Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify on Apple Watch doesn't work anymore

Spotify on Apple Watch doesn't work anymore

Plan: Premium

Device

iPhone 11 and Apple Watch 6 GPS

Operating System

iOS 14.6 watchOS 7.5

I can't change the song, spotify won't even let me connect to my phone (before uninstalling I was able to at least find my phone, now it's empty), can't see the songs, from my likes basically can't do anything on the app. This problem occured last night, before that I was able to listen to music from my watch on my airpods, didn't even need my phone for that. It's clearly an issue from the Spotify app as when I uninstall it, "playing now" from my watch at least lets me change the song...

It seems like nobody else has any problem besides "downloading songs", keep in mind I don't use that feature, be it on my iphone or watch.

I've obviously tried restarting my watch, uninstalled the app a bunch of times, turned off bluetooth on my apple watch, nothing works. Therefore, I conclude an update is in order to fix this, I don't normally keep track if an app updates on my watch, I only use it when I go out and was planning on going to the gym and listen on my watch, seems like the only solution as of right now is to go to Apple Music after like 4 years of using Spotify, that's sad.

75 Replies

Hey there @DreaPopa

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community, and welcome 🙂

We understand where you're coming from. In order to investigate what might be causing this behavior, could you send over a video where we can take a better look at what happens on the watch? 

You can send a link to it, or attach it using the Insert Video option in the post editor. 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I"m having a similar issue. For about three days the Spotify app was working perfectly on my watch for offline usage, after having downloaded a playlist to the watch. Then, starting yesterday, when I select the playlist, instead of seeing the songs appear, it just says "Laura's Apple Watch." I've done the power cycling, etc., and it still won't work. I'm using it exactly the same way I was using it earlier in the week when it was working just fine. Here's a photo of what it looks like.

IMG_2364.JPG

Hey @rckymtn23

Thanks for your message, and welcome!

Just to confirm, have you already tried reinstalling the app on the watch? 

It would also be helpful to know the OS version running on your devices.

Keep us posted. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I tried that once and it didn't work. I'm trying it again, but now I have to re-download the playlist and this time it doesn't want to download . . . 

Hi there @rckymtn23,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Can you let us know which OS version you have on your phone and watch?

It would also be great if you can try with a different internet connection to see if the issue persist?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hello, Same issue for me. I can no longer use the controls on the Apple Watch App. It was working until a few days ago.

Hey @sdalporto66,

Thanks for posting here 🙂

It's a good idea to check if there are any pending updates for both your phone and watch.

You can also give the steps mentioned in this thread a go to check if the issue persists.

In case nothing changes, could you send us a video recording of what you're seeing? We'll look into this further.

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Watch OS 7.5 / Apple watch 6 model A2376

iPhone 12 Pro Max / Software v14.6

Spotify v8.6.42.835

I am having the same issue. It maybe started after the WatchOS 7.5 upgrade?

Spotify used to work perfectly, could use it as a remote to switch songs etc. Stream music from cellular to headphones. Now it doesn't even show the playlists, or see the watch as a device to play music to.

After uninstalling the app on the iphone I can see my playlists, however spotify does not recognize the watch as a devices. I can click on a playlist from my watch and it will play on the phone, but it will not show what is playing on the watch (so I can't switch songs etc.) Spotify home screen on watch just shows: "Name's Apple Watch", and when you click the device button it only shows the iphone name.

Apple music works fine - I will sadly have to switch if this isn't fixed. Spotify is much better but I need to play music on my watch.

Hi there @tenkincountin,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Can you confirm that you followed the steps that's provided in this article? There's some more steps to help thoroughly uninstall the app from your phone so if you haven't, we'd highly suggest it since the steps will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

We also suggest that you reinstall the app on the watch.

Let us know how everything goes.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi, I’m also having this issue where it says “Hope’s Apple Watch”. It started last night and continued this morning. I’ve quit and restarted the app from my watch, restarted my watch and my phone, unpaired and repaired my watch, and last I tried completely uninstalling Spotify from my phone, but now it won’t install to my Apple Watch at all. 

Hi there @Hmhwalk,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community and welcome.

Could you try restarting the watch once again? If it doesn't make any difference, try using a different connection, like another WiFi network or mobile data to see if that does the trick.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

I am having the same problem. I can’t control Spotify remotely from my watch anymore. So frustrating. 

Hey @Jenholdren,

Thanks for posting here.

It's a good idea to give the steps mentioned in this thread a go to see if anything changes.

If nothing changes, could you share with us the following? We'll look into this further.

• Device + OS version
  • Exact Spotify version
  • A video recording of the issue
  • Does the issue occur when you're using, for example, AirPods?

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator

I got it to work! Thanks!

Hi @Jenholdren

Fantastic news! Give us a shout if it starts misbehaving again; we're always here to help.

Have a good one 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Like many other users on this thread I have the same problem. The appte watch simply is not able to control the songs. Only volume works. I started it noticing astound the time when ios15 was launched.  and I did not see Spotify give a proper solution or explanation.  Rebooting my iphone makes it working for some time but that is not a satisfying fix, Spotify! Every other week it simply stops working. I noticed a similar problem with Nike run club, so maybe they run into the same problem?

Please Fix this.

AW 4 with ios 15 here. 

Hey @Heelgut,

Thanks for your post.

Have you tried any of the troubleshooting from this thread, except reinstalling the app?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator

I have and it worked! I completely removed everything from everywhere and then downloaded it again. It’s now working.
Thank you.

Spotify also doesn't work on my Apple Watch (7, cellular). 

This only time it worked (once!) was when I was using the watch as a remote (skipping tracks, adjusting volume) while setting everything up on my phone beforehand. 

90% of the time I open the app on my watch it closes itself immediately after (I would upload of video but 5mb aren't enough). Manually closing the app doesn't change that. 

When I get to start the app every now and then it rarely shows playlist and won't start to play songs.

I already performed a clean reinstall and reinstalled the app several times but that also didn't change a thing. 

As of now the watch app is not working at all no matter if I'm connected to a wifi or if I'm using mobile data.

iPhone 13 Pro on iOS 15.1

Apple Watch 7 Cellular on 8.1 (19R570)

both with no pending updates.

Suggested posts