music on those devices as frequently as my phone. Any other suggestions?

He @Croseshe and @ivseat,

Thank you for your reply and post in this thread.

We would appreciate if you both could try out another internet connection, and also log in with another account on device/devices to see if the issue persists.

Let us know how everything works so we can keep on assist you if you need us to. We're always one reply away.

JeremyModerator

I’ve tried it on my mobile data, and two different internet connections. It keeps crashing in a minute. My mums account works perfectly fine on my phone, along with all other music and audio playing apps. She’s on a different wifi network to me but both my and her accounts play music perfectly fine on her phone, not that it should really matter as since her account works on my phone it’s clearly not my phone’s problem. Please, update the app I’m about to have an aneurysm

i should mention that my mums not on iOS, she’s on android, and it’s works on Mac as well. It’s an iPhone problem.

Hey @Croseshe,

Thank you for your reply.

Would you mind creating a new test account to see how the app behaves when you're logged into that?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator

I know it works on other family members accounts within our family premium. I don’t want to make a new account because I’ve got the algorithm perfectly suited to me, and all my songs. I want my account fixed. Is making a new account going to help with that? I know other accounts work on my phone.

Suggested posts