Where's my Airplay icon?

Solved!
Highlighted

Where's my Airplay icon?

hinezee
Music Fan

In short,

I've got 2 ipads, 2 iphones, I'm a premium spotify subscriber, I can use the native apple Remote app to stream music from either ios device to either my laptop or to my Denon 3312 Amplifier (which supports Airplay) via Airplay.

However, I have not once seen the Airplay icon from any ios device using the spotify app. I've tried turning all of the apple devices off but one to elimiante interference.

I've shut everything down multiple times and upgraded all software to the latest version.

What's really annoying is that it works perfecty via the native iphone Remote app.

Any suggestions would be very grateful.

5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Where's my Airplay icon?

Hansholz
Gig Goer
Play your Spotify music in the spotify app.
Double click the home button on the idevice.
Scroll al the way left to where the volume slider is displayed.
Tap the AirPlay icon.
Hey presto, spotify on AirPlay.

By the way, the latest iPad app also has AirPlay built in. Tap the album art of the song playing.
Solution!

hinezee
Music Fan
Quick update if anyone is following this... Feel a little embarrassed as it turns out not much was wrong other than a lot of conflicting devices... I chose to turn everything off completely and try Turing on in a clear sequence to work out the source of the problem. Anyway, the long and short of it is that my laptop which was on with iTunes. It seems to be that was conflicting with all the devices and I had thought at one point iTunes was needed for AirPlay to work. Apparently not... Anyhow... I can't tell you how pleased this has made me feel. I am now totally in love with the iPad app... Thanks ....
Solution!

Hansholz
Gig Goer
It's incorrect to say 'double tap album art'. first of all make sure you have the latest version of spotify and iOS. Then...

1) play a song on your iPad
2) tap the 'expand art' icon next to the album art.
3) you should see the airplay icon, below the song progress bar.

OR

1) play a song on your iPhone.
2) Go to 'now playing' and tap the 'i' info icon in the top left.
3) you should see the airplay icon, to the right of the the volume bar.

If you dont have these icons you have a more complex network issue.
Solution!

Hansholz
Gig Goer

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2663005?start=0&tstart=0

It's not possible on the 1st gen Apple TVs. See the above thread. This isn't a Spotify app issue. It's an Apple issue known since 2010.

Solution!

Hey there folks,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

If you're having troubles using AirPlay on your speakers or sound systems, we'd suggest taking a look at this support site article.

If the suggestions provided there don't do the trick, make sure to let us know by starting a new thread in the related Help Board and we'll be happy lend a hand there.

Have a lovely day :)

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain
46 Replies

chriscook04
Casual Listener

I don't see it either.

Solution!

Hansholz
Gig Goer
Play your Spotify music in the spotify app.
Double click the home button on the idevice.
Scroll al the way left to where the volume slider is displayed.
Tap the AirPlay icon.
Hey presto, spotify on AirPlay.

By the way, the latest iPad app also has AirPlay built in. Tap the album art of the song playing.

chriscook04
Casual Listener

Yeah, I found it finally in the iPad app.  Having to tap the album art and expand it to full screen mode to get to the Airplay icon isn't very intuitive. 

hinezee
Music Fan
I've tried looking for it through the double tap on the iPhone and via album art on iPad but to no avail.

Last night I also switched the router off and on plus rebooted it a few times.

Hansholz
Gig Goer
You need to have your Denon AirPlay device on.
Your iDevice needs to be running iOS5.1 and be on the same wireless network as the Denon.
Tell me what happens when you d-click on the home button. You are seeing all the running apps, correct?

hinezee
Music Fan
Thanks for the prompt reply Hansholz...

The Denon Amp is on, it is on the same network but the amp is not wireless as its connected via Cat5 cable.

Like I say though it works via the native iPhone app ok.

When I double click I see all recently loaded apps and if I swipe to te left I see volume controls but no AirPlay icon.

Thanks

Hansholz
Gig Goer
Ok so it is definitely not a Spotify problem. AirPlay icons will display only when the idevice sees an AirPlay speaker on the network. You say you are connected via Ethernet between the router and the Denon? Can you see the Denon on your network from a pc? If not then that's a bigger problem that I'm not equipped to help you with.

Why not try using the Denon wirelessly anyway? I read that airplay prefers networks with the wireless encryption set to WPA/WPA2 rather than WEP.

Hansholz
Gig Goer
Oh but you say it works using regular Remote app. Sorry I didn't see that part. Wow that's weird. I can't explain it. I just checked my own Spotify on my iPhone 0.5.0 and not all my airplay devices are on there!! I have an apple tv which doesn't show... However the airport express is showing! This is a more complicated problem. We seem to be suffering the same issue!

Hansholz
Gig Goer
Ok another update... This is more weird. My iPhone 3GS that has no spotify installed on it can see all my airplay devices. Has the upgrade to 0.5.0 broken AirPlay from the device?
SUGGESTED POSTS