Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify player suddenly smaller?

Spotify player suddenly smaller?

I opened Spotify on my iPhone 6 Plus and all seemed well, until I opened the larger player. I noticed that everything was smaller than before: the album art, the controls, everything. I did not notice an update for Spotify in the app store, so I'm assuming this is just an error. I much prefer the larger album art and controls. How can I fix this problem?

I've attached a pic for reference:Screenshot

19 Replies

Hi,

have you tried to reinstall Spotify? Or just to sign out and in? 

If my post solved your issue, please accept it as a solution.

I have the same problem with my iPhone 5c

And yes I have tried reinstalling

If I do that, will I lose all of the songs I have saved offline?

I have just tried logging out and back in to no avail.

The reinstall did not work for me so there is no reason to uninstall because the player stays the same. It is probably something on spotifys end

Spotify is starting to roll out a new now playing screen to the iOS app.

They are aware of feedback regarding the smaller album art size and how some people don't like it.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for your reply! It isn't just the album art though. Certain controls have been taken off the now playing screen and they are solely missed. The old screen was perfect, why change it at all?

Nothing was really removed. Connect icon appears at the bottom if connect devices are available.

The song times hide after a short period though, so that can be annoying. I know it is to me.

MattSudaSpotify Star

The volume button was removed and I appreciated being able to change the volume through the touchscreen interface rather than the physical buttons. Personal preference, but still, a downgrade.

Spotify should return to the old now playing screen or at the very least give users a choice. To just go up and change the screen like that without any forewarning (not even a software update) was kind of annoying.

Here's a pic to illustrate how much nicer the Now Playing screen used to be. Why they messed with a great thing, I have no idea.
image.jpg

@TheKingLives

I'll pass your feedback on

MattSudaSpotify Star

@RYMR

Yeah it's kinda weird but I think the new "now" features announced yesterday have something to do with the new now playing screen.

Based on if you are running or watching a video the now playing screen adjusts to it.

If you have a Spotify Connect device available, the play control will actually be where the empty space is and the connect icon will appear at the bottom. Before, the connect button was on the right but now it's hidden unless a connect device is available. 

MattSudaSpotify Star

I see what you're saying but i also feel the layout should be up to the user. Or at the very least, if the user doesn't have connect or isn't watching a video, it should reformat back to the old format.

I'm a big fan of album covers and a big stickler for wasted space so this is Worst of Both Worlds right now. i kinda wish I could downgrade at the moment.

Hi Matt,

Can you also feed back that I don't like the fact that the battery level, signal strength etc. are now hidden at the top of the screen.

I might be listening to Spotify but I still want to know if my battery needs charging.

Thanks

I need this too! So annoying when out and about!

Hey everyone,

Thank you for your feedback. We'll definitely pass this on to the relevant team.

@Gibbage

I think Spotify removed the status bar from the now playing screen because a lot of people take screenshots of it and post it to social media. This makes the picture cleaner to share. 

You can still see the status bar outside of the now playing screen.

MattSudaSpotify Star

@MattSuda wrote:

The song times hide after a short period though, so that can be annoying. I know it is to me.

The timer hiding after a few seconds is going to impact if I keep paying for my premium subscription. I use the iPhone5 app for the cycle classes I teach & I cue the drills based on the music & where we are in the songs. Without the timer staying visible, this app holds very little value for me and I'll have to go back to the other music service & buy all my songs again. I learned this the hard way today while teaching & luckily had my watch with me, but I had to reset the counter on my watch at the start of every song so I knew where I was. Super disappointed with this change.

Suggested posts