Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPhone Push Notification spam

Solved!

iPhone Push Notification spam

I'm all about ad supported media and wanted to give Spotify a chance in that department, but the ads were terrible and should be context sensitive.  Do you really think I want an ad for Justin Beiber's new album in the middle of my Thrash Metal playlist?  Bieber's people probably don't appreciate such mis-targeted advertising either...

But, I digress.  I went ahead and signed up for the $9.99/month plan, both to stop the ads and to listen to music on planes.

You just sent me an ad via push notification, advertising a "world exclusive" song by some band I've never heard of called CAZZETTE.  Look Spotify, I'm paying you $9.99, and shouldn't have to put up with this kind of crap.

Yes, I'm going to disable push notifications now, but you really really shouldn't have sent them in the first place.  We'll see if I still want to keep paying y'all after my flight home tonight...

P.S. I just googled this song and it sucks.  How is the song a "world exclusive" to Spotify anyhow, if the video is on YouTube?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I disabled Spotifys push notifcations and I still get unrelated spam from them for i.e  "NEW RELEASE OF CHER ALBUM".

This happens too many times each day.  It shows up in the notifcation center, and it a complete waste of time to read/acknoledge/dismiss on IOS.

Honestly, I am considering canceling my membership, because I DONT INTEND TO PAY FOR SPAM.

*** I thought paying for an AD FREE MEMBERSHIP,  would include NO ADS.***

Spotify should be ashamed, They're going to lose a large customer base to make a quick buck.

Attachment Related.

View solution in original post

1383257848155.jpg
8 Replies

Took the words out of my mouth.

I just got this as well, and I am also a paying customer, this is outrageous.

I have completely disabled push notifications for Spotify on my Phone.

I'm pretty sure this is a violation of apple's terms of service for their push notifications service.

https://developer.apple.com/appstore/resources/approval/guidelines.html 

5.5 Apps that use Push Notifications to send unsolicited messages, or for the purpose of phishing or spamming will be rejected

I lodged a complaint with apple support here, I chose : http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/

iTunes Store / Other iTunes Store Topics / Quality of purchase content.

If someone knows of a better channel to complain via please let me know.

https://twitter.com/rycarus/status/309015101959200769

I'm going to **bleep** for awhile on Twitter with the hash tag #spamify

I don't mind the promotion in the What's New tag.  I like seeing it there.  Getting push notifications on my phone for a "playlist" is unacceptable.  I've paid for Premium for well over a year now, and I'm a big advocate for Spotify.  I love Spotify, and I would truly hate to have to cancel.

Also I just want to say in advance that you guys better not mess with my playlists.  No adding new spammy ones, no showing tracks I didn't add in the middle of them, etc.  I don't mind links inside the What's New section that create playlists, or putting a "Promoted" playlist folder in the Main section would be great too.

Do you or do you not have the option to disable push notifications? Then it's on you, you have them enabled so you're not saying no to notifications about new music and album releases.

That's not the point. You are PAYING for an ad-free service. Either via notifications or interjected audio, this is an AD.

What if I want to be notified of my friends joining my playlists? That's a correct use for notifications, one that adds value and does not hamper the user experience. And if this feature is annoying me too much, *then* I can disable notifications.

I correct myself. It's not bad faith, just incompetence and more social crap.

Hi,

Have you gone to the follow tab on Spotify desktop the click on 'following' in the top right, and made sure you're not following these artists who are popping up? Spotify seemed to manage to add 25 random artists to who I follow when I updated with the follow feature.

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

Yup. That's what happened. Another imbecile social feature that I haven't asked for, and with the net effect of appearing as spam.

Instead of figuring out why the play hiccups on iPhone, they add **bleep**.

We'd better go back to rip MP3s...

Marked as solution

I disabled Spotifys push notifcations and I still get unrelated spam from them for i.e  "NEW RELEASE OF CHER ALBUM".

This happens too many times each day.  It shows up in the notifcation center, and it a complete waste of time to read/acknoledge/dismiss on IOS.

Honestly, I am considering canceling my membership, because I DONT INTEND TO PAY FOR SPAM.

*** I thought paying for an AD FREE MEMBERSHIP,  would include NO ADS.***

Spotify should be ashamed, They're going to lose a large customer base to make a quick buck.

Attachment Related.

1383257848155.jpg

Suggested posts