Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPhone vs. iPad

Solved!

iPhone vs. iPad

Okay, why do people with an iPad get to listen to whatever they want whenever they want, but those of us with an iPhone can only play their playlists on shuffle? That's completely unfair.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Its down to licensing, an iPad is a tablet (greater than 7") and an iPhone is a mobile device, that is just the way the cookie crumbles. The move to allow on demand playback on tablets was in response to falling PC sales and the fact tablets are rapidly replacing traditional laptops. A phone is still a phone sadly!

To be fair, everyone should be happy - you used to need premium to use Spotify on both of them! 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@josephd60 No you don't ;-). If you ever have that issue, then something isn't right.

You need a premium subscription in order to sync your tracks offline. Not to sync them between different platforms.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Marked as solution

Its down to licensing, an iPad is a tablet (greater than 7") and an iPhone is a mobile device, that is just the way the cookie crumbles. The move to allow on demand playback on tablets was in response to falling PC sales and the fact tablets are rapidly replacing traditional laptops. A phone is still a phone sadly!

To be fair, everyone should be happy - you used to need premium to use Spotify on both of them! 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I am finding that what's on my iPhone is completely different than what's on the iPad. I have two playlists on my iPhone.
Yet the iPad doesn't even have what I have on the iPhone.
It keeps showing all the playlists I keep deleting.

Now it's fixed. The playlists are in sync with each other.

Hi @josephd60,

Are you logged in with Facebook on both devices? If not, make sure you do.  

Glad to hear!

Last.fm | Twitter

I am on the fence about subscribing to premium. I thought you had to be a premium subscriber to have your playlists sync between the iPhone and iPad. Thanks!😊

What I also like about the premium subscription.
Having an iPhone, I can plug the phone into the USB in my car stereo, and use Spotify for all my music, without using data.
Marked as solution

@josephd60 No you don't ;-). If you ever have that issue, then something isn't right.

You need a premium subscription in order to sync your tracks offline. Not to sync them between different platforms.

Last.fm | Twitter

Ok, thanks again for the quick replies! 😊

Every time I get ready to sign up for premium, something else crops up.
I cannot understand why my playlist I created is different between the iPhone and iPad. I have music in my playlist that is not on my iPad.
Ok, I found it why, it can sometimes take awhile for the devices to sync.
I did sign up for premium. I love how I can go offline and listen to my playlists in my car. 😊

One question I do have. I remember seeing all my songs being auto saved.
Yesterday that stopped, if I create a playlist or save an album.
I have to manually save each track in my playlist, or album.
And even though the playlists and or albums are set to offline mode.
In the songs list, offline mode is toggled off. Is this how it's supposed to work? Thanks

On my Ipad I was able to fast forward and rewind and listen without any adds, interesting thing is I had never subscribed not even on my phone. When I checked on the Ipads spotify setting it showed a weird account name that isn't mine, about 28 letters long. It is a premium account! I don't know if this is the case with every ipad or just mine, but its great advantage for me 😉

It’s because Spotify are money hungry. If an iPad eventually gets data, they will do it with the iPad. Because they want you to pay them instead of using the free version when you are using data.

That’s the reason I’m here. I love listening to music on my iPad much better than my iPhone, because it has more “Premium features”, but it’s just so much to carry around, and has no mobile data. 

Suggested posts