Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

When does an app version become unsupported?

When does an app version become unsupported?

Ipad 6th GenerationIOS 14.8.1 Spotify version: 8.6.84
Dec 1, 2021

Hello community put simply, I was just wondering when an actual Spotify version becomes unsupported on the App Store? 

Does the user get a notification informing them that XXX version will no longer be supported soon. As an example What's App does this.

I tend to update apps manually, due to sometimes accessibility breaking things. Right now, I'm happy with where I am at with my Spotify Ipad and Iphone versions. However, if when they become unsupported, how will I know? 

I look forward to hearing from the community about this.

Regards to one and all. 

2 Replies

Hey @danielmcgee, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Currently Spotify does not directly let you know that that app version is not supported anymore to play songs. You will most likely always be able to, like my really old devices with iOS 9 that still can use the app.

You won't be able to however get and use new features introduced in the future and even updates altogether when there's new features and changes that rely on the next iOS upgrade.

To see if your device is still supported for updates check this support article. Alternatively you can open the Spotify's page on App Store and it will say on top of the page if the app requires a higher iOS version than what you currently have installed.

Hope it helps 🙂

Hello @Loxer 

What you say makes logical sense. However, how does one know "what's new" when the release notes always say: Version 8.7.40
We’re always making changes and improvements to Spotify. To make sure you don’t miss a thing, just keep your Updates turned on.

So, how does one know what's new in the release, if there are no release notes telling the user, front and center, this is what's improved when you update to the latest version.

Suggested posts