Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Hey folks, Spotify here!

Just a quick post to let you know we’re in the process of removing Touch Preview, the feature on the iOS app that gives you a sneak peek of a playlist, song, album, or artist before you hit play.

We’ve taken this decision as it currently has a very low engagement rate. We’re committed to offering the best experience on each platform, and we’re actively looking into new possibilities for the long press feature.

The change will take effect with app version 8.4.15, which goes live in the App Store today.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on what long press feature you’d like to see added. Thanks in advance for sharing your feedback!

Top Answer
MattSuda
Spotify Star

If you would like to see Touch Preview come back, you can add your vote to this idea:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/iOS-Discover-Restore-Touch-Preview-on-iOS-App/idi-p/1900370

427 Replies

Still no Touch preview.... Better to start searching for alternative platform guys. I can imagine this stupid decision was certainly made by some smart*ss wannabe manager, not by developers, who spend huge amount of time creating and implementing this useful feature.

Thought so, wasn't expecting it to come back

If you're going to take this away, at least add a new better feature. This makes absolutely no sense

Just reminiscing...

IMG_5153.PNG

Now THIS is all we have. 😞

IMG_5154.PNG

i am considering deleting spotify as this was one of the main features that i really liked and was keeping me on spotify.

Please bring back the feature, it was really awesome.

Bring it back. It's useful

I honestly don't get it. if all that was about licensing then why are previews still available on embedded playlists. On playlists.net for example...

And if you guys really removed this feature because of low engagement: Did you take a closer look at the user group that DID use it? They might have something in common. They are probably creating a lot of own playlists (in contrast to the majority who uses Spotify like a radio). And I'm pretty sure that your recommendation algorithms do get their AI right out of those lists.

Well Spotify, are you insane? You're about to destroy your business model!

Touch preview was seriously the feature that I would boast about to friends using the competitors' streaming services. For my friends who did use Spotify, I made sure to let them know that they were able to preview songs and albums in that way. It's actually ridiculous that you would decide to remove this feature. Using the app feels unnatural now because touch preview had been such an inherint part of the discovery experience.

this is the stupidest thing you have ever did, do you actually think people will keep spotify if they don't knownwhat the songs are like.(especially if they don't have premium) .  it wastes time and doesn't let the people using your app feel what the song is like. please bring this back 

Why would you take away finding that no one asked to be taken away? Bring it back. 

Hey, here is my first post on this forum, but as a spotify user for years, i am extremely sad that you removed this feature which was an amazing thing for user experience. I never posted on this forum and this is the first time i do, and i think you are disappointing a lot of users by removing this feature.

Seriously guys, you should consider bringing it back

If you would like to see Touch Preview come back, you can add your vote to this idea:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/iOS-Discover-Restore-Touch-Preview-on-iOS-App/idi-p/1900...

Please pass along 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/iOS-Discover-Restore-Touch-Preview-on-iOS-App/idi-p/1900...

Please pass along

I'm in the process of deciding between Spotify and Amazon for my music. Touch preview was one of 2 features pulling me toward Spotify instead of Amazon. Taking this away now tilts the decision toward Amazon. Amazon lets me upload local music for streaming or download to any device. Spotify's local music process is very cumbersome and annoying. 

Worst decision ever made spotify, I have considerably stopped trying to look for new music after this tool was disabled. .l. 

I absoltely loved that feature. It's perfect for music deiscovery. Since you make so much content available, the service is all about discovery as smoothly and easily as possible. Touch Preview is a big part of that and it was awesome.

I don't see the logic in removing it, especially if there's nothing to take the place of a long push/hold down. If there was a new function to expose there, I could see the point.

This is very disapointing, I use this feture all the time.  I think most people didn't know about the preview function, I personally told at least 5 people.  This would explain the low engagement rate.  If you were to tell people about this feture then I think a lot of people would use it. 

This decision is absolutely ridiculous. I literally just touted this as an amazing feature to my friend who was considering switching from Apple Music. Why would you remove something when you aren't even replacing that gesture with something else? Totally bogus and disappointing.

Suggested posts