Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iOS update 0.5.8 crashes constantly on iPad

Solved!

iOS update 0.5.8 crashes constantly on iPad

Update: iOS update 0.5.9 has fixed the stability issues. Please update now and test it out.

The new iOS 0.5.8 update has killed the iPad app. Even after reinstall it constantly crashes. What's going on?

I'm running iOS 6.0.1 on the 4th generation iPad. 

Spotify can't seem to get their act together...

New update also kills the people tab on the iPad.

When clicking on the people tab, friends are shown for a few seconds and then the list disappears.

This happens on every re-launch. There is no way to get the people list to show for more than 3 seconds.

Also after clicking on settings and clicking on a settings menu on the iPad, the settings back arrow is cut off at the top.

My music experience has been ruined by these bugs.

UPDATE: 

I was able to use the app for a while -- notice the other bugs I found --  and after downloading playlists for offline use, the app started crashing.

Looks like downloading any playlist for offline use will constantly crash the app until you reinstall the app.

The most used feature on the iPad app constantly crashes the app?

What...? Updates need more testing before going live.

I would be happy to help test future updates.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
236 Replies

Not even a reply to say they're working on it. Poor. Time to investigate alternatives to Spotify.

Hello there,

We are still working on this (last update on friday:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-iOS-iPhone-iPad-iPod/iOS-update-0-5-8-crashes-constantly-on-i... )

The iOS team is fixing it and we will bring you all news as soon as we can.

Thanks for being patience.

We are very sorry for all these inconveniences.  

-----------------------------

Rocio

Community Manager

Use the "Accept as solution" button if your problem has been solved 🙂

♬Music is life♬

Thanks for the update, Rocio. 😃

MattSudaSpotify Star

What about any kinda of refund... I'm paying £10 a month to have access to an app that doesn't work! 

Do you have any sort of time scale that there might be a fix? (Baring in mind how long it takes to get updates approved through Apple!)

Hi, same problem here. Spotify 0.58.73 and iPad1 with IOS5.1.1 (3G/64 GB)

Spotify crashes every time, when I am scrolling my playlists. After re-installation and re-inlogging to Spotify, all offlne track are gone, but App s working normally. Crashing starts, when I am syncing offline playlists. App crashes during the sync approx. after downloading 10 tracks. 

Installed Spotify for IOS4, works fine.

I really can't believe some of you, asking for refunds? They are working to fix it, they didn't do this to you on purpose. When your car breaks down do you ask the dealership for a refund? It's $10 a month for soooo much music, you would be paying way more than that without spotify. So stay calm, stuff happens. 

There is no excuse for extremely poor quality assurance and testing.... None. If it takes a refund to get the software fixed - then so be it.

@Chips wrote:

I really can't believe some of you, asking for refunds? They are working to fix it, they didn't do this to you on purpose. When your car breaks down do you ask the dealership for a refund? It's $10 a month for soooo much music, you would be paying way more than that without spotify. So stay calm, stuff happens. 

You're kidding, right?

This isn't a charity, it doesn't matter for a second whether or not it was done "on purpose". They are providing a service, charging money for it, and then not delivering. Whether or not it's good value is utterly irrelevant.

The car analogy is so completely incompatible I can't even begin to comprehend how you thought it was valid.

I just think you guys asking for a refund are a bunch whiners that's all. It will get fixed, then you can go on paying a low amount of money for a lot of music. 

So what you're saying is you don't actually have a logical leg to stand on, but you like calling people whiners anyway?

Yes, please stop crying about the money and stop polluting this topic. Wait for the update and if you don't like it just stop paying your money to Spotify and buy some cd's.

Show me exactly where I was crying? Or even where I mentioned money at all other than in response to some 12 year old's assertion that "you're all a bunch of whiners"?

The topic is about the fact the app crashes. People are pissed off about that. Some of those people want their money back, and they have every right to do so.

I honestly couldn't give a darn about a refund or not, it's more about the statement. 

Exactly as someone said, we are paying for a service (that's £10 x a lot of customer = a lot of money) that doesn't work. If it doesn't work for more than 50% of the time period we pay for then I don't see why we shouldn't receive a refund!

While I understand and an fully sympathetic with the fact that we all make mistakes I DON'T understand why the app wasn't fully tested to the nth degree on a range of iPads and thSS issue not identified and fixed prior to its release!

Fix the issues and the so-called "whining" goes away. Don't fix them now, and refund the money. It's not a difficult concept to grasp, is it? Possibly, it is for some people who really don't care what they spend their money on. Maybe it's not theirs, just mommy and daddy's.

There is actually a very workable temoprary fix - using "spotify for iOS4" which is available from the app store.

I tried loading ios4...doesn't sync with my Mac...grrrr..sure hope this problem is fixed very quickly..it's just unusable now. 

Spoiler

Hi

I also have this problem with 0.5.8 on an iPhone 4S with iOS 6.0.1. Get get around the problem I have installed Spotify iOS 4 which works fine.

LB

Marked as solution

iOS update 0.5.9 has fixed the stability issues. Please update now and test it out. The update is rolling out today.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Don't get excited. I'm here because having updated iPhone 4 and Ipad 3 to 0.5.9 now both of them crash completely within 30 seconds of playing a track.

Seems to work for me so far after 0.5.9.

Suggested posts