Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 12 pro

Operating System

iOS 14

My Question or Issue

My iMessage extension completely stopped working I’ve tried uninstalling it through I messages and it won’t it’ll just hide itself I’ve tried uninstalling the regular app and it won’t take it off and even when it says it’s installing it won’t show up 

C6E55766-272A-4611-AFCE-AEE1CFC92B86.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

It looks like Spotify has discontinued their iMessage app.

There is currently an idea here to vote for if you would like to see it brought back:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/iOS-Other-iMessage-extension/idi-p/5146524

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hey @Yolobro67, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Could you try a clean reinstall of the app following these steps, and then restart the iPhone? 

Let me know how this goes!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Marked as solution

It looks like Spotify has discontinued their iMessage app.

There is currently an idea here to vote for if you would like to see it brought back:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/iOS-Other-iMessage-extension/idi-p/5146524

MattSudaSpotify Star

See my post regarding this.

Spotify removed the iMssage widget on January 22nd, there have been 4 updates since then where it has not been packed back into the app so they don’t want that functionality on Apple Devices.

Because I isolated the actual update that removed it- (I incrementally installed successive older releases untill the widget showed up again) so they finally admitted they removed it. Now they’ve closed any discussion about it and point you to a ‘request new feature’ post where they claim it would be a new feature and if enough people request it they may introduce it.

Don’t hold your breath though, I suggested multi device streaming with your friends back in 2015 and there wasn’t enough people interested but have recently introduced it. Deezer does still have an iMesssge widget.

Hey there @futureblast,

Thank you for your post and feedback.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and constantly aiming to improve our features. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify like you wish to do at the moment.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help with anything else. We're always one reply away.

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

This is not an acceptable answer; what other successful features are you talking about that have been removed? Can you give me an example please? The coding still works on iOS 14.5 so why would it be removed? Even apps like Etsy and Twitch have iMessage widgets that have no functionality apart from containing ‘stickers’ to promote their service.
There’s more to this than ‘adding and removing’ ideas. It was a fully functional useful widget thst loads of people used and helped promote Spotify. If I sent a friend a song using the widget and they didn’t have Spotify it was an incentive for them to install it so what gives? You remove functionality to reduce the promotion of your app?
I don’t but it, this is politics, a petty dig at Apple because of iTunes? Your answer is not acceptable, paying customers keep your company afloat, ppl with Family subscriptions more so. Should we expect the withdrawal of Family subs at some point in the future? Or how about suddenly cancelling Spotify Connect on a whim because you love to shake it up.
Come on, know you’ve finally admitted to withdrawing the widget why not tell your psyomg customers the real reasoning behind it? Or maybe as it an exec having a bad Monday morning upset at iTune v Spotify subscription numbers so thought withdrawing the widget might have a very minor impact on iPhone functionality?
It’s petty, the code is intact and working and probably took more man hours to remove than carry over in an update.
Your answer still holds no water, if it’s a coding issue or incompatibility with iOS 14.4 and above then find out and tell us because there’s a lot of unhappy customers here that deserve the respect to be given a proper answer as to why it was removed. I’m telling ya, Deezer is coming for the English speaking market and while they’re adding functionality and charging less for it Spotify is removing functionality, charging more and showing disrespect to its paying customers.
You guys are going to get hit with a hurricane and you don’t seem to be doing much on the value added front to prepare for it.

Spotify removed the functionality, how would a clean install fix it, the only way to get it working is to downgrade to the earlier version hate still had the iMessage widget included in the app.

Suggested posts