Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Where's my Airplay icon?

Solved!

Where's my Airplay icon?

In short,

I've got 2 ipads, 2 iphones, I'm a premium spotify subscriber, I can use the native apple Remote app to stream music from either ios device to either my laptop or to my Denon 3312 Amplifier (which supports Airplay) via Airplay.

However, I have not once seen the Airplay icon from any ios device using the spotify app. I've tried turning all of the apple devices off but one to elimiante interference.

I've shut everything down multiple times and upgraded all software to the latest version.

What's really annoying is that it works perfecty via the native iphone Remote app.

Any suggestions would be very grateful.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Play your Spotify music in the spotify app.
Double click the home button on the idevice.
Scroll al the way left to where the volume slider is displayed.
Tap the AirPlay icon.
Hey presto, spotify on AirPlay.

By the way, the latest iPad app also has AirPlay built in. Tap the album art of the song playing.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Quick update if anyone is following this... Feel a little embarrassed as it turns out not much was wrong other than a lot of conflicting devices... I chose to turn everything off completely and try Turing on in a clear sequence to work out the source of the problem. Anyway, the long and short of it is that my laptop which was on with iTunes. It seems to be that was conflicting with all the devices and I had thought at one point iTunes was needed for AirPlay to work. Apparently not... Anyhow... I can't tell you how pleased this has made me feel. I am now totally in love with the iPad app... Thanks ....

Marked as solution

It's incorrect to say 'double tap album art'. first of all make sure you have the latest version of spotify and iOS. Then...

1) play a song on your iPad
2) tap the 'expand art' icon next to the album art.
3) you should see the airplay icon, below the song progress bar.

OR

1) play a song on your iPhone.
2) Go to 'now playing' and tap the 'i' info icon in the top left.
3) you should see the airplay icon, to the right of the the volume bar.

If you dont have these icons you have a more complex network issue.

Marked as solution

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2663005?start=0&tstart=0

It's not possible on the 1st gen Apple TVs. See the above thread. This isn't a Spotify app issue. It's an Apple issue known since 2010.

Marked as solution

Hey there folks,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

If you're having troubles using AirPlay on your speakers or sound systems, we'd suggest taking a look at this support site article.

If the suggestions provided there don't do the trick, make sure to let us know by starting a new thread in the related Help Board and we'll be happy lend a hand there.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

46 Replies

I don't see it either.

Marked as solution

Play your Spotify music in the spotify app.
Double click the home button on the idevice.
Scroll al the way left to where the volume slider is displayed.
Tap the AirPlay icon.
Hey presto, spotify on AirPlay.

By the way, the latest iPad app also has AirPlay built in. Tap the album art of the song playing.

Yeah, I found it finally in the iPad app.  Having to tap the album art and expand it to full screen mode to get to the Airplay icon isn't very intuitive. 

I've tried looking for it through the double tap on the iPhone and via album art on iPad but to no avail.

Last night I also switched the router off and on plus rebooted it a few times.

You need to have your Denon AirPlay device on.
Your iDevice needs to be running iOS5.1 and be on the same wireless network as the Denon.
Tell me what happens when you d-click on the home button. You are seeing all the running apps, correct?

Thanks for the prompt reply Hansholz...

The Denon Amp is on, it is on the same network but the amp is not wireless as its connected via Cat5 cable.

Like I say though it works via the native iPhone app ok.

When I double click I see all recently loaded apps and if I swipe to te left I see volume controls but no AirPlay icon.

Thanks

Ok so it is definitely not a Spotify problem. AirPlay icons will display only when the idevice sees an AirPlay speaker on the network. You say you are connected via Ethernet between the router and the Denon? Can you see the Denon on your network from a pc? If not then that's a bigger problem that I'm not equipped to help you with.

Why not try using the Denon wirelessly anyway? I read that airplay prefers networks with the wireless encryption set to WPA/WPA2 rather than WEP.

Oh but you say it works using regular Remote app. Sorry I didn't see that part. Wow that's weird. I can't explain it. I just checked my own Spotify on my iPhone 0.5.0 and not all my airplay devices are on there!! I have an apple tv which doesn't show... However the airport express is showing! This is a more complicated problem. We seem to be suffering the same issue!

Ok another update... This is more weird. My iPhone 3GS that has no spotify installed on it can see all my airplay devices. Has the upgrade to 0.5.0 broken AirPlay from the device?

Update 2: no it hasn't ... Rebooting the iPhone fixed it. All AirPlay devices present and correct. Try that.

I've certainly rebooted my iPad and iPhone in the past day or so. Last night I tried the iPad specifically ensuring all other iOS devices were off.

The Denon amp cannot be used wirelessly but like I've said works every time with iPhone remote app.

This is going to drive me slightly mad. I also updated the latest firmware on the amp to be sure and the latest version of iTunes.

I'm thinking it must be a firewall or router problem but it's getting out of my depth. Will turn off all virus and firewalls temporarily on the laptop when I return from work to see what that does.

Any other suggestions?

I assume you get no joy with other apps that use AirPlay like YouTube? Is DHCP turned on on the router? This allows dynamic IP addresses to be assigned. I would turn everything off and reboot in order waiting each time for things to fully come back to working state before turning on the next device.. Modem>Router>Denon>iPhone

Yes, DHCP Is turned on and was thinking of trying to work out how to assign a static ip address to the Amp as another forum had recommended something similar.

I'll try the switch off too. Fingers crossed. I'll also try YouTube as didn't think of that.
Marked as solution

Quick update if anyone is following this... Feel a little embarrassed as it turns out not much was wrong other than a lot of conflicting devices... I chose to turn everything off completely and try Turing on in a clear sequence to work out the source of the problem. Anyway, the long and short of it is that my laptop which was on with iTunes. It seems to be that was conflicting with all the devices and I had thought at one point iTunes was needed for AirPlay to work. Apparently not... Anyhow... I can't tell you how pleased this has made me feel. I am now totally in love with the iPad app... Thanks ....

Finally got this.... Not intuitive really .... Even after reading this thread i struggled to work out what. I didnt see the airplay icon in the mini popup when you toych the song playing album art... As someone else said it needs the full page artwork pucture up... 

Loving the app but make this easier pkease?

Can you be more specific, I have the same problem but cant get it to work

I'm confused still as well. I have an Iphone 4 and an Ipad and have no problem contecting to my apple tv via either. I do not get an airplay icon on either device even when douple tapping the album art. One of the main reasons I signed up for a premium account was to be able to stream to my apple tv and my stereo system. Getting frustrated as I've spent over an hour trying to figure it out. 

Marked as solution

It's incorrect to say 'double tap album art'. first of all make sure you have the latest version of spotify and iOS. Then...

1) play a song on your iPad
2) tap the 'expand art' icon next to the album art.
3) you should see the airplay icon, below the song progress bar.

OR

1) play a song on your iPhone.
2) Go to 'now playing' and tap the 'i' info icon in the top left.
3) you should see the airplay icon, to the right of the the volume bar.

If you dont have these icons you have a more complex network issue.

In my instance it was an issue with having my laptop with itunes running on and I believe this was conflicting with my amplifier.

I've also experienced a problem if I switch iOS devices playing Spotify using AirPlay. For example. Switching from an iPad to an iPhone. However, this is usually resolved by switching off the amplifier so that it refreshes itself.

If in doubt, switch everything off and turn on just one AirPlay device at a time. Worked for me and I buggared around for ages.

Suggested posts