Very high data usage

Solved!

Re: Very high data usage

JCdotnl
Roadie

@daveb1 Yes it's true! 
Spotify buffers the songs.

Re: Spotify streaming downloaded songs, using a ton of data!

jean3601
Community Legend

Hey @haaszilla, Welcome to the community! :)

We have created an ongoing issues post about your issue here :)

If you could comment with the information requested it would be greatly appreciated :)

Have An Awesome Day! :)

haaszilla
Regular
Hey @jean3601, Thanks for the reply. I don't seem to be having any album art issues though. It all appears correctly for me. My issue is Spotify streaming songs I've already downloaded to the device! Like I mentioned in the post, the data I'm consuming is about 1 mb every 5 seconds, which would not be the album art loading, unless each image was 1 mb each, which would be massive for an image of that size!

kingbeers
I have the same problem since the last update. I already exceeded my data plan this month due to this problem.

I never had this problem before. I could stay Online and play my already downloaded songs offline.

When I go in Offline mode I can luckily still play my downloaded songs and it doesn't consume data, but this needs to be fixed asap.

Not 'just a new font' since the last update I guess...

manelolesa
Casual Listener

I have the same problem :(

haaszilla
Regular
So this is a bug then. This is a HUGE issue for people without unlimited data plans. Luckily I caught what Spotify was doing before I went over my limit, but it looks like some people weren't as fortunate. I feel like Spotify should be financially liable for any overages resulting from this bug in their software. Just my 2 cents. It would be great to get an official response from Spotify. I've sent them a support email, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Re: Has Automatic Stream Quality recently changed how it works?

Swanny
Community Legend
Hi @Craigski, I've been affected by the same issue, the Spotify devs are aware of the issue. It seems the issue is with album art not downloading properly so it's getting stuck downloading it over and over again.

5.3 consumes a lot of data, music offline

manelolesa
Casual Listener
Since the last update when I play music downloaded the application consumes large amounts of data seems to make streaming music although this downloaded.
Thank's
Manel

Re: 5.3 consumes a lot of data, music offline

Garbera
Roadie

Hi Manel

It's a known issue since one of the last updates. Spotify developers are looking into this issue right now.

If you don't want it to use data, put it in offline mode till it's fixed. If you want to be sure Spotify can't use any data when you're on celluar, go to settings --> mobile data and turn Spotify off.

Hope I helped you.

Re: Very high data usage

haaszilla
Regular

Ok so I got an answer back from support on the issue of Spotify, while in online mode, using a ton of data to play offline songs. He said:

"The Spotify application would still stream the tracks you saved and downloaded when your device if online and your Spotify is Online. The Available Offline will only work when your application is Offline."

So if the support guy is right, this behaviour is not a bug, but by design. I guess they decided to change things in the last update. I just can't seem to figure out why they would do something like this. To me it's confusing and to be honest a little deceiving.

But otherwise the app is great, I'll just have to remember to always turn offline mode on when I'm away from wifi. Annoying, but not a dealbreaker.

SUGGESTED POSTS