Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify needs to be opened to download music?

Solved!

Spotify needs to be opened to download music?

I have bought an iphone 8 and wanted to download all my songs. But it only downloads when the app is open and im not idle. 

This takes a lot of time because im about to download like 2k songs. 

I never had that problem with other devices. Any ideas? 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @insanedubstep

To download, the Spotify app needs to stay open, otherwise after 5-10 minutes it will stop downloading in the background. This is due to Apple's background activity restrictions. 

The best way is to go into the iPhone settings:

Settings --> Display --> Auto Lock --> Set it to "NEVER"

Now leave the Spotify app open on your iPhone and let it sit on a table plugged in to power to download. I also usually turn down my screen brightness very low while this is happening to not wear out my screen.

When you are done, make sure to turn "Auto Lock" back to your preferred setting and you can turn your screen brightness back up.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I found that leaving spotify to play something in the meanwhile will download songs in the background. If you don't feel like listening to anything, turn your volume all the way down. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @insanedubstep

To download, the Spotify app needs to stay open, otherwise after 5-10 minutes it will stop downloading in the background. This is due to Apple's background activity restrictions. 

The best way is to go into the iPhone settings:

Settings --> Display --> Auto Lock --> Set it to "NEVER"

Now leave the Spotify app open on your iPhone and let it sit on a table plugged in to power to download. I also usually turn down my screen brightness very low while this is happening to not wear out my screen.

When you are done, make sure to turn "Auto Lock" back to your preferred setting and you can turn your screen brightness back up.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Thanks for your answer. This is retarded, iPhone really sucks. And there are people who still think iPhone is better than android. Lol 

You're welcome!

Well normally apps don't need to run in the background and download thousands of things like with the Spotify app. Apple does this to protect your battery life so things are not constantly using lots of processing power in the background.

So having to do this to download songs in the Spotify app isn't too bad. Especially since you rarely have to do it. Once you download them they are downloaded. I have been using the iPhone since 2009 and overall I really like it and prefer it over Android.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Marked as solution

I found that leaving spotify to play something in the meanwhile will download songs in the background. If you don't feel like listening to anything, turn your volume all the way down. Hope this helps.

Re: Bogdan666
This works even better than the posted solution!

And it has the massive benefit of not burning my screen in or having to change any phone settings. Excellent workaround.

Now I'm finally able to download songs with the screen off.

Thank you!

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/foundation/url_loading_system/downloading_files_in_the_bac...
iOS ABSOLUTELY has an API for downloading files in the background. Spotify is just too lazy to implement it. I see no reason to continue using Spotify because of this issue. To blame Apple is really terrible. iOS should be more open, but lying about iOS's capabilities to make people outraged at iOS's walled-garden design brings the movement down. Be better, Spotify.

Thank you!! This saved me

Suggested posts