Solved!

Spotify won't play on Apple Watch

pr78

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

iPhone 13 Pro Max, Apple Watch Series 7 (GPS + Cellular)

Operating System

iOS 15.1, WatchOS 8.1

My Question or Issue

I have Spotify installed on my phone and watch. On the phone it works fine and I have also downloaded a playlist on the watch. When I try to play music on the watch, however, it will not connect. I tap the icon to choose the device to play in, choose watch and it just keeps pulsating wite without ever connecting.

I tried all troubleshooting steps: updating watch, phone, Spotify, deleting Spotify from the watch and reinstalling it, rebooting watch and phone, and nothing seems to fix it. I have also tried 2 different Bluetooth headphones and neither works.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

pr78

Contacted @SpotifyCares directly on Twitter and they identified an issue with my offline cache. They reset it, I deleted and reinstalled the app on both watch and phone and after that, it worked fine.

If you're having the same issue I'd suggest you contact support directly.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
Marked as solution

pr78

Contacted @SpotifyCares directly on Twitter and they identified an issue with my offline cache. They reset it, I deleted and reinstalled the app on both watch and phone and after that, it worked fine.

If you're having the same issue I'd suggest you contact support directly.

MafeG

Hi @pr78,

Thank you for posting on the Community!

You mentioned this issue happens with different Bluetooth headphones, have you tried starting the playback without connecting any headphones, just using the Watches' speaker? If not, please give it a try. 

Also, have you tried playing the playlist you've downloaded while the Watch isn't connected to the internet? This can help us get more insights about this.

We'll be on the lookout.

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

pr78

As I mentioned, this has been resolved already, but I can confirm that:

1. I can turn all connectivity off now and it will continue playback.

2. It doesn't seem to let me play music in the watch's speaker: when I select the watch without headphones connected, it asks me to connect some.

MafeG

Hi @pr78,

Thank you for your reply!

Apologies for the confusion, it seems our replies were posted with a few minutes of difference. In any case, we're glad to know the issue was solved and you're able to use your Watch to play music.

About the speakers, some models limit this function due to battery restrictions. But as long it keeps playing your music through Bluetooth devices, all functionality should remain normal.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

MafeGModerator

goz106

I have this same issue on an apple watch 5 (cellular) - how do I get this resolved? Thank you!

AndresM

Hi @goz106,

Thanks for posting on the Community. 

We recommend that you log out everywhere. You'll find this option by scrolling down here. Afterwards, reinstall the app on your watch and phone (you'll need to download your tunes again if you have Premium). Once this process is completed, restart both devices before launching Spotify again and tell us if the issue persists.

Keep us posted.

AndresMModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

Gerda1

I have similar issue. Whenever I try to play spotify on apple watch, it asks to check my connection and try again. Both apple watch and iphone are connected to the same wifi.

AndresM

Hi @Gerda1,

Thanks for posting on the Community and welcome.

Just to confirm, have you followed the steps suggested on my last post on the thread?

On another note, tell us if this is happening with another WiFi network. 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

AndresMModerator
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

Jpk1889

Hi will Spotify save my playlists if I delete apps form both ? 
I’m also unable to play downloaded playlist direct from watch to AirPods. I have wiped and reset up my watch still no joy.

OscarDC

Hey @Jpk1889,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome.

If you delete both apps, your playlists, saved music and followers won't be affected and  they will remain registered in your account. If after deleting the app you want to see your playlists again, you just need to log in using the email and password you've set in your account.

For the issue with the Watch, could you confirm if you've followed the steps in the articles previously sent by @Andres? If so and the issue persists, please follow the steps in this article to play your tracks in Offline mode from your Watch.

If the issue persists, include in your next response the WatchOS version you have on your device, along with the Spotify version you're currently running on your phone and Watch.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

ChroMags

First, pairing used to work, now doesn’t.

This problem has been bugging me for weeks; I deleted and reinstalled apps; no help.

Finally found this thread, tried the suggested: log-out, delete both, restart both, add app, restart both, try connecting on watch.

No use. just as before; on the watch, Bluetooth headphones connected, both phone and watch flash up in bottom right devices, then the watch “disappears”. Press play on watch, Spotify plays on watch speakers.

in one reply it was suggested try without headphones, same thing, watch flashes up then “disappears”

Both devices connected on home Wi-Fi, but same series of event happens both devices connected on gym Wi-Fi.

ChroMags

Typo before, s/b “plays on phone speakers”

No use. just as before; on the watch, Bluetooth headphones connected, both phone and watch flash up in bottom right devices, then the watch “disappears”. Press play on watch, Spotify plays on phone speakers.

Eni

Hey @ChroMags,

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Would you mind checking if the OS of your phone and your watch are up to date?

On another note, we'd like to know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update.

Keep us posted.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

ChroMags

@Eni

Thanks for the prompt response.

watch = 8.6

iphone = 15.5

I don’t remember it happening at an update, but it is possible. 

I was at the gym one day and everything worked perfectly with the “hand-off”. Then a couple days later the “hand-off “ malfunctioned. The next day I looked online and saw it my be a WiFi issue, so the next time I went I double checked my WiFi connection on both devices.

I deleted the app from the phone and restarted the device, the re-uploaded hoping that might fix something.

I then tried at home, and still nothing. I threw the headphones back in the backpack and just used them with my phone for a couple weeks until that became a problem with timer notifications.

Googled a solution, found this thread, followed the instructions (twice) and still not connecting.

Gerda1

Hi @AndresM,

Followed all the suggested steps like 5 times and still keep getting a message 'Something went wrong, Check your connection and try again'. I also tried with another wifi network but no luck.

OscarDC

Hey @Gerda1,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

We appreciate the troubleshooting you've done so far. However, have you tried contacting Customer Support as suggested by @pr78?

If not, we'd suggest reaching out to our Customer Support and asking them to delete the offline cache stored in your account. Since they can access users accounts, they'll be able to help you further.

Hope this helps. If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask.

OscarDCModerator

ChroMags

@eni @oscardc

Clicked on the Customer Service link provided. They only repeated your solution and said “there is no offline cache” to be deleted. I followed there instructions, which only differed by off-loading from the Storage portion of the iPhone Settings. 

it did not help. And still do not have Apple Watch playback, only iPhone control on Apple Watch screen

is there a specific Customer Support section that I should ask for???

Got very frustrated before, put this issue on the back-burner, returned to it to be absolutely infuriated with Customer Service.

@customerservice @spotifyhelp @helpdesk

ChroMags

@oscardc @eni

I once again (because Customer Support didn’t help) deleted the app from my Watch. Went to my phone and cleared the cache (because that was a Customer Support suggestion, although the seemed to be unclear that it was a device-cache not a user-cache). The went to Storage and offloaded app and deleted app. Logged out of all Spotify, including this forum. Restarted iPhone and waited overnight.

Logged into forum. Added Spotify app but didn’t log in. Restarted iPhone and the logged in to account.

Open Watch and just like before: the lower right icon shows both Watch and Phone for a split second then the Watch disappears!!

This happened before last round of iOS updates and after.

phone = 15.6

watch = 8.7

Since I am logged in, and thus have a registered email, can someone that understands the issue, and can assist, from customer support reach out to me directly instead of me getting a random call-center person like I got yesterday?

By the way, yesterday’s customer support said “I’ll be right back with a solution” then five minutes later said to go into the iPhone File Manager, search for the Spotify folder, open it and delete a file. Definitely not knowing the difference between an iOS operating environment and a Windows desktop environment. Definitely doesn’t inspire confidence in your “help” desk…

ChroMags

I wanted to add to the messages above, this isn’t a “missing function” - it is a function that worked seamlessly for months and then one day just stopped working. 

So I know it isn’t my devices specifically; it is an Spotify update, Apple update, or some other app/device communication compatibility issue.

Suggested posts

Env: prod