Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iPhone] App keeps crashing

[iPhone] App keeps crashing

Plan

Premium

Country

United Kingdom

Device

(iPhone X)

Operating System

(iOS 15.2.1)

My Question or Issue

Whenever I open the spotify app on my iphone, it crashes within seconds of opening if my phone is connected to the internet or set to online but it works fine if I turn wifi off or set spotify to offline. I tried the quick and clean reinstall of the app multiple times as well as logging out and logging in again but none of them worked and I don't know what to do.

26 Replies

Hey @_doz_

Thanks for bringing this out to the Community. We'll be glad to help you out here.

As you mentioned that you already perform a clean reinstall on your phone, make sure you’ve followed these steps. If not, try it again but following the steps mentioned.

If the issue persists, make sure no battery optimization settings or data cleaning apps run active on your iPhone. Those features can often prevent the app from operating at full capacity.

Also, check your app settings to see if all Permissions are enabled for Spotify.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

JulianModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Plan

Premium

Country

United Kingdom

Device

(iPhone XS)

Operating System

(iOS 15.2.1)

I am having a similar crashing problem. Song will play for 15 seconds and then app will crash every time. I have tried resetting the app and phone as well

Hey @roanurquhart,

Thanks for posting here.

Just to double-check-are there any changes after trying the steps @Julian mentioned?

As @Doty48 mentioned  it's a good idea to check if you're using the latest app version.

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Having same issue (has been happening for over a week now). App crashes seconds into opening.

This happens both offline and online. Have tried clean reinstalling several times but no luck. My app and my phone are fully up to date and I have no battery optimisation settings etc.  

Both the app and my phone are up to date and I don't have any battery optimization settings and the app has all permissions but it still crashes when I turn the app online 

Hey folks,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

If the app keeps crashing after the clean reinstall suggested before, you can try turning off background app refresh. You can do that by going to Device Settings > General > Background App Refresh > Turn it off.

Also, check if it happens with a different WiFi connection or mobile data.

We'll be on the lookout for your next response.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Sometimes when your iPhone is low on storage, it can cause the Spotify app to crash. Spotify consumes a good amount of storage space for storing songs in the database. If the memory is full, then the app would crash. Spotify app keeps updating from time to time for any bugs and glitches. Also Network problems, software bugs, and faulty updates are just among the many factors that can trigger Spotify to stop working or crash unexpectedly.

[Moderator edit]

I have been dealing with this for a year now, it only crashes on the phone app, everyone in our family has the same issue when we are connected to the home wifi network and opem the app on an iphone the app crashes.  we even changed the entire wifi router to a new brand and it is still happening.  this does not happen with apple music, or prime music, we prefer spotify but not if it doesnt work.  the app works fine if we are go disconnect from our home wifi.  we also use the dennon heos system. which aslo works with the other music apps

we have tried all the updates, hard reset ect......

Hey folks,

Thank you for keeping in contact. 

To continue investigating these cases, would you mind checking if this happens when using a different device or the Web Player

Also, include in your next response the make, model and OS version of your device, along with the Spotify version you're currently running. This will give us a better look at the issue.

We'll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator

This is happening to me as well. App deleted and updated. Phone (iPhone SE, iOS 16) up to date. Logged out and in multiple times. Cache cleared, no downloads. App won’t stay open more than 10 seconds.

Hey there @Mm189

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

You mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind trying again by following these specific steps? 

If this doesn't do the trick, we suggest that you make sure that Background app refresh is enabled on your phone. You can check how to do so here

Also, we'd like to know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update either of the OS of your phone or Spotify. 

Keep us posted. 

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

This has been happening, I believe since version 8.8.0 for me. Still happening in 8.8.4.

I should correct this—it crashes when changing the phone orientation and then my position in the media I am listening is lost upon reopening.

Hey @selrahk,

Thanks for reaching out.

Can you please try the troubleshooting steps posted above and provide the requested info, so we can investigate further?

Keep us posted.

MihailYModerator

These are the steps I followed when reinstalling yesterday. Background app refresh has been on since before this started. This started after an update of the Spotify app to the versions in my original message.

Hi there @selrahk

Thanks for your reply. 

Could you check if the same happens while using a different internet connection?

On another note, would you mind sending us a short screen recording of the issue happening so we can take a closer look? You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also upload it to Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to see it).

We'll be waiting for your reply.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I've attached 2 screen recordings--one on 5g and one on wifi. This happens on multiple podcasts with video.

Hey @selrahk,

Thank you for the replies and the recordings prepared.

We were unable to reproduce this behavior with our test devices. This is why we were wondering if this may be somehow related and if it is possible that you're running not the latest iOS version on your iPhone. Could you check if that's the case and update it? Does the behavior persist?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator

I’m using iOS 15.6.1.

I have only seen this behavior in the Spotify app.

I may not update to iOS 16 for a while. Can I suggest you try to reproduce in the iOS simulator with v15?

Suggested posts