Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unwanted shuffling - shuffle not selected

Unwanted shuffling - shuffle not selected

On my iPhone SE, If I have a playlist sorted by artist, it will shuffle the music - slightly.  It will for example skip 1 or two songs, then play a few. For example, if I click song 1, it will play songs 1-10 in this order: 1,5,6,7,10,8,9.   I look at the song queue and it will show this weird order of songs. Nothing to do with whether a song is downloaded, or have signal. Because if I select a song that it skipped (2), it will re-arrange to this queue: 2,3,1,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. If I click back to play song 1, it will show the same queue as originally shown, so it's not completely random, eg. there is an odd song queue for each individual song.

This only started happening a couple of months ago, and only on my mobile, not desktop. No, I don't have shuffle on!!

21 Replies

My iphone SE has started playing songs in a 'slightly shuffled' order. A playlist that is sorted by Artist order, will play songs 1-10 for example, if I click on song 1 in this order: 1,5,6,7,10,8,9. Nothign to do with downloaded songs or signal. If I click the queue it will show the songs in that order. then if i click a song that it missed out, eg. 2, the play queue will change to this: 2,3,4,8,5,9,10. Then if I click back to song 1, it will show the original incorrect queue again, as if each song has it's own 'slightly shuffled play queue'. No, shuffle is not on. The playlist has over 300 songs. It has only started within the last couple of weeks, and is fine on desktop.

Hey @coreygun!

Help's here. We've just merged both your posts to avoid confusion, as they're both about the same topic; Let's try and work it out in one place.

We've tried this ourselves and can't seem to recreate. The queue and playlist order are the same when we reorder any playlist, and they play in order when clicking on track 1 or 2 with Shuffle off.

We'd suggest doing a clean reinstallation to ensure that you're on the latest version.

If this is still happening, get back to us with the following info:

• Your iPhone SE's version of iOS
  • Your exact app version

If you could also let us know the answers to the following questions:

• Does this just happen when sorting your playlists by Artists? Does it happen on Title or Recently Added?
  • Could we get some screenshots of how you see the queue and playlist when sorting?
  • Does this happen on any playlist (Spotify-curated and personal)?

Get back to us with the following if the reinstall doesn't improve this 🙂

I created the second post because the first didnt appear, and then spent the last two days not being able to find either, or even see your reply!

Anyway, now that's sorted, I'll try reinstalling it, Below are screenshots showing the playlist order, and then the queue order, so you can see the 'slight shuffling', and you can see that shuffle is definitely not on, I haven't queued my own songs, all songs are downloaded, and even though there is no service in that screenshot, it does also happen when I have full signal.

The first one, showing (1a) a playlist which has 4 Stuck Mojo songs, then 3 songs by The Sword, and then other songs; (if I number them 0-7 starting from the current track), plays (1b) it in this order: 0, 4, 5, 6, and then 2 songs from about 10 tracks further down my playlist.

The second (2a), showing 6 Slayer songs, plays (2b) in this order: 0, 7, 3, 5, 2.  If I click a different track, track 2 for example, keeping their same numbering, it will then change the playlist order (2c) to: 2, 1, -1, 0, 7, 8, 3. So this eliminates it playing only songs that were downloaded, or moving onto the next artist for example, as this also played a song 2 tracks before it in the playlist.

1.jpg
2.jpg

I compared my mobile and desktop playslists side by side (see image below), with both sorted by Artist. They end up different - the desktop sorts by artist, and then groups by album; whereas the mobile - I can't tell. Its a different order, and not alphabetically, or by album, or by added date.

The order my phone plays in, is also not the same as the 'proper' Artist order (grouped by Album) on desktop, so that doesn't help explain it either, in case it was playing the desktop order. That would still be weird though!

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 12.48.21.png

I have just reinstalled the app, and now (when sorted by Artist still) it shows a different playlist order, and the play queue is different, yet again! There seems to be no reasoning or consistency.

I am running v8.4.35.213 (downloaded today) on iPhone SE iOS v11.2.1

3 reinstalled.jpg

And now after restarting my phone and app, I  have gone back to that same song, sorted by Artist, and now that playlist order is different again - nott he same as desktop or how it was earlier, yet the play queue is the same as it was in screenshot 2a

4.PNG

So still not playing in the sorted order on my phone.

And nobody from Spotify seems to want to help fix it either anymore. Thanks Spotify

Spotify dont give a **bleep** if their app works properly or not?

Spotifynot interested in supplying me with somethign that works in return for my money?

Spotify help team - you suck. You didn't suggest anything but " try reistalling it", to no avail.

No further help?

Here is the info you requested, again, but you still haven't offered any more help...

"I have just reinstalled the app, and now (when sorted by Artist still) it shows a different playlist order, and the play queue is different, yet again! There seems to be no reasoning or consistency.

I am running v8.4.35.213 (downloaded today) on iPhone SE iOS v11.2.1"

Hey @coreygun,

Thanks for the info! Sorry for the delay. 

This could be caused by a slight hiccup with your registered offline devices. To solve this, could you log in at https://www.spotify.com/account/offline-devices/ and remove all registered devices with the Remove All Devices button? You'll have to resync all of your tracks for offline listening, but it could solve your issue.

Let us know how it goes. 

@ChrisC I have removed all devices, and then restarted the app and phone, but it still doesn't play the songs in the sorted by artist order.

@ChrisC wrote:

Hey @coreygun,

Thanks for the info! Sorry for the delay. 

This could be caused by a slight hiccup with your registered offline devices. To solve this, could you log in at https://www.spotify.com/account/offline-devices/ and remove all registered devices with the Remove All Devices button? You'll have to resync all of your tracks for offline listening, but it could solve your issue.

Let us know how it goes. 

@Chris I have removed all devices, and then restarted the app and phone, but it still doesn't play the songs in the sorted by artist order.

@ChrisC

How many weeks or months does it take to fix one issue? This doesnt looks good for Spotify customer service..

3 months and no help. Effing useless Spotify.

Why wont anybody from Spotify acknowledge my issue and attempt to fix it, rather than being a bunch of kids who ignore me?

Suggested posts