Very high data usage

Solved!

Re: Very high data usage

Craigski
Roadie

@haaszilla wrote:

Ok so I got an answer back from support on the issue of Spotify, while in online mode, using a ton of data to play offline songs. He said:

"The Spotify application would still stream the tracks you saved and downloaded when your device if online and your Spotify is Online. The Available Offline will only work when your application is Offline."

Well that's certainly not the way it's been working since I signed up over a year ago.

Untli recently I had a very small cap on my phone.  I got around it by syncing tracks when I was at home, which I would then play all day with essentially zero hit on my cellular data.  I've never, ever put Spotify into offline mode.

I increased my data at the start of the year and have been streaming away with no surprises on my data usage.  If anything I was suprised that Spotify used less data than I thought it would.

But I still make heavy use of downloaded playlists because I never bothered turning them off.

Then the last update comes out and suddenly I've used more data in two days than I did in the entire previous month.  And that's with heavy use of downloaded tracks.

Last night while running tests for Spotify support it used up 800MB in under 1 1/2 hours.  That's almost 1/2 what my allocation used to be.

edit: added quote cause I jumped top new page

daveb1
Regular

Okay a new iOS update appeared. Does anyone have the changelog?

Garbera
Roadie
@daveb1
As far as I can see, it's not fixed yet.

daveb1
Regular

Sad... I used another 350MB today with about 30 minutes of streaming.

Garbera
Roadie
@daveb1
It's really weird that an issue like this stays unfixed for a whole week. I can't believe it, there must be so much users out there who don't know about this bug and are gonna end with an incredible high data bill end of this month.

Craigski
Roadie

Nah, it's still using a lot of data for me as well. 

Do you guys have the same issue that I have? 

If I download a playlist when I'm connected to WiFi, it ignores the WiFi and uses cellular for the download?

clesser
Casual Listener
I am having the same issue...my family plan's data cycle reset on the 11th and yesterday, the 18th, we got the text that we had used 75% of our 20 gb plan. The culprit? Me. In audio services. Aka Spotify. 22 days with only 5 gb of data to split between 4 people, 3 of whom are extremely angry with me, and me, very angry that I had NO IDEA this was happening because I have been using Spotify on the same settings since I got this phone in 2014. To make this even better, I have to pay for any overages on the bill, and I'm in a financial hole right now and don't have the extra cash, so my phone is a very expensive paperweight until May 11th. Safe to say I am fuming about it.

haaszilla
Regular

@clesser wrote:
I am having the same issue...my family plan's data cycle reset on the 11th and yesterday, the 18th, we got the text that we had used 75% of our 20 gb plan. The culprit? Me. In audio services. Aka Spotify. 22 days with only 5 gb of data to split between 4 people, 3 of whom are extremely angry with me, and me, very angry that I had NO IDEA this was happening because I have been using Spotify on the same settings since I got this phone in 2014. To make this even better, I have to pay for any overages on the bill, and I'm in a financial hole right now and don't have the extra cash, so my phone is a very expensive paperweight until May 11th. Safe to say I am fuming about it.

Supposedly this is not a bug, but by design. This is what  Spotify Support told me directly:

"The Spotify application would still stream the tracks you saved and downloaded when your device if online and your Spotify is Online. The Available Offline will only work when your application is Offline."

So if the support guy is right then they decided to change the way Spotfy deals with Offline songs in the latest version. 

I think whats more likely though is that the support guy didn't want to admit it was a bug so he just told me that. I think this because it took 5 different emails back and forth of me asking the same question to get an straight answer from him. He kept trying to dodge around the question for some reason. Very strange behaviour to be honest.

clesser
Casual Listener
You'd think they'd tell us that...

cedge
Casual Listener

I just realised that this issue has caused £5+ worth of credit to be used up on my PAYG phone in the last 2 days (normally this amount lasts me a good month) since the last ios/spotify update.  I reset my data statistics then realised that Spotify had unknowingly used a further 50mb despite the option to only use WiFi for downloads selected in less than 10 minutes!

This issue/bug what ever you call it needs to get fixed ASAP and those affected like myself reasonable compensated as this situation is unacceptable.

SUGGESTED POSTS