Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iOS Sync Issues After April 7 update

iOS Sync Issues After April 7 update

I have small assortment of about 30 songs on my desktop PC that I like to have on a playlist in Spotify for band practice. I've never had any issues syncing them onto my phone and my iPad until today.

I noticed one small difference between the old sync instructions and the new sync instructions.

The only ones said to physically connect your mobile device to the actual computer where the songs were stored. I'd hook my phone up via the USB cab;e and it would dump the songs onto my mobile Spotify no problem.

Now the instructions say to connect your mobile to the same WiFi as the computer where the files are stored. Only problem is, this desktop is hardwared via ethernet cable to the network and not via WiFi, so I'm wondering if that's why it's not syncing? I have no way to connect it via WiFi. Is this a glitch that was incurred in the recent update?

4 Replies

Hey @Tobraham

Sorry for the late reply.

https://support.spotify.com/article/Listen-to-local-files/

The old instructions mentioned USB if you were transferring local MP3 files from your computer to an old iPod.

The newer Spotify desktop app no longer supports syncing loca files to older iPods because iTunes has the same functionality. Spotify now only supports devices that can download the Spotify app.

To transfer local files to the iOS app, it has always required WiFi. So your desktop not having WiFi is probably why it is not syncing. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Well, I tried a different approach and it's still not working.

I dumped my files into a Google Drive on my desktop PC. Then on my laptop I set my Google Drive as a local folder to be accessed by Spotify. It played fine on the laptop. Then I opened my phone and tried to sync. Nothing. It just says 'waiting to download'.

Never had any syncing issues until the most recent update. I'd say I'm a power user so I've been doing this awhile with no issues.

Hmmmm... that's weird. I'm not sure what else you can try.

The hardest iOS problem to solve seems to be when sync is not working right. The cause of the problem seems to be different for each person I try to help. It's hard to pinpoint what the root cause is. It's frustrating for me because every time I try to sync, it just works, and then there are posts from people who do the same thing and it doesn't work.

Hopefully Spotify can improve the process becasue it's a problem that gets posted to the community a lot.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

There's got to be a fix. I've been a premium user for years and never had a problem until this last update and it won't sync on any of my devices, where previously I've been able to sync with zero issues on up to 5 different devices (not simultaneously, of course). Now I can't get a single device to sync.

Suggested posts