Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify on iPhone 5 will not log in

Spotify on iPhone 5 will not log in

Hi all, I'm trying to get Spotify to work on my iPhone 5, model A1428, app version 8.5.28.1046 on iOS 10.3.4.  I have two identical iPhone 5's, same iOS version, same model number, same app version installed on both.  Whenever I try to login to the app, it gives an error, "Something went wrong, please try again later."  If you attempt to log in again, it won't even try, it will immediately give the error message again, and if you attempt to use the log in without password option, it will say your email is not registered with a Spotify account.  I've tried on two identical iPhone 5's, even tried on my friend's iPhone 5C, also running the same app version and iOS version; it does the exact same thing.  I've logged into my Spotify account on my PC both in the browser as well as in the Spotify app for Windows, works fine.  I've logged into Spotify on my iPhone 12 Pro Max, my iPhone 5S, even on my iPhone 4S, all on different app versions, all logged in and worked fine. 

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 5, iPhone 5C

Operating System

iOS 10.3.4 (14G61)

36 Replies

This Sounds very similar to my Problem:

iPad Gen 4.

iOS 10.3.3

Country Germany

On an iPad Gen 4. I used Spotify sucessfully until the day before yesterday.

Yesterday I did a reset of this iPad (Same iOS Version as before) with a new Apple ID and a fresh install of the latest compatible Spotify iOS Version.

Now I cannot log in anymore. neither with E-Mail and password nor with username and password.

Error in German: "Irgendwas ist schiefgelaufen. versuche es später noch einmal."

Which means "Something went wrong. Try again later."

I also cannot use passwordless Login.

The Users are obviously ok. I can log into Spotiy on other  devices and also on the Browser.

Unfortunately the Webplayer does Not work either what is not surprising because  of the iOS Version. The latest Versions of Chrome cannot be installiert at all. The Webplayer does not work with Safari nor Edge on this iPad.

Hi there @nico177479 and @Matt_Music1,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community and welcome!

We're afraid that the minimum iOS version required to run Spotify is 12, so it's expected that it won't work on previous versions, such as this case. You can find more info on system requirements in this article.

Hope this clears things up. If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

Cheers 🙂

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I'm really sorry, but this is a poor answer and the reason is that the problem is not the minimun iOS version required for running Spotify, this because using an old iPhone, even if you are not able to download the most updated version of the app, it's still possible to download the most recent one working on that OS. Using iOS 10.3.3 or 10.3.4 makes you download the version 8.5.28 of Spotify. Even if it is a bit old, it was really stable. Since 3 weeks (for me) it's not possible to login in the app using this version, I think due to some connection problems (It's like all the connections from this Spotify version were cut down). For what i tried, it's possible to login in a lot of other devices with even an older version of spotify (in the forum there is a person saying that he could login in the version 8.4.62.490 of his iPad mini with iOS 9.3.5, and it's the same for me.)

Hey @FFMagg

Thanks for your message.

We're sorry to hear that you're having these issues. We always recommend updating your devices to their latest firmware version in order to have the best experience. However, keep in mind that we can't guarantee proper functionality of the app with older/unsupported OS versions.

The Community will be here if anything else comes up. 

Take care.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Same problem here. Looks like Spotify has changed something in their login procedure that breaks compatibility with older app versions. Would be nice to get a solution from Spotify. I don't see why I should trash a perfectly working iPhone 5 just because companies like apple,Spotify and almost any other don't provide long term support for their stuff. And we are supposed to act environmental friendly....

Would be great if Spotify could pick that up and make a difference.

Same problem here. Looks like Spotify has changed something in their login procedure that breaks compatibility with older app versions. Would be nice to get a solution from Spotify. I don't see why I should trash a perfectly working iPhone 5 just because companies like apple,Spotify and almost any other don't provide long term support for their stuff. And we are supposed to act environmental friendly....

Would be great if Spotify could pick that up and make a difference.

Same problem also here. My daugther cannot login with her iphone 5 anymore. OS or app upgrade is not possible. Old iphones are nice spotify players for kids. These devices should not be waste just because the logon to Sportify does not work anymore. Would be highly appreciated when Sportfy can provide a fix.

I am having the same issue, it was working fine until yesterday when I logged out to log into another account. Now I cannot log into either. I do not see why this should effect the ability to run spotify on iphone 5C, especially as it was working fine until logging out. I use it every day for music in the car.

I do not see why we would be expected to purchase a new iphone to run spotify. As a premium user for many years now, I would appreciate the support in this please. This can surely not be acceptable. I would prefer not to change streaming services.

I am having the same issue. Spotify was working just fine on my old iPhone 5c, until I logged out. Now I can’t sign back in. I was using this as my music phone in my home, hooked up to an old Bose speaker with a 1/8” cable. Now I have nothing. Poor show. 

Please someone fix this. It's important for me to use my older equipment as a music station.

It can't be that hard to make it work again. We have devices that are still acceptable to play music. My iPhone 5 is one of those devices. Please someone fix this.

Please try to fix it. 😉

Well, Apple music does work on it... Good bye Spotify, hello Apple music?

Hey folks,

Thanks for the reply.

Spotify will only run on devices running iOS 12 or later. Check this compatibility guide for more info.

Unfortunately you won't be able to run Spotify on the iPhone 5, as it supports iOS up to version 10.3.3.

Hope this info helps. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey Spotify, that means I, and millions of Iphone5's users, should just trash our Iphone5c away, and buy another device in order to fulfill absolutely non-environmental protocols? Please let's think green once for all. It seems big techs have learned nothing about global warming.  My Spotify version 8.5.28 was working perfectly well until Last week when reinstalled it. This seems to be more of a political/business decision than a technical one.

perfect devices used for playing music on your platform. Why would you take away this capability?

These replies we are receiving seem very generic, like the team is just repeating what they have been told without taking this matter seriously. Has this be considered further by the developers? Or simply left after we have received your responses. 

As you can tell from all our above comments spotify was working perfectly fine on the iphone 5 until we either logged out or reinstalled the app. Which goes to show there is no issue with compatibility. This leaves me wondering whether there is a financial incentive.

Apple also provides the feature where we can download older versions of the apps.

Used Spotify for quite a while on my iPhones 5C, it's a shame that just because I can't login I can't use it anymore, before I logged out all worked well so I dont see any reason as to why Spotify would have to stop allowing their paying customers to login to the app! Even YouTube and any other major companies still support their older apps such as instagram, Apple Music, twitter, Netflix and I could keep going but I won't, consider fixing this issue and you can also be added to the above list SPOTIFY!!!

Same situation. Perfectly working iPhone 5 which I'd want to use as a Spotify only platform for my car. I don't see why you don't allow login anymore.

Suggested posts