Touch Preview on iOS removal

Solved!

Touch Preview on iOS removal

JackF
Roadie

Hey folks, Spotify here!

Just a quick post to let you know we’re in the process of removing Touch Preview, the feature on the iOS app that gives you a sneak peek of a playlist, song, album, or artist before you hit play.

We’ve taken this decision as it currently has a very low engagement rate. We’re committed to offering the best experience on each platform, and we’re actively looking into new possibilities for the long press feature.

The change will take effect with app version 8.4.15, which goes live in the App Store today.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on what long press feature you’d like to see added. Thanks in advance for sharing your feedback!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution!

MattSuda
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

If you would like to see Touch Preview come back, you can add your vote to this idea:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/iOS-Discover-Restore-Touch-Preview-on-iOS-App/idi-p/1900...

MattSudaRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

MattSuda
Rock Star 24

If you would like to see Touch Preview come back, you can add your vote to this idea:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/iOS-Discover-Restore-Touch-Preview-on-iOS-App/idi-p/1900370

428 Replies

kaneramstead2

Please bring it back guys! Or make it an option in the settings? 

Its something I still miss with all of my heart. 

Image result for crying gif

justinghaynes

Touch preview hasn't returned, but since today's update, where the Spotify app has been given a serious overhaul, you can now hear a sample of tracks by pressing the thumbnail next to the listing. Better than nothing I suppose, at least you can preview tracks. Not sure I'm 100% happy, as looking in "my music" the artists and albums options are not there. 

CamSchnackel
Music Fan

The thumbnail thing doesn’t work for me

Fourkris

Nooooo!!! I am canceling my subscription!!! 

Beckhbhjmb
Casual Listener

Spotify obviously never had any intention of bringing the touch preview back and this was just to get a reaction.

This is thread has been going on for months if they genuinely wanted to see what their users thought, why not listen to them and do something about it earlier on!

Still don’t get the reasoning behind “not many users used this feature” ... So! Market it better then, make more people aware that there is this cool feature that helps you preview songs rather than having to play it and scroll halfway to see if you like the song! :@

LentlTheCreatr

I agree with about everyone here—this was a great feature and, if possible, it should absolutely be pushed back into the app.

kabraxis-luvos

It's been quite some time since you removed this function and to be honest I still miss it pretty much. I often what to check a playlist etc if it fits my current music moot without leaving the list I'm currently listing to. 

So far you didn't release a new feature, so please bring back this function. BTW it is one of the reasons why I choose Spotify before other services and if users don't know the function you should probably tell them about 😊

joshfatal
Music Fan

I used this feature, but to **bleep** with my money, right? Not enough people used it so you deliberately removed it? Spotify is getting worse and worse. No wonder people on android are hacking their app to cut ads. 

Old-Schooler

Unfortunately I only discovered the preview feature just shortly before it disappeared. I sincerely hope to see it return.

Fchineek

I really did enjoy the preview touch and hope it comes back in the future. I used it a lot! Especially when my phone was connected with my Sonos or Bluetooth device it never interrupted my que. So convenient.

hattrick12
Casual Listener

Low engagement? I used it all the time, and I know others who did too. Maybe you didn’t make it very obvious it was there. I bet if you do, more people will learn it’s there and use it. 

Broxin
Casual Listener

Argh... you Spotify You!
this was the only future why i showed it to all my friends that subscribed and everyone LOVED IT!

i think i will unsubscribe with my whole familly and we go to apples service as it interacts with ios better...
either way, its on you! You removed the future why we came to you IN THE FIRST PLACE.

have fun. Was great as it lasted.

pianogirlhmw

without this feature confirming adding the correct song to your playlist is a nightmare. i have to go look the song up on itunes, preview it there then find that version on spotify. without the touch preview i will be switching to apple music, i like spotify as a platform better but it’s just too disruptive removing this feature. it also makes it difficult to try new muisc without being about to sample songs on a album or playlist. 

ObscureName

This is infuriating. Please fire your product manager and bring back touch preview. 

jacksteffen98

Bring it back! Previews are key for playlist building which is what the app is best at. 

KingKQ
Casual Listener

I know this has been discussed numerous times before, but I can't stress the importance of it, as Spotify & C/o keeps ignoring it;

Write proper release notes ffs!

How would You react if <insert developer tool> update is being pushed without proper release notes?

I bet that the majority of people in this thread would have ceased upgrading due to the removal of the Touch Preview function, until it had been reintroduced. Luckily, I had an option to revert to a version that still had Touch Preview.

My thoughts to those who don't.

user-removed
Not applicable
How could you revert???

Antonio089
Music Fan

He reverted probably through an Backup which had the spotify app with touch preview. At least that‘s what i did. Haven‘t updated my spotify app since 

gtrplayrnla
Regular

That's correct, after updating the app I noticed right away that the feature didn't work because like the rest of us here, I used it a lot! So luckily I was able to backup from icloud quickly before another backup would have earased the version I wanted on my iphone. It was worth the headache to revert! Eventually I expect the feature won't work at all after an OS update on my phone. Once that happens then I'm back to Apple Music. I'm 'shocked' Apple doesn't apply a feature similar to this with their Force Touch... These tech companies are so smart that they their brains are completely fried. Take a vacation and rethink your strategies... hint: think common sense, think user freindly... You get paid enough, maybe too much, maybe that's the problem?

ACDC-Fan
Music Fan

I don’t understand why they have left the “Behind the lyrics” feature (who even uses that?) but taken touch preview away. 

There’s no way this was due to low user engagement - more like song licensing or royalties I recon. 

Even though there’s been plenty of votes to have the feature put back in is there actually much chance it will happen? Spotify don’t seem to have much to say about it. 

SUGGESTED POSTS